Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Glenn Frey's Son, Deacon, Is Going To Replace His Dad On Eagles Tour

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by ZackyDog, May 18, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Have never heard him perform. I think it would be very cool if it all worked out.

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Roger49

Roger49 Synchromatic

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I always think this sort of thing is a little scary.......as in spooky.
    Don't know why.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    " there will be one other musician along for the ride " Henley states ......... I say it's Jackson Brown .

A week or so I posted a photo of Glenn Frey on my Facebook page and simply said ... " damn straight I miss this guy " . I'm sure his son is very talented but it just doesn't seem the same to me . R.I.P. Glenn and thank you for all you have given the musical world ....damn straight I miss ya

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    While I understand the desire to continue touring (and making the money it brings them), this bothers me. Glenn Frey was as essential to the Eagles as Henley and to carry on, even with his son filling in, seems unnecessary at best, dishonorable at worst. In one sense, they'll just be a tribute band to the real Eagles.

ruger9, MTurner and thunder58 like this.
  7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I love the Eagles, but I'm inclined to agree with drmiltruck. I'm not casting any doubt or shade on Deacon, but this seems wrong. Most of those guys have made an obscene amount of money touring, and Henley/Frey have especially cashed in on their catologs continuing to sell as well as being the "bosses" of the last several tours. Glenn was as integral a part of the Eagles, as a guitar cable is to an electric guitar: you can have the guitar, and you can have the amp....but without the cable, you ain't getting any beautiful tone.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Unless you upgraded to wireless.

This is hardly unusual, Malcolm Young's cousin stepped in for AC/DC and they continue to tour. It might be a little weird if Dhani and Julian stepped in to play with Paul and Ringo as the Beatles. but I bet there would be a line for the tickets.
    I'm sure they will sound fine on stage.

9. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    And I'm not saying, if I were Don Henley, and someone came to me offering an obscene amount of money to continue the band, that I would be too good to take it! Lol

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They probably make $1mm a night. Hard to give that up.

11. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Never enough $$$$ no matter how much you have. So, with this line up they have one original and three sidemen in Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmitt, and now Glenn Frey's son, granted they will be great tribute band. They will sell tickets just like The Beach "BOY" does. No more Beach Boys just a lone Beach Boy and sidemen and women. Turn out the lights the party is over. I really liked the Eagles have most all their music and don't need to see them ever again.

12. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    probably one other sideman too...I don't think Henley plays drums at all anymore. It's a shame that no reconciliation can happen with Don Felder. I know he's as guilty for the nasty breakup as anyone, but Frey and Henley weren't exactly saints in the whole deal either. I always enjoyed his playing though.

13. JimB1122

JimB1122 Electromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
    Why not give it a try? It'll either work out, or it won't. It's sure to be different, no doubt, but some young blood may not be the end of the world for the other old geezers!

14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    So who is the last Beach Boy standing?

15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Sad. Not the same. It will only make us miss Glenn all the more. I wish they would have taken the(imo)classier route and left the Eagles legacy alone. These things never seem to end well.

16. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Mike Love tours with the "Beach Boys" and somehow apparently owns the rights to the name.

MTurner likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    However Glenn Frey is more equivalent to Angus than Malcolm. Would it be AC/DC if Angus was dead?

Jason Bonham can replace his father or Wolfgang Van Halen can replace Michael Anthony but swap out Jimmy Page or EVH and it's not the same band.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    The Eagles always prided themselves on sounding exactly live like their recordings and why not play music out if that's what you feel like doing. I'm sure Glenn's son can get the job done just fine!

19. Axeman

Axeman Electromatic

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    Bring Felder back!

ZackyDog likes this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Not the best recording; I can't make out Deacon's vocal.

Once the new Eagles play Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Sunrise, we'll be able to hear how similar (dissimilar?) Deacon's vocals compare to his late dad.

21. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I saw them a few years ago. They obviously used some pre-recorded tracks as well as some behind the scenes musicians. One time, Don Henley was banging out the rhythm just on a snare drum, yet there were obvious cymbals heard as well. Another time during the breakdown of Take It to the Limit, Glenn Frey stepped back from the microphone yet a falsetto was heard singing the words.