Gibson Buys Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Freshy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Really?

Does Gibson never learn?

2. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
  3. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Let the controversy begin.....:eek::D

crossthestyx and Freshy like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggh!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    The most unappealing company is buying one of the friendliest companies in the business?
    I understand that Randall Smith has all the right to capitalize on his brilliant work and send himself to his well-earned retirement. But I never thought that he would do that by selling his company to someone who`s philosophy is so drastically different to his.
    I feel sorry for his employees.

crossthestyx, T-Bawler, RG7X and 9 others like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, I will keep anxiously my coveted Boogie MKIIA ! :D;)

In Hardwood suit :
    [​IMG]

In Tolex suit :
    [​IMG]

1980 MESA engineering (S/N° 4915)
    pre MESA-Boogie
    pre Gibson
    pre... Wait : Gibson ? o_O:eek::rolleyes:

A+!

6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Guess that Gibson will never learn that they just need to make quality GIBSON guitars at a fair price point.

Spending time and money buying an amp company isn't going to do anything good for their guitar brand issues that exist.

But what do I know.

7. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    It’s funny because I think this kind of point only exemplifies Rickenbacker’s intelligence in some ways. Though John Hall may be an odd fellow I think their commitment to just make a quality product in one plant and do only that without taking on debt has proved a sound move. They still, and I’d argue, have always put out a quality product at a fair price and seem to be financially sound unlike the other big guys.

MotorCentaur, dlew919, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
    Mesa, sorry to say is probably going to die.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  9. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
    I think the pandemic killed the Mesa market and Randy Smith could no longer sustain business and started to look for buyers.
    The [possible] bad thing is, the buyer is Gibson. Gibson, under ownership of Henry destroyed every company they purchased.
    I hope the new ownership of Gibson does not ruin Mesa but I fear they will!

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My first thought was: Who gave Gibson the money to buy Mesa?
    Considering the fact that Mesa is obviously a quite big and healthy business of world-wide status I would assume that Mesa is money-wise more potent than Gibson at this point of time.
    I understood that Gibson is still struggeling with it`s insolvency! Am I wrong?

11. afire

afire Country Gent

That was my first thought too. But at least it's closer to their wheelhouse than a lot of stuff they were gobbling up in the Henry J. era.

Freshy likes this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]

doc538, loudnlousy and Freshy like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Raising an eyebrow, but for now I’ll keep an open mind.

Robbie, michelb, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    We all know guitars and music related recording eq sales have boomed over the last year. I wonder how the boutique amp market has done during this time considering live performances have almost completely ended.

Did M-B need to sell to stay solvent....I wonder?

Freshy and Drifter like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Why wouldn't Fender look to buy Mesa? They'd be a better fit.

T-Bawler, Groutsch, RG7X and 10 others like this.
  16. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    Sad day for us Mesa fans. Mesa has(had?) a great reputation for their products and customer service, and then there's Gibson. They don't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to buying and running other companies...yes, I realize that was under the previous management, but the fact remains.

So how long before they drop an LP signature Mesa? Robo EQ sliders? Mesa Resissues? Zoot suit amps? Suing other amp makers?
    Yeah, I'm being a bit cynical, but I think that's warranted when it comes to Gibson.

17. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    What could go wrong, with Gibson's stellar reputation as an economic powerhouse & major market strength in turning moribund brands into major assets.

Tony65x55, MotorCentaur and Freshy like this.
  18. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Agreed. Folks can think or say what they want about Hall, but he's kept focussed, protective of his brand, still has production in the USA, and the company has been stable in what they do, and how they do it.

Hope that he's made tons of money too. He's got one thing on his mind. Rickenbacker guitars.

It's worked well for the brand.

19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    On the other hand, Gibson has had some interesting amp designs in the past and Reissues didn’t fair well.
    Maybe backed by some solid Mesa engineering we will see some proper modern takes on Gibson amps?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.