Giant Asian Hornet

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    He looks more than NASTY!

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    They should be wiped out,for our sake and the poor old bees,they're having a bad enough time as it is.
    I'm allergic to bee and wasp stings ,i don't think i'd fare well with these buggers,they're terrifying!

Peterods and ZackyDog like this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Agree.

A single hornet sting to my foot, almost landed me in the hospital about 25 years ago. It was just a black hornet you would find in New England, a fraction of the size of the aforementioned mutant hornet.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  4. Peterods

Peterods Electromatic

May 15, 2017
    Portugal
    Here go some tips :) from a man who fought them and lived to tell the tale.
    Well, first of all this is no common hornet, it's a beast to its relatives ( common hornet ) and bees. It is dangerous if poked otherwise it will stay within a certain radius of its nest.
    It's a fairly resistant animal, and not many products or insecticides will harm it, the best solution will indeed be death by burning. The good news is, with a big armor and big weapons, it has sacrificed speed, and some intelligence heheheh, which means they are usually slow flyers, they bump something and they stay there for a while, I used to knock a few with a rolled newspaper in mid air, and then squash them with my foot. The real danger is when a few of them are together.
    But now for my situation: Back home we had two chimneys, and they nested there for two years, they would at least 4 or 5 times a day, enter the living room. We tried smoke, other products they would come back. We had to isolate the nest, bag it and burn it. This was for the first one, the second one was directly hit with a sort of flamethrower to also catch the escapees in the air. My neighbor bought some insulating foam, a full body suit and a huge transparent bag, he then covered his nest and filled it. -just the nest with that foam, it grows and fills many holes, preventing them from escaping.
    Now for some of the passive solutions, there are some led bulbs ( I'll take a pic as soon as I get to my hometown ) that have this shape, that traps then inside. Nothing fancy or specialized, but it works. The second one is a mixture of wheat, sugar and some other ingredient I don't remember. This mix is then placed inside a plastic bottle cut in half with the top head down, it prevents them from fleeing, oh and the bottle has to be covered on the sides to prevent light from entering( also works with other insects.)
    I have been stung too, when I slapped one and missed, it grabbed my hand and stung me along with a bite ( biting to get a hold of me and then strikes with the sting) rough 15m or so after, swollen hand, with a rash. Light pain for a few hours ( like something solid hit you), slight itch the next day.
    Guess I'd avoid them at all cost, it's painful, but unless you are an elder or allergic that is about it...if it's a "one on one".
    My real enemy however is not this Asian wasp, but the deadly spice cinnamon and the violent poison that peaches have. See it like this, at least you can see and hear the wasps ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC higgy and ZackyDog like this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    @Peterods

Thanks for the information re: giant Asian hornet, though I don't follow you the peaches. Are these poisonous peaches that grow in Portugal/Europe?

Peterods likes this.
  6. Peterods

Peterods Electromatic

May 15, 2017
    Portugal
    No no don't get me wrong I was exaggerating, its just one of my two allergies, cinnamon and peach. I have a worst cutaneous reaction with peach than an hornets sting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The theme song for the podcast No Such Thing as a Fish is Wasps by Emporer Yes, it's about that bee defence.

Peterods likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Haha, we deserve it.o_O

10. Wow! Hmmmm maybe I'll have to put a caged entry on my bee hives, but i don't think we've got these Hornets in Australia yet.

11. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sabato likes this.
  13. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    ZackyDog likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Flying drones to help locate---and destroy--- Giant Asian Hornet nests:

TheMicster and Sabato like this.
  16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
  17. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That might possibly be the one natural predator to a hummingbird, a bird who has no natural predator since none can catch one. I hope the hornets are not smart enough to find out.

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Funny how they make it Stateside and they're no longer 'Giant Asian Hornets'. They're 'Murder Hornets!' :D

Sabato and ZackyDog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.