Genesis Fall Tour...What???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Back in Black, May 4, 2021.

1. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
    There's also licensing. Phil made a bucketload just off of a chocolate commercial in the 2010s in which an ape "played" the drum fill to "In The Air Tonight".

They treated Chester pretty shabbily a few years back so I wouldn't see them even at $100 a ticket. I doubt any of them truly need the money.

2. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I don’t fault any Band for doing live performances in their older years. I don’t care for it personally but if they manage to sell tickets at such an inflated price go for it. I can’t think of any Band or Performer I would pony up $500 to see.

I saw BB when it was painfully obvious he should not have been on stage but the Venue was full. I realize he was keeping his staff and crew working but I felt bad for him.

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    $500? LOL! If they raise Jimi Hendrix from the dead and offer front row and free mandies…maaaybe(but probably not).

Robbie likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmmmm, what are mandies?

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Well I'm not gonna make fun of old guys but I agree with most of what you said. No Peter Gabriele no Genesis. Who's left to pay $500 a ticket to see these guys? I guess we'll see. I know I won't be going.

Back in Black likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ludes for you US hippies. ;)

J/K about taking them.

Tele295 and Bertotti like this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hi Gret,

I just turned 72, on Sunday, so far be it from me to make fun of old guys, but having said that, If I could no long play my chosen instrument, walk, or sit without looking like I'm ready to fall over, the old tour bus would be parked in the back yard, covered in a tarp.

It's a joke, and a rip off to fans who still have a memory of what ''used to be''.

Of all the things Phil Collins has lost, I'll just bet, he misses his mind the most.

Just me,

Best,

BIB.

Outlaw, doc538, Mr Swisher and 2 others like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Totally Agree!

9. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Phil was never that much the center of attention as Genesis's front man. He's always stood at the mic with his hands in his pockets. My first thought was that he looked like he was standing at a urinal. Mike is the fun one to watch. But, gosh, on Thanksgiving Day in 1980 they gave a great show. That was for Abacab. I saw two shows on the Three Sides Live tour too and they were both fab. The three-person Genesis didn't need Pete or Steve to put on a great show. I saw one show for the album with Home By the Sea and it had its moments but the show got goofy at the end with the 60s covers and wacky headgear. That was my last Genesis show, but I can see why they would want to change things up and be less serious.

Back in Black likes this.
  10. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Not gonna do it.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Happy Birthday! I'll catch up with ya in November.
    I may be old, but I got to see the best bands in their prime!

doc538 and Back in Black like this.
  12. Abeno Matto

Abeno Matto Gretschie

May 8, 2014
    Japan
    I saw them in 1978 twice. That was the first tour without Steve Hackett. Great mirror show. Saw them a few years later on the Duke tour. Then twenty some odd years later in 2007 at the Hollywood Bowl. They were great but it got rained out. Imagine that in LA with all its droughts. The few clips I've seen of them promoting this new tour look kind of depressing. There's enough old clips of them on youtube in the classic days to enjoy for now.

13. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    According to what I just looked up on Google, Phil Collins is worth $260 million. He does not need the money. These acts are not necessarily about the money anymore, but really just trying to recapture the glory and excitement of the past - their own and yours. Unfortunately, you are the one that has to pay for theirs. There are numerous acts that are still out there playing -- The Rolling Stones immediately come to mind. Many of them are not worth the time at any price. Personally, I am not paying to see any of them. Like many have said, stadium shows are not in the equation and most of these acts are but a mist of what they were in their prime. My brother and I often look at the age of some of these acts and say "Would you pay $xxx to see Mom up on the stage?" Seriously, some of these acts are as old or older than your parents. Now, with that said, I would pay any price to see my Mom again, since she has long passed, but please Mom, not on the stage.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    speedicut and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The age doesn't bother me if they can still play but 500$ for some guys with known issues. I can't imagine it will even be an ok show. The price is highway robbery and even if the ticket price was ok I wouldn't be the guinea pig to see if it was a good show.

15. Redstone

Redstone Electromatic

Jan 18, 2021
    Denmark
    I think I can sing Suppers Ready, hungover at 7 am on a Sunday morning. So, yea, PG Genesis > PC Genesis. But as others have mentioned - Trick of the Tail was a great pop album with Hackett still onboard. I've seen them many times in Philly. People like to make fun of them a bit now but all are real musicians. Remember that Genesis nicked Daryl Stuermer after his work with Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage- the best fusion album of all time in my book. Daryl is superb on that album. Way underrated. I would pay 500 to see that Album played in a small venue. But Genesis ? I don't think so.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    On side note I would like to see some of these older excellent musicians, with the proper temperament, take to mentoring some aspiring musicians. Maybe some do and I am not aware of it. I do avoid virtually everything internet except here a camera place and tool place all nice and polite like this place. Mostly.

wabash slim likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked BB on one of his final tours. They pushed him to the edge of the stage in a wheelchair. I mentioned to one of his entourage how I hated to see anyone in a wheelchair. The guy responded, "He ain't hurtin'---he's just lazy." BB went and did 2 solid hours, sang and played as great as ever, then, sat in his tour bus for a couple hours signing autographs and talking to fans. Class act.

In before the lock! And who you callin' a hippie?

Jazz guys have been mentoring the young for years. I worked a lot of workshops for uni jazz bands with some great players teaching. PBS just had a special on Doc Severinson doing just that while in his 90s.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Barbra Streisand cancelled her last tour after just a couple of gigs because no one was willing to pay a few hundred to hear her. People spoke with their wallets.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Robbie, Ricochet and Bertotti like this.
  18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    In the '70s, I saw Pablo Cruise, the Steve Miller Band and the Eagles for $10. All three were good. I wouldn't pay even $200 to see the Eagles again, even though I love their music. $500? Give me a break!

It's sad to see some of these bands facing health problems with the passing of the years. In a recent clip of Phil Collins, he was looking pretty limited in mobility. That's a real shame, he seems like a good guy. I don't mind seeing musicians continuing to play in public. I have a friend in his later 80s whom arranges, plays concerts and teaches, quite effectively.

Robbie likes this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    Because music is now free to the end consumer and streaming models providing essentially no income, the live experience and merch are the only ways to provide an income. If someone wants to pay 500 notes to see ancient people play ancient music not as well as they used to, that’s their look out, but it’s the only model available now.

20. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    My wife and I saw Genesis in 1976 at the Greek I recall. Bill Buford was drumming with Collins. Actually a good concert.
    But.... the only way I’d pay $500 is if I was teleported back into my younger self . Lol!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.