Gibson Buys Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Freshy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mesa is a more fitting buy than home entertainment or acoustic piano companies.

Gibson, under Henry Juskievicz, stopped being a musical instrument maker to being a conglomerate trying to corner a market. They went downhill once they moved out of Kalamazoo. They went from quality to gimmickry.

Tadhg, Freshy, dlew919 and 4 others like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't think we know that. Gibson is owned by a KKR-led fund. There may be Chinese investors. Not sure why that matters over British, African, Argentinian or any other investors . . . .

Freshy, Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Still well out of Gibson's wheelhouse. As evidence, I offer the plethora of new Gibson amp choices available at your friendly neighborhood music shop.

Freshy, wabash slim and Tele295 like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've had a couple of Gibson amps in days gone by. Decent gear at the time. Maybe they're just jealous of Fender's market share.

Tadhg, Freshy and pmac11 like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't think having the Chinese own any American company is ever a good idea or good for America in any way and I'll leave it at that.

doc538, GVDobler, Freshy and 5 others like this.
  6. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    To bad it is Gibson-Mesa and not Mesa-Gibson.

Freshy, MotorCentaur and RomanS like this.
  7. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Not to derail, but while Gibson amps never really competed with Fender or Ampeg back in the early days, much less Marshall later on, I have a Victoria Electro King, based on the Gibson GA-40 from the late '50s...and it's really the best amp I own. If Gibson/Mesa could go back and revisit something like that there might be hope...

http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/

Tadhg, Freshy and macdog like this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I bolded the part that's my point. They don't do it now, they haven't for quite some time, and even when they did, they weren't particularly popular.
    They weren't competitive at it.

Freshy and wabash slim like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well we don't know the details of the alleged buy do we.
    Yet to be confirmed if Gibson bought more than 50% or what the actual arrangments are.

Even if Gibson bought 50% plus I'm hoping they take a hands off policy and let MB continue on being the worlds best tube amplifier company unhindered :D

Rmccamey, Freshy and pmac11 like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Depressing is the best thing I can say.

Freshy, RG7X, Waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a 1956 GA-40 and it's a beautiful thing. I agree, it would be awesome if it were reissued, maybe bump the output from 17W to 35W. A lot of the old Gibson circuits were great, regardless of whether they competed well against Fender in the 50s and 60s. The Skylark and the Falcon come to mind. Technically they were comparable.... Leo just had a head start, better marketing, and California at his doorstep to sell to.

Scott and Freshy like this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think that if Gibson is going to buy another company, an amp company with a great name is not the worst thing. I wonder how many people buy a 750 dollar epiphone, and enhance that with a 1500 dollar fender amp. The trick will be I think to treat it like epiphone - a separate but valid manufacturer

Tadhg, T-Bawler, Freshy and 1 other person like this.
  13. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    We'll see if they screw it up. Maybe the Mesa philosophy will rub off on Gibson and they'll turn a leaf?

14. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I have a feeling that Mesa Boogie and Gibson are suited to each other.
    Mesa Boogie have always maintained strong control over the retail pricing of their product. So have Gibson.
    I guess the down side is that your average, very expensive PCB based amp from MB will now rise in price annually, suffer poor quality control and if it survives
    will do so in a limited range outside the budget of your average musician. I think they are nearly there already on the really attractive models.

Rmccamey, Freshy and Mr Swisher like this.
  15. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Ain't no Gimmicks here... 4 SG's.jpg

Freshy, Mr Swisher and Gretschtim1 like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    As long as they keep making Mesa amps in their traditional fashion, seems fine to me. Not sure why the had to acquire Mesa rather than have Mesa contract manufacture Gibson badged amps. Part of me wonders if it's a sad day for MESA although Smith seems excited by it.

Freshy likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Those are great---as long as Gibson leaves well enough alone.

Freshy and BFTmarshall like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm not sure why they wouldn't do just that. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money on a company with a great reputation and decent market share, then churn out a bunch of garbage and destroy its value.

It may simply be that they acquired Mesa because it's a profitable operation doing what it's already doing. If Gibson wanted to put out Gibson branded amps, they could farm out the work to some third party (like they have many times) without acquiring a manufacturer. That said, I'm in the faction that wouldn't mind seeing Mesa-made RIs of some Gibson classic amps. But recreating simple old circuits is hardly Mesa's strength, so I'm not sure how much sense that makes.

Freshy likes this.
  19. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    This news hit hard. I have loved everything about Mesa as a whole... Even their little store here in LA has the friendliest employees of any music store I've been to. I would've loved to seen almost any other company do this... Fender, PRS, Strymon would have been a great fit to name a few. Well, all we can do is hope for the best... but I'm not very optimistic.

20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The article I read says they'll still make Mesa branded amps but that Gibson wanted them to reprise some of their amp designs like GA-20 and 40. So to your last statement, I'm a little baffled. Heck, let's see what happens!

Tadhg, pmac11 and Freshy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.