Gonna do a Gretsch build

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by WingZero, Oct 21, 2021.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    The jack plate can be useful if you make the hole in the guitar just large enough so you can pull the jack out of the guitar through that hole, but small enough that the plate will cover it up. That is not necessary, but the jack plate will hold the jack just as securely and that makes it easier to pull out the jack and thread the jack onto the plate and then screw the plate on the body.

WingZero likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Modding is great fun. Do it for yourself, following an idea and it'll be worth it. Pictures mandatory of course. Welcome.

I have had a long attachment to the old Quebec Nordiques of the WHA. I even own Real Cloutier and Marc Tardif jerseys!

[​IMG]

bigjohnbates and section2 like this.
  3. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    There’s an easier way to install jack plates: use a chopstick. Insert the stick into the jack and unscrew the nut, sliding the nut over the stick. If you’re lucky you can add the plate on the outside of the body shell without additional adjustments. If you’re not so lucky you may need to push the jack out the f hole and adjust the internal nut, remove a washer, or otherwise compensate for the thickness of the plate. If you’re really unlucky you’ll need to solder in a new jack with a longer threaded section. To reinstall, insert the chopstick into the jack and carefully maneuver it back into place. Slip the nut and any lock washer, etc., over the stick and tighten.

Pre-curve the plate to match the radius of the body before starting the process; drill tiny pilot holes (to avoid causing cracks in the shell) and carefully drive the screws to hold it in place.

I guess I’ve elaborated quite a ways from the OP, but I just couldn’t delete this after writing it all out…

Good luck!

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful place. Glad you're here.

5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome, @WingZero! Congratulations on your new guitar. I have to ask - is the Le Continental Restaurant still in operation?

6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  7. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    I actually have that goalie stick you see in the picture, belonged to Daniel Bouchard who was friend with my grandma I believe! But I have to be honest, I've been living in Montreal for a long time before moving to Québec city for work, I do not regret it though!

Yes it is! http://www.restaurantlecontinental.com/en/home.html
    Quite a good restaurant but also: not cheap!

mrfixitmi and new6659 like this.
  8. sacrilege? Well I am told in the current year anything or anyone can be modded to look like something else :)

Me? I'd take the money I would use to mod and buy an Eastman T386, I got one used for €600 recently.

9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello WingZero and welcome to GT, it's nice to have you join us.

Enjoy doing the mods you are contemplating, it's your G2622 so do as you want.

10. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    Welcome !

LOL

Also .... it is sacrilege to mod a Gibson 335 to look like a Gretsch.

Seriously , Do what makes you happy.

What matters is you enjoying your guitar and your happiness. Life is short happiness can be scarce at times. Build it your way and ENJOY. No Rules.

Again welcome.

section2 and WingZero like this.
  11. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Welcome @WingZero,

There is not any shame in modding a Streamliner, they are great platforms at a very competitive cost, (especially used), and will give you the exclusivity without the custom shop cost.

As others have said, life is too short, we end up having more regrets for not taking the chance.

Good Luck my friend!

Zeek and WingZero like this.
  12. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Is that even possible? I think its easier to stipe down a gretsch to 335 level than the opposite

13. drstrangefunk

drstrangefunk Electromatic

Aug 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    What's wrong with an Epiphone Dot?

14. rocko

rocko Electromatic

A warm welcome from chilly Alberta! Once contracted, Gretsch madness knows no borders and there is no cure. :)

15. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    Howdy from the desert southwest!

16. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Ha - I would say the double cuts have enough similarity ... what pickups are you gonna use? P90s or Filtertrons? Cause humbuckers are sacrilege lol

17. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    The issue is that I had a guitar with single coils, and another with P90s.... I'm missing the humbucker spectrum soooo :S
    But the pickups ain't Gibson's, but Bootstraps

bigjohnbates likes this.
  18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Edit: I feel I should explain, jack plates are a big deal around here, most of us agree that every semi or hollowbody should have a plate installed. If you've seen pics where the guitar fell and punched the jack into the body you will install a plate and potentially save a ton of money and grief.

The way I install jack plates (with the least amount of trouble and no guitar mods) is to get a 1/4" wooden dowel rod from a hobby, hardware or craft store (or even the craft aisle at malwart). Usually only a buck or two and make sure it is a little bigger than 1/4" (mine was .015" oversize). If too small you can wrap it with tape.

I cut off a piece about four inches long and sand the end to taper it slightly so it just starts into the jack, then tap it in until it is wedged in tight. Now you can hold the dowel while you remove the nut and washer and obviously the dowel keeps the jack from falling back into the body.
    Prep the plate by tapping with a soft hammer until it fits the curve of the body, now slide it over the dowel and reinstall the nut.
    I use a 1/16" drill bit in my mototool to drill pilot holes for the plate screws, then I drive the screws into a candle first to wax them up.
    Works great, fast and easy.
    5129 Jack Plate A.JPG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    thunder58, WingZero and section2 like this.
  19. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Damn.... easy enough!

thanks!

thunder58 and Randy99CL like this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    not necessarily . The jack plate is usually screwed to the body of the guitar . So when you loosen the nut on the jack and remove the jack , the plate will stay in place

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.