Good band.....annoying vocals......

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GJK1959, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrygnyc

barrygnyc Synchromatic

Jan 1, 2011
    New York
    Not a band, per se, but Robben Ford.
    Great guitarist, but songs would be so much more powerful if someone else were singing them.

2. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ummmm....not really... Perhaps technically he's one of the better "rock" drummers, but I've seen Jack DeJohnette do more with a simple trap set than most drummers can manage with a large set, echo, loops and overdubs. I think Peart would be embarrassed to be called the best anyway...most musicians would be.

Except Clapton of course....because he's God, right?

:eek:

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Excuse me? You ever hear of Buddy Rich? Neal Peart is one of the most unswinging drummers I have ever heard in my life. Buddy could outplay him with one arm tied behind his back.

In the world of drumming, there was one Buddy Rich. He remains the pinnacle to which the rest of us aspire. Simply put, he had a gift that put him above all other drummers. The man was superhumanly talented.

Period.

4. ikaros_swede

ikaros_swede Synchromatic

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    Bob Dylan? Not really a band and nothing I consider good. But vocal? No no

5. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Kinda like Bruce Springsteen.

Great poets - terrible singers! :p

6. ouchcharlay

ouchcharlay Electromatic

Apr 19, 2010
    New York
  7. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Truly, I envy anyone who can sing in tune and has a bit of character to their voice.

I'm a huge AC/DC fan. Bon Scott was a terrific front man, Brian Johnson is even better. I read an interview with Brian Johnson once where he said something like"In the 70's AC/DC were hard rockers and everyone told them that hard rock was dead and that they'd missed the boat. Then Bon Scott died and they were told they were through. Then I joined and they said we wouldn't last another six months, then disco was huge and we were told we were dinosaurs. Then Punk hit and we were told we were dinosaurs, then the 80's metal bands hit and the pressure on us to blow wave our hair and wear fancy leather jackets was enormous. We were told if we didn't,we'd be left behind. Then we were told that guitar hero bands were dead. Now we're told that our music hasn't kept pace enough and that if we don't change with the times, we'll fall behind. The people who keep going extinct around us seem to use their precious time in the limelight telling us we're old fashioned."

(Those were not his words - he was probably far more eloquent, but that was the gist of his message.)

Hail hail Rock n Roll!

8. GJK1959

GJK1959 Country Gent

Mar 14, 2011
    Bishops Stortford
    I wasn't inferring Rush and AC/DC are crap - far from it - just annoying vox (imo) ;)

9. chilton

chilton Gretschie

Nov 2, 2010
    Finland
  10. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Ummm?

11. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Jack White in any form.

His interviews are like nails scratching a chalkboard.

12. ikaros_swede

ikaros_swede Synchromatic

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    Well not really, I like Springsteen in many ways. And I consider his vocal qualities beyond Dylan´s.

13. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Hearing NO RAIN reminded me why I subsisted on drugs and alcohol in the 80's. That crap was everywhere.

I can honestly say I could not identify a single Avenged Sevenfold, Kings of Leon, and a host of other musicians' songs. Radio sux. Pay radio is for those who play 512X but dream of prolines. I have several prolines, and will listen to my used CD's, thank you.

Let's see, who else can I piss off this blustery Saturday morning?

AC/DC - could never sit through a whole song, let alone a cd. Except for 1 song, Whole Lotta Rosie. I think Jets are cheap ripoffs of Les Paul's (for the record, I have a 6120 Western with leather, cheezy G brand, and western inlays - the bulldog puppy of guitars, so ugly it's cute, just like the Deke Dickerson!). Chet Atkins was a turncoat.

That oughta ruffle a few feathers.

14. HOTROD 6120

HOTROD 6120 Gretschie

Mar 16, 2011
    NORTH CAROLINA
    RUSH.....Jeff ,One would think you'd like Jack being your both from the Motor City. Just kiddin' man.lol

15. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    Sorry but listen to Ruby Tuesday, Beast of Burden, Time on My Side, Shattered...heck listen to anything they have ever done with Micks voice... awefull.

Listen to some solo Richards stuff...he's not great, but at least I can stand to listen to it.

I cant stand the stones, but its just Micks voice really. The only exception I can think of is Under my Thumb. I like the song so well I can stand to hear him sing it. I would rather if Richards sang it though.

THe Stones are the one band that would have benifited by getting Gary Shorone

16. NJBob

NJBob Gretschie

Nov 16, 2008
    New Jersey
    Pay radio: I drive NJ-to-Cleveland and back a couple times a month. Sirius is great! Especially when driving through the mountains of Bumf***, PA.

AC/DC: You Shook Me All Night Long get me an extra half mile on the treadmill.

Jets: Jets are so different from LP, except profile. Nothing elese is remotely similar. And what does a 6120 have to do with a Jet?
    Besides, the Sharks didn't even have a guitar.

Chet: Can you blame him? I think Tiny Tim would have left Baldwin, too.

I agree with everything else in your post, though.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey

I think you mean "Cherone." Like Jagger or not, he's the poster boy for all time of the rock lead singer, and there's no denying his iconic status and success.

18. rick31797

rick31797 Synchromatic

Oct 27, 2009
    Canada

Fletch your my kinda guy..lol seen AC/DC a few years ago, the best show ever..no wonder they sell out so fast.

See Buddy on u-tube.. no doubt a good drummer,get the most out of his small drum kit, but Neil is using a kit 3 times bigger and uses it all.I think buddy would be lost using Neils kit.
    NOT!!!!!! .LOL

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Buddy got tired of hearing people going on and on about Louie Bellson's two bass drums, so he rigged up a double bass drum set for a concert back in the 60's, and from all accounts, Buddy rewrote the book on double bass drumming right then and there. And most likely with little or no rehearsal. Then, he put the second bass drum away and never did it again.

And just for the record, Buddy would have done just fine playing a large set had he chosen to do so. He didn't need to. Four drums was all he needed. The second floor tom held his towel.

No offense to anyone, but I've been playing drums for 45 years, so I do have a bit of experience in this area. There is nobody living or dead who had the technical facility and God-given talent Buddy had. Yes, he could be a pri**, but he could back it up. Louie Bellson came close. Ed Shaughnessy came close, Gene Krupa came close and even he admitted Buddy was the greatest. And there were others, like Big Sid Catlett, Max Roach, Elvin Jones and Joe Morello on the jazz side, and Carl Palmer, Peart and John Bonham in rock. Buddy could smoke them all.

Ask Neal Peart who the world's greatest drummer was. I already know what he'd say.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.