Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Glenn Frey's Son, Deacon, Is Going To Replace His Dad On Eagles Tour

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by ZackyDog, May 18, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Don is one of the greats, but he burned a couple of bridges.

2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Didn't Henley say, right after Frey's death, "that's it, the Eagles are no more"? (I paraphrase)

3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Presumably he said that when he had more money.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don't know if he has any kids but imagine Brian Setzer being replaced in the Stray cats. GT would implode with the indignity.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ..... just another thought

Do you really think Adam Lambert is drawing the crowds that Freddie mercury did with Queen ? I saw Queen / Freddie Mercury when he was alive , 3 times . There is nobody like him . I don't even have the interest to see Queen now .

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    TSims1 and ruger9 like this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The only "substitution" like this I could stomach was Jason replacing John Bonham. THAT seemed "right."

Actually, Van Hagar too BUT- I don't compare those 2 bands, they were different. But Van Halen w/o Anothiny? No- maybe if Anthony was DEAD the nepotism would be tolerated, but NO. I've been done with EVH's antics for years now.

But Journey with the Phillipino guy? NO. Bon Jovi w/o Sambora? No. Aerosmith w/o Perry? No.

Frankly, I don't see AC/DC anymore w/o Malcom, and CERTAINLY NOT with that [email protected] singing now.

Ricochet likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Freakin hysterical...

[​IMG]

thunder58, Henry and ruger9 like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, a couple of things here. Back in the day when Freddie was alive the band was relevant and pushing the musical envelope. It's clear he was the main songwriter.
    Brian May is still writing new material but it's not having much of an impact.
    When I saw Adam Lambert with the band a couple of years ago, the place was packed and the show was really good. Lambert actually has a greater vocal range than Freddie. The show was very tastefully done and often became a Freddie Tribute through the video screen. Roger Taylor's kid came out and played drums for a couple of numbers. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and see them, if only to watch Dr. May play.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Axeman

Axeman Electromatic

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    Yeah, but I just find it sad that they can't just put it behind them. Love Felder's guitar playing. And for the record he is a WAY better singer than Joe Walsh.

11. fishman919

fishman919 Electromatic

Sep 4, 2012
    Lubbock TX
    My favorite Eagles line up was with Felder, Meisner, and Leadon. I would have loved to see that group back in the day.

Axeman likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Derek Trucks joining his uncle's old band wasn't such a bad idea, although they play different instruments. I

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. Mudshark

Mudshark Gretschie

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I won’t comment on Frey’s son but I did find this interesting...

I grew up listening to the Eagles and saw them on their first tour supporting Jethro Tull and later on their huge “Hotel California Tour”. Their music was a soundtrack for many of us in the late 70s and early 80s.

It would appear that The Eagles management is suing a small hotel in the small Baja town of Todas Santos for using the name “Hotel California”.

https://www.rt.com/usa/386895-eagles-lawsuit-hotel-california/

Historically this old hotel was named in the 50s long before they they wrote the song.

I bought a t-shirt with the “Hotel California” name on it a couple of years ago while visiting this quaint little place. Check Todas Santos out if you are ever in the Baja much more authentic than Cabos.
    HotelCAL1950WEB.jpg hcalif.jpg
    todas2.jpg

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    thanks for the insight

15. Mudshark

Mudshark Gretschie

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mudshark likes this.
  17. Mudshark

Mudshark Gretschie

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    It is really just a tiny boutique hotel with a dozen rooms with a bar/lounge owned by some Canucks.

Of musical note: The hotel has served as one of the venues for the Todas Santos music festival conceived by part time resident Peter Buck (REM).

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Deacon might be a huge asset to the band. Many bands survive significant personnel changes and the Eagles have too. When Timothy Schmidt replaced Randy Meisner the Eagles flourished. This may be no different and Deacon might bring some serious talent with him. Given the Eagles are a band that showcases fabulous talent I doubt they would hire Deacon simply for his name.

I saw YES with Jon Davidson singing Jon Anderson's parts. With respect to Mr. Anderson's considerable talent, Davidson's vocals and stage presence were indistinguishable. He was fabulous.

Robbie likes this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Mixed feeling on this. The Eagles have been a favorite ever since I first heard that open G Major in Take It Easy, way back in '72. I saw them live, once, August 1 1978. They were stunningly good.

I would say that the Frey, Henley, Leadon, Meisner, Felder lineup was my favorite, although I was wit' 'em all the way, until the bustup with Felder. After that, it just wasn't the same for me. I'm not taking sides, I've heard everyone's arguments in the matter and don't have any desire to condemn any particular individual.

Let me use another favorite band as an example. Chicago has been high on my list for nearly fifty years. After Terry Kath died it was never the same, but the original members are well within their rights to perform and carry on the name.

I would have to say the same for the Eagles, but when personnel change, so does the sound of the band. Every combination of musicians will have its own unique result. That's the beauty of live music; that's the risk of live music. I just hope that they keep their standards high.

Robbie likes this.
  20. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    I'd often see something like this as just money grabbing but I'm not so quick to jump to that conclusion here.

This would never happen unless Henley was the driving force and I really don't see that he needs to. He's got plenty of draw on his own to sell tickets and pack out big venues on his own till the end of his days. And he wouldn't have to share out the cash as much that way either.

I get the feeling he really does want to carry on his friends legacy for the people that loved the band.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Robbie likes this.