Get Back - Going to Watch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Nov 11, 2021.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't disagree, but Paul probably could have realized that the others might not be comfortable with having one member's family managing their affairs. That might be a bit much to swallow in any context.

section2, Bob Perrone and Henry like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Surely the 2 were not the only managers available. The Beatles could have hired anyone at that time. Just as the other 3 arguably should have seen what a slime Allan was, surely Paul could see how his relationship with the manager could create a conflict of interest.

@afire beat me to it!

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Oh I agree with both of you.
    The Beatles were musicians not business men and it became obvious when Brian Epstein died and they tried to Run Apple. They lost millions of dollars on that deal.
    With the help of Lee Eastman Paul became vary business minded and more wealthy than the other three Beatles. When it went up for sale Paul wanted to buy The Beatles' publishing catalog but Yoko and George wouldn't go along with it so Micheal Jackson got it instead.
    However naive Paul might have been he was only looking out for The Beatles interest both collectively and individually.
    A few years after the breakup the rest of them realized that Paul was right and ended up suing Allan Klein.

Henry likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I started a thread awhile ago about underrated bands. It started after I listened to a bunch of Hollies songs.

rake_ether, Gretschtim1 and new6659 like this.
  5. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Comparing the two movies is very revealing about the role of an editor. I haven't seen the whole 8 hours yet but it was a fascinating first episode. The arc is very much informed by contemporary reality tv shows but I'm loving it anyway. I was always a fan of John Lennon, but over the years I've really come to appreciate what an amazing musician George Harrison was. And Ring0 knows the value of keeping his mouth shut- it makes him seem very articulate when he does speak, and he seems like the most relatable figure of the four. FUn music in it too.

Sabato likes this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Not bad for three weeks’ work, eh? Whatever you might think of them you gots to admit they understood each other musically so well after a decade of grafting together.
    I enjoyed every minute of that even though there wasn’t a Gretsch guitar anywhere to be seen.

section2 and gretschbigsby like this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

I've never seen the original. Does Yoko come off significantly worse in it?

8. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Tony Hicks is The Hollies secret weapon.

Roger49 likes this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    We finished it. I did enjoy many parts. I found it to be very repetitive, unnecessarily so. I confess I did fast forward through some parts.

I was surprised how well Lennon played guitar. I was never a big Beatles fan so I did not pay mush attention to who played what on their songs.

I loved Billy Preston!

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I finished it yesterday. It was remarkable. All four were incredibly gifted and you could see it in Billy Preston's eyes. He was awestruck. Me too.

11. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yes! I just told mrs Mbkri that it made me fall in love with them again. Shes going to start it today.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's great... but all that smoking... :(

Andrew Griffin and radd like this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah it doesn't kill everyone but it surely played a part in George's throat cancer.
    So sad we lost him so soon.

NJDevil and radd like this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  15. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Just finished the series. That this all happened half a century ago, done by four guys in their 20s, and that it is still so relevant & crucial to the evolution of popular music, as well as cultural attitudes, is simply astounding to me. I loved it, partially because they were so great, but maybe more importantly because it allowed me to be a teenager again, or at least to reconnect with my teenage self, to relive what I loved about discovering music as a youth & what the Beatles brought to the world of music & 60s pop culture. What a wonderful peek inside the process of making Beatles music. Musically, they were gods, personally, they were very human. Highly recommended to anybody whose musical life was influenced by all that the Beatles were, & are to this day.

16. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    This cracked me up when I saw it. Wasn't it filmed at lunch time? She must have been up late the night before.

ZackyDog likes this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, I think it (e.g. The Rooftop Concert) was filmed at that time. Yes, she must have been up late the night before listening to Cliff Richard(?)

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Loved the docu tremendously, still hate Yoko tremendously!

NJDevil likes this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I watched a little of it and interested to see the whole thing......I need more time for everything!!

I was and and still am not a Beatles "fan". I like them and enjoyed the creative pin pong between them and The Beach Boys. What I find incredible is how they produced great music, rapidly progressed as musicians and maintained a band before breaking up all before the age of 30!

For me, the Beatles was a springboard for each member to really explore and tap their individual musical prowess. I've always loved McCartney, rocked to Ringo and became a George Harrison fan well after his death. Lennon? Sadly, I did not hear enough. I think his best material was to come in great abundance but his life was taken and hope there is a heaven because it would please me very much to think that there is an afterlife paradise where John's soul resides.

Their music still grows on me which really means that my ever-expanding tastes is now paying closer attention to some ground-breaking music.

One of my favorites songs.....

20. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Interesting to see how the individual band members are perceived.
    I really liked Rick Beato's recent youtube offering - more about The Beatles'. Although a massive fan, he so accurately identifies the elements of their musical development that made them such a phenomenon.

I really loved it when he said that by the time they got to recording Abbey Road, which was chronologically speaking their last studio album, George was out-writing John and Paul, even contributing the best two songs of the album - Something and Here Comes the Sun, and I would have difficulty arguing with that statement. You, of course may not, such is the breadth and depth of their truly unique legacy.

Not all of the nearly 200 songs they wrote in just 7 years are top-shelf masterpieces, but the list of their output is a treasure trove, simply crammed with jewels that sparkle as brightly today as they did more than half a century ago. All that with no autotune or computer assisted effects, often recorded 'live' with (for the most part) 4-track recording technology.
    Pick up just about any Beatles album and listen to it again or just look at the list of songs and smile as the memories flood back. I've tried it, and it works for me.

I'll get to watch the movie when my pension arrives in my account.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    section2 and Mark 6120 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.