Gigging amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Gibbsy, May 26, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can't disagree. I went down the wrong rabbit hole and wish someone would have pointed that out to me early on. Oddly enough I would have listened. I also heard you're getting better and the tone is great. I honestly thought I was on the right path years later I know better there really needs to be a balance. For me, the laziness is the knowing better but doing nothing about it within your life constraints of course.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Henry and Anacharsis like this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Actually, more are learning than before. Music schools all over the country say the same thing. More and more students, just not for electric guitar. You just don't hear kids playing in garage bands, because the rock generation invented the HOA, and banned those garage bands. They also domesticated rock and turned it into a suburban extracurricular activity, delivered by SUV/minivan and endorsed by mom and dad. You can't rebel by doing what the previous generation tells you to do.
    Access to information also means access to distributing crap - which is immediately put on equal footing with rigorously developed knowledge. Misinformation is the problem. We can find someone who will authoritatively declare whatever it is we want to hear (or whatever will help us win our bar/coffee shop arguments) as fact.

Stefan87 and wabash slim like this.
  3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I think there is still a market for 50W tube amps, even though I think there is less need for them with today's PAs. I see plenty of guys gigging with them, though it's pretty rare that I do anymore. For the past five or six years, I've most often gigged with a 60W Tech 21 PE-60, but it's SS and super light. I actually bought a Laney LFR-112 (200w FRFR) right before things shut down, but haven't gigged with yet. It has loads of power, but is noticeably lighter than my JC-120 or tube amps.

4. afire

afire Country Gent

That's right, a folding machine. And yes, it's the cathode biased MkI version. It uses a network of cathode resistors (hiding behind the big black bypass caps), rather than a larger shared resistor.

hcsterg likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well with changing gig conditions and technology over past 10 yrs there's much less need or demand for high watt amps in 2020.

I sold my 50w Mesa Express 5:50 last yr cos there was no place I could crank it anymore.
    My 16 pound Mark V 25 has more than enough power for any gig I'll do (10w and 25w), and is lighter, so found I wasn't using the 5:50 much.

Now with C-19 everyone gigs from home and who knows when the live music scene will open up again.
    Like everyone my gig rig has become my home rig.

But there's still a decent demand for 50w plus tube amps.
    Many old school guys love "pushing air" in the old 50-100w stacks.
    And guys on large property's like @Bertotti have space to crank those dinosaurs without bothering anyone :D

new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I only scare the deer. I came home one day while a friend of mine up on the top floor under the roof on the right side, yep a room is in there. He was trying out the Triple XXX half stack. I turned in the drive and looked at my wife and said I hope he isn’t blasting grandma, she doesn’t hear so well, because I could hear the amp at the end of the drive. Grandma didn’t even know he was playing. Crazy. Being in the middle of nowhere has its advantages! I have had critters hang in a tree line and listen while I play the mandolin. Kind of cool when that happens.

6874C123-EC54-4023-AB5D-BF1084027DC9.jpeg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I sometimes think the right tone can make you push harder. If you’re a beginner with a cheap rig you don’t like you may get discouraged and give up, but if you can get the tone you want more or less it may push you to play the songs you like better and practice more. I was on both sides of the fence; started out with a squier tele in middle school with a tiny solid state Marshall, got the sound I was looking for with cheap gear and moved onward and upward to my 53 jet and Princeton. I’m 34 by the way

Stefan87, Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Not sure why but this thread is making me want to plug in my old Fender Twin Reverb;)

hcsterg, wilblee, Gibbsy and 3 others like this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    For your son, that makes sense to me, why would you spend more money on things that don't bring him joy? Just because we like electic guitars and amps, doesn't mean everyone else does. Tommy Emmanuel and Willie Nelson seem to get by with one main acoustict guiar . . . but maybe they are just lazy ;)

Generations just have different priorities. Many generations value mobility- in the past that meant owning a car. Now, that means having a mobile phone and an Uber or Lyft account.

That one critical resource needed for amps . . . real estate / housing . . . is more expensive now relatively than it has in the recent past. Until this year, most young people moved to expensive places to find jobs. Having the space to keep an amp, let alone play it, may be too expensive.

The most universal trend, however, is that young people are simply not as materialistic as previous generations. They don't want a fleet of cars and piles of stuff they don't use.. They value experience over possessions. For work, they value morals more highly, and money less highly, than previous generations. These are good things IMO!

Stefan87, wabash slim and RomanS like this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Exactly! Remember when rock music meant not conforming with the old people? Now old people judge young folk for not conforming and listening to/playing rock!

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Our experiences with this new generation are vastly different. But I am with my son. I honestly prefer my Martin 000. I love electrics as well but could live without them if I needed to. But at his age, I wanted a passable electric and amp so bad I could taste it. He is not like I was. Funny thing is I wanted that electric because of a specific sound and tone I heard on the radio. When I asked what it was my dad said it must be an electric guitar. I found out later it was a synth. It makes me wonder how things would have changed had I know that then. I am at a point were sentimentality keeps these things in my possession but I keep thinking I should sell some of this redundant stuff. I think we have done a better job of teaching kids not to chase things for the sake of having them. My parents being from the depression wanted us to have things and that became a goal of sorts for many of my generation. I have ventured too far from the meaning of the thread. I think there is a place for these big amps still but it isn't the traditional gig. I think they will be more of a novelty very soon, the emulator's modelers whatever term we use are really starting to get pretty good. I don't think it will be very long before sitting in the same room with a tube amp and an amp modeled form it sounds identical. I have tube amps because when I went for an ss it just didn't fill the room the same way the tube amp did at the same volume. Soon that won't be an issue. Sad but nice not to have tube backups but then you will be needing to replace amps more often because they will be software-driven and apps and such will be abandoned and the player will need the new current one. Or parts inside will be discontinued and you will spend as much to fix it as replace it.

lp_bruce likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hey beautiful ranch - are you running any stock on it?

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No I only have a little corner. Everything around me is a neighbors. I have 5.5 acres that’s enough to keep anyone busy every weekend. No we just have a garden. I grew up on a farm and didn’t want to live in town anymore. I’m to red Neck for suburbia. And I can be loud which neighbors don’t usually like.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well glad to hear that Henry cos it's directly the opposite here in Australia now o_O:D

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea sounds like your experience is more in line with mine. At least with the 18-30 crowd. Under 18 is up in the air, my kids seem less focused on stuff but then again stuff just isn’t made like it used to be and everything seems to be a copy or remake. Mine are just beginning their teens so we will see how that changes. I do keep hoping one day one of my kids will want to crank and amp or just play a song with me. My son has seems to have given up on guitar. My daughter just doesn’t want to do anything on clarinet that isn’t in her program for school. Wierd.

Waxhead likes this.
  16. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    When I started out gigging over 50 years ago, we would turn up at a British Legion, (a social club that provided entertainment for ex-servicemen), only to be told "No Rock 'n Roll". Nowadays, (pre-covid), that's what they want to hear!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    ffooky, new6659, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, if you think about it, that’s what many of us said about hip hop and trap music.
    Which are what the kids love the most in these days.
    It’s the circle of life.:)

new6659 and Henry like this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I miss the days when I had to reach above shoulder height to adjust the amp controls. Bell-bottom jeans were cool because the legs would flap if you stood close to the amp......Ahhh... the '60s.......:cool:

wabash slim, new6659, mbkri and 2 others like this.
  19. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Like they said, ‘if you never played with a couple of stacks behind you, you have never really played’ :D:D

new6659, audept and Bertotti like this.
  20. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    In my experience managing younger people, even those positive stereotypes are a bit misplaced. As regards materialism: I see a lot of high end clothes on relatively modestly paid workers. I've also observed little functional difference in morals when it comes to the jobs accepted and sought. However, I think your overall point is valid. The "disparage the kids" thing is as old as writing itself, and it just comes with age.

They "are immune to your consultations." - Bowie :)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.