George Harrison’s Greatest Guitar Moments

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Has anyone ever figured that out and got it right? I mean, really right?

gretschbigsby likes this.
  2. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Not a single moment, but his slide playing is very tasteful.

Lister, drmilktruck and dougmon like this.
  3. wingnutt

wingnutt Electromatic

May 6, 2020
    Nashville
    George was a Great artist for sure. However, I'm pretty sure Day Tripper Intro riff as well as the guitar solo was John Lennon, along with most of the lyrics.

Paul lead vocals

Enjoy your Gretsch!!

4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Not George exclusively, but John, Paul and George trading licks for the "solo sequence" on The End has always been one of my favorite Beatles guitar moments. Toss in the rare Ringo drum solo and wow - everybody gets to shine on that one!

The internet informs me it's the last song they ever recorded as a complete group. How appropriate.

drmilktruck and blueruins like this.
  5. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    Cloud 9 also has a bunch of Clapton. George's slide work is unmistakable - and almost all post Beatles.

Something and Here Comes the Sun are his best. Best solo is tough to pin down - lots of good ones.

Floo, drmilktruck and Tele295 like this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Don't think his best moments were with the Beatles, they were the second best band he was in.

7. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Here is Randy Bachman's explanation:

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's really cool.

gretschbigsby and Bob Perrone like this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    George played a really tasteful solo on Till The Was You when he was like 20 years old.
    That kind of stuff can get lost amongst all the fast gun slinger solos out there but there's beauty in the way he played.
    He came up with very tasteful guitar parts his whole life.
    It Don't Come Easy, Something, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party, This Guitar Can't Keep From Crying, Hey Bulldog, Fixing A Hole, And Your Bird Can Sing with John, Etc. Lots of good playing on the Abbey Road Album His slide playing on The Traveling Wilburys & Cloud Nine album.
    The live performances he did with Carl Perkins in 1985 and Eric Clapton in Japan in 1990-91 shows how good of a guitarist he was.

10. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    He is one of my heroes, reason is his ability to compose a solo or lick that fit or made the song - transporting that section but still keeping it tethered beautifully with the melody. McCartney noted that on "And I Love Her" the lead in on the classical guitar was entirely George's idea. They were rehearsing and he threw that in. Just 4 notes and McCartney acknowledged only George had the ability to do something like that which would give a song an identity.
    You should experience his final album "Brainwashed" which I believe was his finest work, both playing as well as song writing. His slide playing skills were second to none, incredible touch he had on the strings. Along with his beautiful sense of self and our connection to all things spiritual I think we are all blessed to have such a player to look up to and he could also be one funny SOB.

ImGoodThanks, Cazza64, Floo and 3 others like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If I Needed Someone---probably my all time favorite Beatles tune
    All his Wilburys and Beatles works

Can't forget The Time Bandits & Python films

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I love everything he did, but i think you can hear his soul in his slide playing,no one sounds like that playing slide,imo.

13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Said it already but it in my world the solo to ‘Something’ is in the top 10 of greatest ever recorded. And better even than his buddy Clapton’s epic ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ solo.

gazzie, AllenK and drmilktruck like this.
  14. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    John might have written it but I think George played it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DMT,

There wasn't a bad moment in his career!

As far as songs where his guitar playing really shines, I like ''If I needed Someone''.

This was first time when George's new Ric 360 12 WB, really shone through.

The time is still very clear in my mind, because we all ran out and ordered 12 string Ric's...I've had four, the earliest being a 1965 round edged 360 12, in Fireglo, I also had a 360 12 ''Blueboy''

Roger, then ''Jim McGuinn'' picked up on it as well and made George's ''jangle'' the signature sound of the Byrds.

I've mentioned here before, every guitar I own will go before any one of my six Rics, OK, and my four Jets, after all, one is for George.

God bless and keep you, George! Your not gone, just on Eternal Tour.

Best,

BIB.

IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0231.JPG

ImGoodThanks, ESGslim, macdog and 6 others like this.
  16. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I love his songwriting but I'm in awe of his slide guitar work. He may have appreciated Elmore James, but he never falls into the trap of trying to sound like him. In fact, his slide work is so distinctive from any other players. He really rips and snorts on the Lennon Imagine cut How do you sleep. Marwa Blues on his last album is super good too, but with a totally different approach. For me, all his slide performances are the standouts.

17. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I always liked this Randy Bachman story about that opening chord:

ishtar, drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

2 pages already and nobody mentioned Within You, Without You yet !?!?!
    :D

Electrosynthesis and drmilktruck like this.
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I think George was a very tasteful, thoughtful and melodic guitar player with a focus more on the song rather than attempting to stand out personally.
    I remember hearing a Robben Ford interview about his time playing with George where he mentioned how impressed he was with George’s confidence/skill playing guitar. Not fancy, but very solid. Words to that effect.

20. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Personally, I think Harrison was an incredible guitar player. If we judge everyone by how fast or how many notes they play, say like Eddie Van Halen, then we are missing the point. B.B. King is voted among one of the greatest guitar players for what 'he didn't play'. He would be the first to tell us that. In my opinion, Harrison wrote some of the greatest, most memorable licks in all of rock. Think of any Beatle's song, or even licks from his own albums and tell me you don't know note-for-note that solo or lick. And just about every guitar player wants/needs to know how to play them. They are infectious and incredibly good. I think of him as one of the greatest session guitarists of all time, up there with Tommy Tedesco, James Burton and some of the other greats. JHMO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.