Attachments

• IMG_20190525_104958_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190525_104958_hdr.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 25

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I bought these ones (1 bridge / 1 neck RWRP) for a project to come, so I can't tell now :oops: :

https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Alnico-Vintage-Wound-Soapbar-Pickup-Cream--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_21943.html

I think that they are Korean-made by ARTEC, which built quality pickups.

What's your opinion about yours, then ?

A+!
They sound great! Especially for the $30 I paid for each one. I had Blacktop filtertrons on the guitar which were a big improvement from the gretschbucker that came stock on the guitar.

Sid Nitzerglobin

Country Gent
Jun 8, 2015
fROMOHIO
I put a set of the Slick 90 Juniors in a bolt on slab Jet and they're great, full stop. Even better when the set cost less than one Duncan/Lollar/Fralin/whatever :) Love the Surf 90s in my Peerless as well, but they are definitely doing more of a DeArmond thing than a P90 (as intended I think).
LmetclV.jpg
yOcSqfW.jpg

Last edited:

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Big fan of Surf 90s, not sure how much they sound like Dynas though. I like then in their own right

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I have a jet with a T-armond in the neck and a GFS Dream 90 in the bridge and I'm loving that combo as well!

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_153329_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190427_153329_hdr.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 14

larryb

Gretschified
Oct 29, 2012
Greenville, SC
Put Surf 90's in an Epi Sheraton....HATED THEM!
Thin, harsh and nothing pleasing about them....I think I am the minority here, but the stock HBs were much better

giffenf

Country Gent
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
I've been a fan of the Surf 90s for quite some time. But they don't always work in all guitars. I put then in a Streamliner 2655T a while back and they sounded kind of thin and nasally. I haven't played that guitar in months so I may pull it out again and reassess my opinion. I have a pair in the Cheapacabra Tele I built with a Warmoth ash body and a Chandler neck, and they scream. I put a pair in a Hagstrom jazz box a while back and they were very Gretschy. So I can't say they're a guaranteed improvement, but they can be. And for what they cost, the price of failure is pretty low. I've got an Eastman ES-175 copy with some boutique P-90s that just don't do it for me, so if I still don't like the Streamliner tone, I may do a pickup transplant.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
This has been touched upon before. Cause of the inherent simplicity of the P90 design(relative to other pups) many budget conscious part manufacturers have managed to make perfectly respectable sounding P90s.

John Drummond

Gretschie
Feb 26, 2016
Stockport, England
I love the surf-90's. I have a set in my black g5120 (currently on long term loan with my lead guitarist) and have just got another set for a as yet undecided project (Probably my D'angelico Premier SS). There a little softer allround than Dyna's (not sure I had them raised enough)but they still sound fantastic.

Two great vids that show just how the surf-90's sound

Last edited: