Gibson 335 pickups.

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by SH61, Mar 26, 2021.

1. SH61

SH61 Electromatic

Jul 23, 2017
    Providence, RI
    Have an early 80’s Ibanez AM205. I would like to replace the pickets. What would you recommend in order to approach the sound of an early to mid-1960s Gibson 335? Thank you!

2. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I'm doing a similar search. A good starting point for your search would be Tonerider alnico 2, Dimarzio 36th anniversary and SD Seth Lover.

Good luck

3. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    +1 @J Bird ’s trio of suggestions. Personally I am a Seth Lover guy, but the other two get serious mention in Les Paul forms for authenticity. I have Seth’s in two guitars.

ZackyDog and capnhiho like this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    These ones are very fine - I have a set on my Epiphone LPS II :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

5. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    SD Seth Lovers ++

I have a set in my Ibanez AS73 335 clone. Everyone who hears this guitar is blown away.

6. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Replace the pots and wiring while you’re at it. Mojotone, TV Jones, and others make flawless harnesses. I have Mojo and TVJ harnesses in three of my guitars. They’re well worth the investment.

7. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    In my 1998 Epi Sheraton I replaced (in 2010) the harness with a Mojotone 335 wiring harness and kept the stock pickups. It was a vast improvement. It was only in this past January that I replaced the stock Epi pickups with Golden Age Parsons Street Alnico 2 PAFs. Still in the honeymoon phase, but digging them so far.

Not sure of the caliber of the Ibanez wiring harness, just thought I would post what I did. It was kind of on a whim, but once done that wiring harness change was dramatic, IMHO.

capnhiho likes this.
  8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Very nice those Ibanez AM205 wonderful necks. The Simple Correct Answer :) Genuine Gibson Classic 57's for pickups. I don't memtion dog ear P90's because your Ibanez is fit for humbuckers. Keep your original whatever pickups came in the Ibanez so if you sell it trade or tire of it you can pull the 57's. You will not increase the value of the Ibanez with nice quality upgraded pickups or mods no matter what you spend. I have been there done that countless times and "Raye don't do that no more".

The best solution is to save your dough and get the real deal yes, the other G guitar. ;) or you could just cross over and get a Gretsch for that great Gretsch sound of the 60's lots to choose from. :)

Les Pedals likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Seymour Duncan`s Antiquity PAFs feel incredibly authentic.
    Non-waxed, slightly underwound. Pure greatness. Imho.

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ibanez Super 58's would be perfect in that guitar;)
    Oh wait....

swivel and AllenK like this.
  11. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

I owned one of those AM205's for quite a while. A well-built easy playing guitar. Whether it was the original Super 58's or some Seymour Duncans I swapped them for (kept the originals), it always had a lighter tone to it compared to a couple of 335's I tried. These were '90's 335's though. I put it down the the smaller body on the Ibanez. More like a 339.

Part exchanged it in the end for a J-45, getting far more than I originally paid for it. Last I heard it was gigging regularly with the new owner. They put the pickups back to the originals.

12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The Super 58's are nice!

13. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I have Seymour duncan 59's in my Heritage 555, get's me a killer sound for fifties and sixties tone.

new6659 likes this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Everyone always goes right to the expensive pickups and most do sound great.

I'm on a tight budget and always try the cheap ones first. I've bought two sets of HBs from GFS and they sound fantastic for the money but I am not a fanatic or have the ear that most of you do.
    I love paying about $70 for a set of decent quality pickups. GFS has a set with alnico 2 magnets (I've bought the A5 versions) that I want to try.

chicago slim and new6659 like this.
  15. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

That's a quality combination.

Marko60 and Mr Swisher like this.
  16. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Thankyou!

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    To me, that's what constitutes the original Filtertron visa-vi neck Gretsch Filtertron or a neck TV Jones Classic, sans wax potting.

18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    If I recall your other posts on the matter correctly, you mean the unpotted neck pickup in BOTH positions, right?

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Correct.

In the old days, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch and Rickenbacker used the same pickup in all positions. That is true of some of the reissue pickups too.

20. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I wouldn’t replace anything. I would adjust the height, pole pieces and your amp controls.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.