GFS Vintage Nashville 'Tapped

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by unbridled, Jan 29, 2021.

1. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Does anyone have a sound sample of GFS Nashville's coil-tapped? I know @GreatGretsch runs them in his 5120 and taps them, and likes the tone. Any clips, Ray?

I'm waiting for GFS to get restocked so I can finish my 5120 project, but am rethinking my pup choice in the mean time. The pots and switches are only a couple days away, and I'm getting antsy.

MrWookiee likes this.
  2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I was just about to post a question about GFS Retrotrons in general, and more specifically the Nashville and Liverpool flavors. Can't wait to hear others' responses.

3. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I had the GFS Nashville and Memphis pickups, in two similar guitars. To me the Memphis pickups, that are supposed to be Ric Toaster type, sounded more like my G6140 pickups. Liverpool's are hotter. I prefer more of a PAF type sound for that.

Not a Retrotron, but the Dream 180's are also worth considering. They sit somewhere between a Filtertron and P90.

The GFS pickups that I had were not wired to be split. You would have to take them apart and run leads in order to split the coils. That would give you a very weak (250k), single coil sound. If you are looking for more brightness, I recommend lowering the pickups and raising the pole screws.

upload_2021-1-30_14-30-24.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    unbridled likes this.
  4. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Hey unbridled ... I don’t have any clips but I do like using both Nashville pickups on with the neck pickup coil tapped...I like rolling the neck volume down a pinch until gives you a nice mix of the two. Monte, the Nashvilles sound really nice in my 5120.

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had a set of the Liverpools in an old 5120 I had. I didn't appreciate them very much. I thought they sounded lifeless and muddy. I swapped them out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.