Getting loud with Marc Ribot

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by scrimmer, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That was excellent. He made me realise something I always felt on a base, subconscious level, but never could put to words. Tnx!

2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That article was worth reading for this quote alone:

"It’s true most amps sound better at volumes loud enough to fray the edge of notes with the subtle distortion that is to electric guitars what makeup is to a drag queen of a certain age."

But seriously- really good article. This is the 2nd time this morning I've seen someone link to it, and I wasn't going to read it, until I saw Ricochet did LOL

...and now I'm going to have to check out Marc Ribot... I knew of him, he's in the Bill Frissell camp, right? A bit of an avant-garde noisemaker? (that is not being used derogatorily, btw)

Also BTW Marc: Campilongo seems to do just fine getting clean to mean with nothing more than a "lower-powered tube amp, cranked" (Princeton Reverb)...so there's magic there too...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    scrimmer likes this.
  3. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Marc Ribot is the master of “skronk”. He has been a huge influence on me.

Shadowy_Man and scrimmer like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Great, blame ol Ricochet…:)

The article is full of worthwhile quotes but the one that tickled me was:
    If I read Ribot right he would very much approve of the Campilongo sound!

scrimmer and ruger9 like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

scrimmer likes this.
  6. Jonno69

Jonno69 Electromatic

Feb 18, 2021
    Wales
    Love Marc...his playing and tone on Tom Waits stuff like Hoist that rag and Jockey full of bourbon is amazing

7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    He writes like he plays.

Thanks for posting.

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, amps need to be turned up. But there is no joy in having ears ringing so loudly you can't hear people around you talk. It's fuel for suicide. I know because I have Meniere's disease albeit very mild with only periodic bouts of loud ringing in one ear for a couple of days at a time. I feel like tearing my ear out when it's happening. And there is ample evidence that loud noise including music can cause it. I'll never go to a concert again without ear plugs. I might not feel the need to put them in, but I'll have them handy.

ruger9 likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'm with you, at my age (52). I always bring earplugs to concerts whether I use them or not, band practice now uses in-ears so volume is low, and today's stage volumes aren't bad at all, at least at the gigs I have done in the last few years. I think I have some level of tinnitus, but I have learned (probably years ago) to ignore it (it's a re-wiring the brain thing), but I don't want any more damage than I already have.

stevo likes this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Once I opened a show for him. I was kind of excited because it was a smaller venue and I liked some of his work. Part of the show was amazing and part of it I swear he was just seeing how much nonsense he could get away with while the faux musicians pretended he was doing something amazing.

Cool guy/great player.

11. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Fantastic article. I've been an appreciator of Mark Ribot for some time now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.