George Harrison’s Greatest Guitar Moments

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Phaser7

Phaser7 Electromatic

Mar 24, 2020
    Chicago
    There's a YouTube where audio of Randy Bachman claims to explain it correctly.

However: About a year ago, I tweeted a link of that video to Brian Ray, who plays guitar and bass in McCartney's band. He said Bachman is CLOSE, but not quite right!

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It certainly depends on what criteria you use as well as the context. But at some point, you also end up giving out first place trophies to the whole class.

For context, I like acknowledge that guitar work builds on the past, so the pioneers won't look as amazing when you compare them to their predecessors and that is unfair.

For criteria - it's hart to get around blistering leads and amazing fluency and proficiency up and down the fretboard. But I love David Gilmour and for me, guitar playing that I love to listen to wins over amazing playing. It's about the whole sone for me although I like soloists too.

This being said, I went to see Joe Satriani and it was one of the most exciting shows I've seen. I didn't think that virtuoso guitar playing would keep my attention quite so well but I guess he's more than just fast. There was some artistry and drama in his playing that really kept me glued to the seat.

drmilktruck, new6659 and blueruins like this.
  3. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    George Martin on Piano is also part of the opening chord.

gazzie and drmilktruck like this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Love his solo on Belinda Carlisle's Leave a Light On too.

gazzie, drmilktruck and gretschbigsby like this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

We can all agree that nothing recorded before '68/'69 would qualify, right? Since there were no good guitar recordings before then. ;)

Gretschtim1 and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Bigsbyguy

Bigsbyguy Electromatic

Jan 25, 2009
    New Mexico
    IMO the first sentence says it all.

There's an LP from the early 70's, by Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevere, "On the Road to Freedom" There's a cat on it going by the name Harry Georgeson laying down some nice licks. Haven't listened to it in years better dig that one out!

7. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    Oh yeah, tasty indeed! Nobody played slide quite like George did, you knew it was him after the first lick.

I love George's playing and songwriting, so picking just one moment would be next to impossible for me.

Floo and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Speed and fluency are certainly abilities I admire and spent years emulating, or at least my version of it. That said I always go back, and love listening to guitar players that know when to to play and when not to play…the people that serve the song. Another example that comes to mind is Hank Marvin, he always played in service of the song.

9. macdog

macdog Gretschie

Dec 25, 2014
    Melbourne
    Spot on. George bringing the 12-string out of folkiedom and into rock is a significant part of his legacy.

Back in Black and drmilktruck like this.
  10. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    George invents fingerings for chords. His solos are lessons in taste. Hard days night, just as one example. I can’t pick one moment over another.

drmilktruck and gretschbigsby like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't think there is any guitar on that one. Great George moment as a writer though.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  12. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MD,

Absolutely!!!

BIB.

macdog likes this.
  13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

You're right, no guitar probably. But I thought about that only after posting.
    And personally I don't think it's a great song, it's just the boring moment in Sgt Pepper to my ears. So that joke was off topic, making fun of a bad song he wrote (who didn't?) whereas the thread is about his guitar moments.

14. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    I quite like the version without vocals on Anthology. Not much George on that...

15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've got to admit that when I was a kid I use to always skip over that song. As I got older I learned to appreciate all his Indian stuff. The one I really like is The Inner Light. I think it's a beautiful melody. I always wished he'd done an acoustic version of that song without the Indian stuff.

16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I'm partial to George's 1979 eponym album. I bought it when I had not so many records and thus intensively listened to it when being young and suggestible.

Harrison-1979-epo600.jpg

I dig Soft Hearted Hana for the rag mood and the dobro solo:

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    George playing on Badfinger's "Day After Day". Iconic tone, iconic playing. All of us could play it today, but he invented it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Paperback Writer, If I Needed Someone, And I Love Her, And Your Bird Can Sing

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    I agree with Jackrd , not only about George Harrison , but for the entire role that lead guitar itself plays in modern music ; too many people barter speed with expression . We need less FAST players and more EXPRESSIVE players . In that , Harrison was an indisputable MAESTRO . He was one of a kind , he had a truly personal style . " While my guitar gently SPEAKS " , i'd say ..

Jackrd and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.