Gibson Sg 61 reissue

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by freddyfingers, May 31, 2012.

1. GretschGhost

GretschGhost Gretschie

May 22, 2012
    Heaven
    This is the same spec as the current run of '61 SG's.

However, it's a little beat up and the price is too high. With the 12% off we have right now you could have a new one for about $300 more, with a warranty, in mint condition.

2. Thanks, but it wouldn't match my hot rod. I was able to convince the wife to get the hot rod cause it was blue, which she likes. Married guys jump through hoops some times. I found another on ebay for 1199, I am watching that as well. Thanks, I am thinking new is better, as if something is wrong, I have outs. So i will keep that in mind. Thanks!

3. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    my SG is one of my go to jazz guitars. they are not just for metal and hard rock. you don't have to love ac/dc to love SG's!

4. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    "Married guys jump through hoops some times." See that's why I come here, to upgrade my knowledge base ! :)

5. I should rephrase that, "Happily married guys named Fred, that like to occasionally acquire different guitars and musical nick knacks, will, from time to time, perform like a circus poodle, by jumping through little flaming hoops". I love the little treats I get afterwards. Yum Yum Yum!

6. A few years ago, I never would have agreed. But time has taught me to open the mind and eyes. After I played one, I realized that it is multi faceted. If i spelled that right. I wonder how many other guitars I snubbed away by catoragizing them.

7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    It's truly incredible how we categorize stuff in our heads. Try a Hagstrom Super Swede!

8. Just an update. I have been commuting to Richmond this week, and every day after work/training, I stopped by and played a few. Ovder all, at GC and SA, the 61 sg reissue played the best, actually had the best set up. The satin worn ones I think can okay as good, but with a poor set up, hard to tell. Played the pete townsend reissue again, poor set up as well. I noticed that both the 61 reissues felt different. Not dramatic, but different. I have read that no two are exactly the same, as the final stage is hand sanded. Some may find this appealing, but to me it means you have to play the one you are going to get, as you never know how one you order may feel. The townsend felt like the thinnest neck of all. I like the P90 sound, but if I can only get one, I liked the 57 classics over all. All were played through a fender blues deluxe. Both stores remarkably had a used one, and I used the same settings in both stores. I asked about the angus young thinner model, neither had it, but both asked for me to pay, if I wanted to try it out. I didn't. Plus side, both stores agreed to match the price of online dealers. There are two gibson dealers that sell at least 15% below, and sometimes more so, no tax, no shipping. The stores said they would match it. So, pennines are adding up. Will play them a bit more. It sucks not being able to order a new one, and find out it doesn't feel as good, and you are stuck with one that who knows how many have sweat on, drooled on, played metal on,. scratched it,,,,,, it won't be virginal.

9. It would definatley save me some money! It looks interesting,m but have seen none around here. Even though it is nit an LP, it looks a lot like one.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    So does a Jet. :)

All different beasts though.

11. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    Ok, so I've had little interest in Gibson guitars for ten years, and I'm clearly out of the loop. What the hell is this "baked maple" nonsense?

12. I am not the expert, but somehow there was an issue with the company, and how they acquired certain woods. Long story short, they had to come up with alternatives to rosewood. One option was baked maple. Kiln dried, very hard. If you go to some gibson sights, you can get more details as to the why. Opinions vary. Die hard Gibson rosewood fans refuse to use it, others like the snappy sound it makes. As far as how long it lasts, no one knows as its only been used recently. From what I have read, guitar manufacturers will need to look into alternatives for a few different exotic, rare woods. Even Ebony is taking a hit. So in a nutshell, thats baked maple, its an alternative. I played it, didn't mound it. I was more concerned on how the guitar played in general.

13. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    OK, so this was related to the whole importing exotic rosewood timbers from India without them being "manufactured" in some way first... the FBI bust last year?
    I've always preferred rosewood for the feel, although the two guitars I've had with ebony necks were OK, too. I found the maple neck on my Tele 52 RI a bit sticky at times. But the idea of a blond neck on a Gibson does take a bit of getting used to. But an eco-friendly use of alternative timbers would go a long way with me as a selling point in this day and age.

14. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    I'm in the latter group. My Firebird non-reverse has baked maple, and I absolutely love it. Snappy, yes, for sure.

As for SGs -- I can play six "identical" SGs at GC, and they will all be different. I'd probably have to play a couple dozen to find one I'd want to own. The couple I do have are superlative: one has humbuckers and an ebony fretboard (oh baby); one has P90s and rosewood. Very different guitars.

15. The few baked maples I played were a dark finish. If you didn't know, it looks like a rosewood, which I guess might have been the goal.

16. So, where does one go to play 6 of the same models? I am guessing it includes a lot of driving, at least here in central VA.

17. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    I don't know what the SG situation is in VA, but around here, the Guitar Centers are flooded. You would probably find 4-6 to compare at the GC I normally go to, and there would be another 4-6 at the other GC, about 10 miles the other direction. Oh, and you could go about 300 yards down the street to the BestBuy, and play some more.

But the point is, it doesn't matter, because even the "identical" ones are so different. So you might as well just play whatever models you run across, and buy one that grabs you.

18. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    the gibson factory was actually raided by the FBI. not, "knock-knock, can we come in, you have some illegal wood." but an actual raid. they kicked in the doors, pointed guns at everyone who was there, and actually made them get on the ground and handcuffed them while they took the illegal rosewood. nobody was arrested, but still. i think that is unbelievable to do that. im sure the workers had no idea the wood was even illegal. this country can be so looney sometimes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.