Getting my Gibson to sound like a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by wyldelife, Sep 1, 2021.

1. wyldelife

wyldelife Electromatic

Jun 19, 2021
    Norway
    Chris Buck did this solo last year for one of Paul Davids backing tracks.

It rightly got a lot of attention, because it’s a beautiful and inspiring solo.

I had to learn it in order to snag some licks and tricks and figured I would film it once I got it down.

I used my P90 Gibson Les Paul Special (Original Collection 2020) into my HX Stomp. I tried my best to get the Gibson sounding like a beefy Tele as I find the Les Paul Special to be the Tele of the Gibson world.

On my HX Stomp, I used the Cali amp with a Matchless cabinet with a healthy dose of dynamic hall reverb.

Hope you enjoy!

NJDevil, blueruins, Fergyuk and 3 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sounds great , thanks

3. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

Nice playing.

Tele bridge pickups and P90s were out there fighting each other for market dominance at the beginning of the electric guitar market.

So they are in many ways very similar, while the guitar chassis cause players to perform them differently (wrap/TOM palm muting) -- who was copying who for tone?

4. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a Gibson Music City Les Paul which has P-90s and a b-bender. The P-90s can be tapped to give more of a Tele sound via push pull pots. I would think that a good tech could do this for you.

NJDevil likes this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Love the playing, and great tone! I don't hear it as "Tele like", at least not to my ears. But who cares, it sounds awesome!

Tap a P90? As in coil tap? Color me confused. P90 being a single coil, how does that happen? o_O

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I could be wrong but you can tap a coil (different from split coils) by essentially cutting out a portion of the winding so that it is lower output, by tapping (or connecting i guess) to some point in the coil.

GlenP, stiv, T Bone and 1 other person like this.
  7. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    That's how it was explained to me.

T Bone likes this.
  8. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Uh, wait a minute!

This isn't that trivial ... some single coil pickups (of whatever kind) have an additional conductor, for exactly this purpose. Those that don't have it, leave it to you to open them, get rid of whatever is in the way (wax, resin, ...), and connect a wire to the coil there.

The wire the coil is made of is really, really thin. This isn't any beginner's task, this is advanced surgery that very well may result in a pickup that doesn't work anymore ... the modification of this kind may very, very likely cause another need to repair them.

But, in general, if the pickups have this conductor, or if you're skilled and stuff - don't wanna doubt that without anything pointing there - it may also come out great.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Great sound. The Tele and a P-90 Paul are not so far apart, in many ways. I would opine that the sound you got was quite effective and appropriate for the music.

A P-90 has higher inductive reactance than a Tele pickup, although I don’t know that there is all that much of a difference between the two. If my happiness depended on making a P-90 Les Paul sound like a Tele, I’d probably swap in some 250 K pots. Coil tapping would work, but if you went for a center tap, chances are you’d have a weaker pickup than a Tele.

Frankly, based upon what I heard, I don’t think I’d change a thing.

NJDevil and blueruins like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    since this is a gretsch forum could you get your gibson to sound like a Gretsch? :)

wyldelife and gtttrrr like this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Good point, mate.

12. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Well it would sound pretty much like the neck pickup of a 6120 EC :)

13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I've made my gretsch sound like a gibson once, but I had to put it down.

[​IMG]

calebaaron666 likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    No Gretsch should be made to suffer like that. :)

NJDevil likes this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    “What I mean is, things like that happen. They may seem might cruel and unfair, but that's how life is a part of the time. But that isn't the only way life is. A part of the time, it's mighty good. And a man can't afford to waste all the good part, worrying about the bad parts. That makes it all bad” - Fred GiBson

[​IMG]

16. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Yup..... I was stoked to get a killer Edwards LP92 goldtop off eBay 7+ years ago. Listed in mint condition with upgraded CTS 500k pots and Lollars soapbars. It felt great but for the first time ever, I liked the mid and bridge positions better than the neck. I was hoping for that lush "Another Brick In The Wall" bluesy-solo sound but the too much heat and mids.

I use it for the full twang and bark the the mid and bridge selector give but rarely use that with the neck pickup only.....unless I roll off the tone for some warmer jazz stuff. It plays great and love the neck. Now? My Tele I got a few months ago deliver that "neck-only tone" I was looking for.

17. wyldelife

wyldelife Electromatic

Jun 19, 2021
    Norway
    Very good point!
    But can anything other than a Gretsch get close? Haven’t experienced that so far.

18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would say that the next closest thing would be a single-coil Tele. It’s not the same, but probably my second favorite sound.

19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That sounds great! As for sounding like a Tele - I wouldn't have thought it was a Tele just to hear it. IE, there are a lot of sounds even in a Tele that won't give away it's Tele-ness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.