Gigging amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Gibbsy, May 26, 2020.

1. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Reading the thread on member's preferred practise amps, got me to thinking,
    in these uncertain times, are retailers actually shifting higher powered gigging amps?
    How many of us have got them just sitting at home taking up space, perhaps never to be used again?
    Will retailers start knocking them out at silly prices just to recoup some money?
    And who would buy a 50-100w amp these days?

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    hard to say for sure. It may be that the outside events using a bigger amp are more likely than small tight clubs!

sgarnett and new6659 like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    PA systems have come a long way since the '70s. Used with a microphone, a 15 watt amp is more than enough to use on a gig. No one needs multiple stacks anymore. The stacks are only in the PA these days. A small amp is far easier on your back. If you've got roadies, it's easier on theirs.

4. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    My guess is you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for a giant price drop. They'll probably just hold out until they can claim a big loss on a bailout application. I was thinking the same thing regarding a new car, but the prices have not budged.

Anacharsis likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Me ! Or building it, otherwise... :rolleyes:;)

A+!

loudnlousy and Robbie like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Me to! Would love the MarkV90 Mesa! But I have 120 watt triple xxx half stack at home and it sure doesn’t sit idle and a 40 watt combo triple xxx. Does the Fryette ps100 count? I have cranked it sounds great. I don’t let wattage stop my practice. I have found that although I may not get that amps cranked tones at bedroom volume there are still some good tones in them at bedroom volumes.

loudnlousy and Waxhead like this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a JCM800 50W head and 2 x 12 cabinet that I had on last Friday night in the living room, I'd have no issues gigging it if I had a band to play in.
    That's the joy of the master volume, can still use it at home and not blow the windows out lol, not the same as cranking it but can still get decent tones at decent levels.

8. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    True, but you can't do your guitar god pose against a tiny 15 watter! :)

SAguitar, m_n_b, loudnlousy and 4 others like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sure you can you just have to redefine you pose!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    While my guitar amps are 5, 10, and 15 watts, my keyboard rig/PA is 200 watts. I use a small computer speaker rig if I don't need all that juice.

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I need a sub for my keyboard the QSC k10!does well but nothing beats a good sub for those massive low synth tones!

wabash slim likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's why someone came up with a wall of fake Marshall double stacks with a Fender Twin behind one of them. If I do a guitar god pose that's exactly what it is---a pose.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I use a pair of Mackie TH-15s. Plenty of bottom end from 2X15"s. More than enough to annoy the neighbors.

Bertotti likes this.
  14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I wouldn't keep an amp if it didn't gig & do low volume. If we get blessed that wife's health improves..don't even care which rig for live i would grab anymore. The fun is in the variety and the dif responses in the attack. Makes ya play em to extract what the songs need.

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    They weren't selling many big amps in the first place. According to the Music Trades data, amp sales have dropped like a stone lately. From 2005, when the total amp market (guitar and bass combined) was $397 million to 2017, when the amp market was $148 million. Unit sales were cut nearly in half, and average unit street price went down - and that's not accounting for inflation.

16. instroverb

instroverb Electromatic

Jun 27, 2012
    Colorado
    I use my 65 showman as my only amp. As Billy Zoom once said, use your volume knob on the amp, that’s what it’s for volume control.

Chmason85 likes this.
  17. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I join the refrain of people who say "I would!"

If you have a master volume, then other features matter more than wattage IMO. If you like an amp and it's 100W but you can still keep it at bedroom volume...I would go for that.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have a 50w Ampeg at the foot of my bed right now:eek:

19. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I noticed that all my wandering from one amp to another always lead me back to my old Hiwatt 50w head. It has a master volume so there’s no place I couldn’t play.
    I don’t think that the young fella that has just started to struck some chords would dream, one day, to be a ‘great bedroom player’, probably it will dream to play at the biggest club, or park, or stadium of his town.
    So no, they won’t stop selling those 50/100 watters. :)
    It may be that as we get old, we become picky about our sound and tired of carrying amplified coffins on the road, but there’s nothing that a 50 watter couldn’t do that a 10 watt could. Maybe it’s the opposite ;)

20. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    With my Mesa Lone Star Special and a Sennheiser e906 I can play any venue - especially those venues likely to hire me.

The LSS isn’t exactly easy on the back, but it’s easier than some of the gear I used to lug around. Sounds better, too.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.