Getting your amp up off the floor

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Shadowy_Man, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    Back when I was in the band in the 90s, I used my USA made Fender Blues Deluxe (which I still have) set on top of an old milk crate. This made for a sturdy base, and as others have said also serves to collect gear such as pedals, cords, etc...

These days I have my DeLuxe amp on top of my old Wilcox-Gay "Recordio".

IMG_3336.JPG

The DeLuxe is a Carl's Custom Amps 5E3 circuit chassis, which I installed into a "TV" style pine wood, lacquered tweed cabinet made by Pat from New Hampshire, mated to a Celestion AlNiCo Blue speaker.

The "Recordio" is a Swoose of sorts. It has a functional radio and speaker, plus a microphone, and a turntable with two arms. One turntable arm is for playing records, the second, larger, turntable arm is for recording or "cutting" records (from either the microphone or radio) and is equipped with a very thick recording needle to etch a blank disk. I even have an old blank vinyl disk in case I ever want to "record" something! (hence the name "Recordio").

2. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    I stack mine. Keeps part of them off the floor..... 20210828_173555.jpg

Rmccamey, new6659 and heinzman like this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I try to keep my speaker cabinets off the floor. On the floor, they're subject to both mechanical and acoustic coupling, both of which can be unpredictable, both of which can emphasize strange frequencies. With 1x12 and 2x12 combo amps, I use an older On Stage RS-7000 tiltback amp stand. With bigger stuff, the cabinets may go on their airline cases. My current amp cabinets have tophats for getting them up on speaker stands.

Randy99CL and Shadowy_Man like this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Shallow stages, particularly hollow ones, can resonate and produce some really strange sounds.

The other reason I raise my amp is that (particularly with shallow or no stages) the first few rows of bodies absorb most of the treble, and if you're in the audience behind those bodies, you get muffled low end only.

Randy99CL likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    All of mine is off the floor
    IMG_1157.jpg

6. Retro

Retro Electromatic

May 27, 2011
    Deephaven, MN
    I use a stand for my Princeton but it is a real PITA to pack. Thinking about installing a pair of Fender tilt back legs instead if I can make them fit.

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Home player only. Have two stands for the MP-15's, set the Katana on top of the Fender Super Twin Reverb, the rest set on the carpeted concrete floor.

8. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    I love Carl's Customs (he rebuilt a 5A3 for me)...and custom stacks!

20210902_024911.jpg

birddog and Shadowy_Man like this.
  9. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    Nice rig there! I like the retro vibe.

Rmccamey likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    amp on casters w a plexi gobo, no damnable tilt up :) :) :)

51D6EACE-9C13-4EC7-8D04-4335144F70E5_1_201_a.jpeg

11. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    90 % of the time it doesn't matter because I am connected by headphones so I can just tilt my head :D. The other 10% is in the garage where my 4x12 split marshal cab is in a heavy wood stand keeping it off the concrete. On top of the stand is my Fender 100w tube head. Only time is this is problematic is when my son boots up his 450w bass which is right beside mine.

12. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Good to see that most folks are not over thinking this topic. Keep it simple. :)

I put my amps on small, cheap plastic printer stands with wheels so I can roll them around the studio easily. They also have a small drawer for cables and such. My amps are small combos.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBV7YJ8/

Rmccamey likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I totally agree with Wabash here. He said everything I was going to say.
    As far as the SVT - that amp couples with the whole building it's in...:D.

wabash slim and oneforsorrow like this.
  14. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Agreed. Know the space you're in and respond accordingly.

15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I got tired of lifting and moving my amps from room to room in the studio so I bought 8 amp stands like in Thunder58's photo and put wheels on them. I love it. I Can slide one amp out of the way and the other one in place within 1 minute and be back recording in a flash.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Leaving the SVT on the floor is proper coupling with the room. I've worked with theater acoustics for decades. The back of our main stage was technically a horn/bandshell. We had wall sections that coupled the horn to the rest of the theater. It holds over 6,000---bigger than Radio City. Hearing a large brass band with no amplification in there was amazing.

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great idea ;)

wabash slim likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wheels are your friends.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.