Gibson Buys Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Freshy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Suffolk, South shore.

Freshy likes this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Waxhead is always saying that Fender amps are one trick ponies and that all they do is clean. But then there's all those countless great classic rock recordings (Rocky Mountain Way, Cat Scratch Fever, Neil Young, etc.) with awesome great overdrive sounds with just a guitar into an amp. So I'd say Fender amps can be pretty versatile. We differ on our opinions of the Dual Rectifier amps. I think the clean sounds are dull compared to a Fender or Vox amp. But it's okay to have different taste...it makes the world go round...:).

pmac11 and Freshy like this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah I know but they do control them. They have been wise to leave them alone for the most part which is a good thing.

Freshy likes this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    There are lots of CBS era Fender amps that sound wonderful. I expect the same to be said about Gibson era Mesa amps.

Freshy likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Mesa are not hardwired (at least not all of them, maybe some specific items are).

However, they are hand built in Petaluma, California. Almost everything is made there,from the cabinetry to printing their own PCB in house. They give tours and it is an impressive operation, though I am sure nothing compared to he blues Juniors being cranked out of China.

pmac11, radd and Freshy like this.
  6. Moonbirds

Moonbirds Electromatic

Aug 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    What about the blue angel?

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Overdrive pedals and Neil's is a unique broken amp.
    And yes you can get good light overdrive from some Fenders if you max them out.
    And where can the average punter max out a Twin Reverb.
    On some Fenders the overdrive you get when you max them is very ordinary too eg Princeton.

I'm not a big fan of Dual Rectifiers either.
    The cleans are ordinary I agree.
    But 5 yrs later they released the Roadster Rectifier which has Lonestar cleans - different beast :)

Henry and Freshy like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    What about it? - it's a 26 year old discontinued amp.
    MB have made over 100 new one's since then :)

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If Neil's amp is broken then mine is too because my 5E3 roars just like it.
    Also I wouldn't say that the overdrive I get from my Brown face 6G3 or the 61 Tremolux is light at all. Yes I can get light over drive at low settings but if I turn the 6G3 up to 7 it roars like a Marshall...:D.
    Personally I've never liked Twin Reverb amps that much. The best Twins were made in the 50s.
    You might call Fender distortion ordinary but it's been used to get great sounds on great records for 60+ years. Mesa's track record pales in comparison.
    Mesa makes some really good amps but they've made a few turds along the way just like Fender, Marshall and Vox have.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  10. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I volunteer my Triple Recto & would love to a/b with the fender... all genres.. we can actually a/b compare..not far from you.; Would be interesting to cruise through the genres & see what is really going on. I will even use a V for the guitar..pick your fav guitar & lets shoot em out !!

Waxhead and Henry like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well I think we all agree this is a plus for Gibson. The more interesting question is whether this is better for Mesa customers.

Rmccamey, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah I totally agree Mesa have made some turds along the way.
    After having released over 50 amps in the past 30 years a few turds is a pretty great track record though.
    No other amp maker comes close :)

Neils Youngs has a broken transister plus he uses pedals - check this out from
    https://thrasherswheat.org/ptma/equip.htm

Quote from NY on his Fender Deluxe - "Oh, yeah. I couldn't go without it. There is no spare. I've got 10 spares, but none of them sound like it. All Fender amps are different, made with different amounts of metal and windings, all these things. The transformers are all different powered. Everything used to be loose, y'know, so every combination of specs was different. I got mine for $50 at Saul Bettman's Music on Larchmont in L.A. in 1967. Took it home, plugged in this Gretsch guitar, and immediately the entire room started to vibrate.

The guitar started vibrating, and I went, "Holy ****!" I turned it halfway down before it stopped feeding back. But I do a lot of things to make the sound more distorted, like by introducing an octave divider in conjunction with an analog delay, which is before the octave divider. The routing of these things is really important---what hits first and then gets hit by something else. I have a line of six effects, and I can bypass them completely or dip in and grab one without going through the one in front of it. Or I can use all six of 'em or any combination that I want. I set them up in any order so that they affect each other in a certain way, and that's how I get my sound.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Sounds like fun. Hopefully later this year we'll be out of this Covid lock down crap and I can start doing sessions in my studio again. Right now I'm just working on my back log of original songs. I've had hundreds of amps come through my place of all brands. Lots of Mesa stuff - I've like some of it a lot. But I wouldn't normally choose a multi gain stage amp for clean sounds. Fender, Ampeg & Vox always worked better for me. I do like the Boogie dirty sounds better and they certainly do the high gain stuff well. Did a lot of metal rock sessions with the Triaxis through the dual 90 power amp. Just didn't care for the clean sounds.

BFTmarshall likes this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'd read a lot of that somewhere before - it a pretty old article but yeah what ever it takes to get a sound. Pedals or no pedals - both ways work for me.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    You don't like clean tones on the Lonestar Classic ??
    Better than anything Fender or Vox has made imo.
    I think the new Fillmore beats them too :)

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I like the clean sound I've heard on the new California amp - very Fendery to me. What I was saying is I don't really care for the clean sounds on the high gain 2 or 3 gain stage amps by Mesa. I think the more stripped down an amp is the better the clean sounds are - more open sounding. For me going through too many parts chokes the sound off and gives it that blanket over the speaker sound. I like the Mesa MKI & MKII amps - I hated the lack of clean sounds on my MKIII. The Triaxis is a kick ass amp but I don't like the clean sounds. I actually think the newer Mesa amps like the Lonestar & California do better clean sounds than any Mesa before them.
    That said I like Marshall amps for their crunch and drive but never was a fan of their clean sounds neither. Live I always took along a Fender or Vox amp to get those clean jangle sounds like on Tom Petty records. Mesa and Marshall has never done a good job with those type of sounds.

Freshy and pmac11 like this.
  17. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Cool, think i am going nutz these last few years..just dying to jam !! have kept a Super & Super Six around for when the Fender is needed. Actually did a whole season with fenders recently..fit in with the singer well. I like em all !!

Freshy and Tony65x55 like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

There are no transistors in a Tweed Deluxe?

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Have you tried Mark V, Express 5:50, Rectoverb, ?
    They all have Lonestar Classic cleans and reverb.

And Transatlantic TA-15 and TA-30 both do jangly/chimey Vox AC30 tones as great as a Vox imo :D

Freshy likes this.
  20. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The F50! The unsung hero, a sleeping titan of an amp. Great jangly cleans, super liquid dirt.

Freshy and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.