Going to 11s -- neck adjustment necessary?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by dougmon, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Depends on how good your ear is, how perfect you want the intonation (by using a tuner to get it perfect), how slightly higher you can live with the string action, and even your playing style. In other words as was said earlier, close enough for rock and roll.
    I have a tendency on the low E to press it down thus making it sharp. If the action is too high I struggle with that, and so maybe need to tighten the truss rod. Really I’d say change to 11s and play for a week, then make any adjustments in bridge or truss rod. Basically only make changes after the strings and wood settle down and you’ve played it repeatedly, and then feel somethings needs to be/not be adjusted.

mrfixitmi, G5422T and dougmon like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was adjusting one and noticed I didn’t take tension off all the way. It was more of a gel thing if the nut felt snug strings came off as did the nut. I am very skittish with truss rods, probably overly so.

capnhiho likes this.
  3. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I am probably going to be the same. I come from a long line of people whose motto has to be "making things worse when trying to improve them."

I'm just going to stick the 11s on today and see how I feel about them. Thanks everyone for the advice.

capnhiho and G5422T like this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    ^Good strategy there.
    Swap strings, let it stretch out/settle in, then adjust when and if necessary. :)

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    LOL, I can't argue with that motto! Not my motto, but how life is with me working on anything.

I've always figured that if I could make it worse, then I could make it better.

It's all a matter of one's comfort level doing adjustments on their instrument.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Henry likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The good thing about making things worse is it makes it easier to make them better.

Bertotti, dougmon and G5422T like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, and I actually feel smart for a second or two! Lol

Henry and dougmon like this.
  8. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I've had that feeling! It was wonderful!

So...I put on some D'Addario Balanced Tension strings (11-50), and the weird thing is, I do think they sound better. There might be a few things contributing. One, the strings I replaced were about three weeks old. Two, the slightly heavier strings make it easier to pick precisely; I can't explain it, it's just more of a comfortable feeling.

Also, I went from Pyramid Nickel Classics to the D'Addario, and I believe the D'Addario might be slightly brighter. But I'll have to wait a few weeks to really find out, though.

There doesn't really seem to be much difference in the intonation that I can tell. But that kind of stuff may come up later.

If any of you out there have recommendations for strings, please chime in. I'm still very much at the experimentation stage as far as heavier strings, and I wouldn't mind more input.

Thanks everyone!

G5422T likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I thought I was smart, then I had a kid and learned better. After the first kid, I thought I was stupid, then I had a second one and learned better.

Just kidding kids!!

MTurner and G5422T like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    We are so lucky to have YT today, there are many videos showing how to setup many different guitars. I always watch a few videos to find how the pros do it.

dougmon, Mr Swisher and G5422T like this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Good start, and you know what you're hearing and how it plays for you.

String wise, I've pretty much "settled in" with D'Addario XL's. I've tried many brands over the years, and keep coming back to XL's and the brightness that I hear and like.

I like the tone and feel of Ernie Balls too, but they seem to go dead quickly for me. I can kill a set in a day or two, and then their edge is off.

Just keep trying different sets and gauges, and step one is done. Lol

12. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    The person who recommended 11-52 to me came back and recommended D'Addario EXL115 (11-49). The gauges are so close to what I was using, I can't imagine that I'll have to do much tweaking if any.

And because I'm crazy to try new stuff, I might try the Thomastik-Infeld BeBop Jazz 11-47. What can it hurt? Beside my pocketbook...

G5422T likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I used to run 11-40 exl115 on all my guitars then switched to nyxl to me not a nice-sounding but very one lasting and now onto TI 12's in Jazz Swings and Jazz Bebops. Best sounding strings yet and at 15 months still going strong. I rotate between four electrics and that may attribute to some of the longevity but just being on and tuned up hasn't seemed to cause any loss in tone. Figure cost per month buy the length of time they are on vs the initial cost I am now saving money.

dougmon likes this.
  14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Lol. I have my share of those things.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I use Elixir 11-49s on my Gretsches and really like ‘em. The normal 10s I would use on my Gibson’s just felt too slinky on the slightly shorter 24.6 scale.

Mojo Joshuatree likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You'd expect heavy string to have more amplitude cause of increased mass. I found they ring more even than a light set, and in some cases could lower the action slightly. Completely counter intuitive.

FWIW Pyramid Nickel classics(orange) are pure nickel wound so they will sound warmer than D'ad XL or NY(both nickel finished steel if I'm not mistaken). For an even comparison you need the Pyramid red I think(never tried'm).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    dougmon and G5422T like this.
  17. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    That makes sense.

While I liked the warmth of the pure nickel, I did think they were a little boomy for general use. Maybe if I were a straight up jazz player, they'd work better for me.

Thanks for the tip about the Pyramids -- in any case, I'm splurging on some T-I Jazz BeBops. Or at least I'm trying to talk myself into spending that much money on a set of strings... o_O

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The wraps in the Bebops are quite noisy to me but it makes you work on fingering technique. Oddly it feels to my my finger tips grab them more. I do not know if anyone else experiences that. I have been told I’m just not normal.

19. IainMac

IainMac Newbie

Sep 21, 2017
    London, UK
    Buy a set of feeler gauges and keep the neck relief correct whatever strings you use. Are you confident its correctly set up with your current strings? Neck relief is never correct when you buy a guitar anyway.

dougmon likes this.
  20. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    If relief and strings action were good (low) in 10 then it will be ok in 11. If they were a little high then it will need an tussrod adjustment.

dougmon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.