Gibson question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by guitarfarm, Oct 3, 2021.

1. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I just got off Gibson's website and I couldn't find any archedtop guitars. When did they stop making the L-5 or the Super 400? A Super 400 has always been on my guitar bucket list.

garagegods likes this.
  2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, pretty interesting. The only one I can find now other than thin archtops etc is a Chuck Berry ES350.
    WTF Gibson?
    The good news is there are a ton of beautiful Gibson archtops on Reverb. The Super 400's are very expensive, but some Byrdland's etc are under $5000

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    guitarfarm likes this.
  3. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    guitarfarm likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well, let's hope some of the craftsmen are still around, not burger flippers trained by the Human Resources dept..........:eek::D
    But based on the only jazzbox they offer now (Chuck Berry ES350 at $10000),........just buy a vintage real Gibson.

guitarfarm likes this.
  5. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

For the price of a three quarter ton diesel pickup truck I could own a vintage Super 400. :rolleyes:

I can just imagine myself trying to explain that to my wife. :D

Viking Power and Fat Bastid like this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I noticed GC has one in their Vintage Used section for $17,000, which definitely puts it in "Don't even think about it, don't even breathe on it" territory for me. Beautiful guitar, though.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Heritage comes the closest these days although I think they've slimmed down a bit too.

8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    That's mid low end. :eek::D
    But there are amazing similar archtops much less expensive. I think a Super 400 body would be too big for me. ES275's are quite reasonable compared with the Super 400. Always coveted having a Byrdland which seem to be far less $ now than a 400. Not sure I would bond with the short scale or not though.
    I heard a guy play an old Johnny Smith in a bar once. Tone was amazing. They are pretty rare though. The tone was likely all his doing I suppose.... But that guitar had two full size, body installed, humbuckers. Most JS's have a mini at the neck or some with two minis. I dont know what the deal was with that guitar, but it said Johnny Smith on the truss cover.
    The Super 400 and the Tal Farlow have a longer scale I think.
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/14201/the-guild-and-gibson-johnny-smith-models/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Jeff67 likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I wanted a Byrdland ever since I saw Ted Nugent playing one.

Jeff67 likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    That's when I quit wanting one! :eek::D
    But seriously, I still have the Gibson price list from the early 60's with the Byrdland in it.....

toddfan likes this.
  11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I know what you mean actually. He was just my first exposure to one and I thought it was a cool guitar.

Funny that - I was just looking in a "The Eagles" magazine at the drug store rack - one of those compilation history things by Time Life or Rolling Stones. One of the photos showed Bernie Leadon coming out of a guitar store back in the 70's with various guitars hanging in the window and big price tags. LP - $400 (or something like that). I'll try to snap an iPhone shot of it and share here.

swivel likes this.
  12. garagegods

garagegods Electromatic

Sep 30, 2021
    Los Angeles
    I'm no expert but didn't Gibson close its doors a few years ago and was re established bought by a new corporation, dropping most all models to make only a few popular ones? and that excludes outrageous working mans UN-obtainable Custom Shop Models!

that's if your talking brand new Gibson's

13. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I'm not sure, but I think in like 1961 or so that Byrdland was something like $450! I'll have to find that old pricelist!

stevo likes this.
  14. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    Gibson Archtop Guitar Story...

Here is a picture of my 1937 Gibson L-7, which I acquired about 40 years ago - free of charge!

Gibson_L7_small.JPG

Story is...in the early 1980s I had some friends who were moving out of a house they were renting and they asked me if I would like to move in. Swell house on a hillside with a sweeping view of the Pacific, I thought great I'm moving in! They were leaving behind an Ibanez electric guitar which they had been given, and as nobody played and they knew I did they gave it to me. It was quite a nice guitar, double cutaway, with a multi ply neck through body construction, humbucking pickups, abalone dot inlay on a 24 fret ebony fingerboard. I could tell it was a very good instrument, but I didn't really connect with it and after a while traded it straight up at the local music shoppe for the L7.

Upon further review...and to the best of my recollection...the Ibanez in question most closely matches the Ibanez 2700 model from that era, and looked a lot like this (though it did not have an "Artist" plate on it anywhere):

upload_2021-10-8_16-22-6.png

At the time it was a choice, this one or that one, and I chose the L7.

Runamok, bhatta, guitarfarm and 2 others like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There are some other manufacturers that made fine archtops that are still somewhat "sleepers", Vega comes to mind, also some old Kay/Silvertone's are really nice. Here are some Vegas on line, i have a C56 that i got in terrible shape and fixed up into a player and its a fine guitar.
    While i wouldn't exactly call them cheap, they are nowhere near the price a comparable Gibson commands. Screenshot_2021-10-09-07-02-13-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-09-07-02-24-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-09-07-02-37-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-09-07-02-44-1.png Screenshot_2021-10-09-07-03-38-1.png
    Made in Boston Ma USA

new6659 likes this.
  16. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    You can still order one. Just contact your local Gibson dealer. The archtops are more labor intensive and don't sell as fast as something like a 335 or LP so they're special order. Many times Gibson has them in stock to send to your dealer.

Honestly, a new one is going to be expensive. I'm sure they're great but I personally would go for something from Heritage if I were looking for something new or an old Gibson, as the archtops are pretty affordable when you put them next to what a new one would cost.

I have an old ES-125 I paid $300 for in 1991. I don't miss the cutaway when I play jazz and it's a really great sounding well made guitar. I don't think they're a ton of money these days.

[​IMG]

Intoamartian, guitarfarm and stevo like this.
  17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    No, they filed bankruptcy but continued to operate until it was bought out and Henry J put out to pasture. They closed the Memphis facility (that did all the semi and hollowbodies) and sold it. Everything is made in Nashville now.

garagegods likes this.
  18. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    What Gibson should do is get Heritage to ghost build for them. Remember how nice those Stills Falcon models made by Heritage were?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.