Genesis Fall Tour...What???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Back in Black, May 4, 2021.

1. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Heard this a couple of days ago, apparently even Canadian dates booked.

I'm hearing huge ticket cost as well, $500. range.

I hope there is enough room on the stage for the walkers, and an adult diaper dispenser.

If Collins had of been thinking with the large head, his monthly Ex-spouse payments would be smaller, and he could enjoy his remaining days on the beach.

Genesis is, without Peter Gabriele, like the Beatles would be without John and George.

In the attached photo, Phil's about ready to fall out of the chair.

Just me...I feel much better now that that's out of the way!

BIB.

Genesis.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Outlaw and doc538 like this.
  2. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Ticket prices are essentially straight up gouging at this point. The worst of it is that ticketmaster and the like priority sell to scalper/resellers who will double or more whatever the list price is....

3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I liked some of their stuff.

They're aging, just part of being human. Touring again, just part of the business for old groups.

That said, I might pay $500 for Neil Young or Todd Rundgren coming to my house for a yard party.

Might, but never for any concert ticket for any performer.

4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Like Phil, but no way....

G5422T likes this.
  5. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    When they toured 14 years ago, they had to play many songs in lower keys due to Phil's voice.

Judging by Phil's solo tour a couple of years back (from what I saw online made me pity him more than anything), I don't see just how it is expected to get anywhere near the Genesis experience (be it of the later '70s/'80s/'90s). Phil can't play drums, let alone walk, and can hardly sing. Chester Thompson won't be there; don't know if Daryl Steurmer will, either (I haven't checked). There is no way I would pay any kind of inflated price to see these guys now.

Back in Black likes this.
  6. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    SEEING ANY ACT FOR MORE THAN $100 - $200 PER TICKET , FOR ME, IS ALREADY PUSHING IT AND MOST LIKELY WOULDN'T HAPPEN.
    THESE GUYS? NOPE, NOT EVER.

7. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    If they advertised to play the whole of "Selling England by The Pound" with Hackett and PG back, then I'd stump up a sizeable chunk to see it.

Otherwise.. I'll pass thanks.

CBHScott likes this.
  8. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Genesis without Peter Gabriel . . . put out A Trick of the Tail, one of their best. The three person Genesis made my favorite Genesis album, Abacab. Tony and Mike and Phil compliment each other perfectly. Even We Can't Dance would have been a good album if it weren't all vocals and drums and treble. Yes they had some songs I don't like--Illegal Alien, Domino--but they wrote by improvising and that's what they came up with.

I expect this tour will be too much like the last one. The same songs. The same bells and whistles. The medley to appease the old crowd--I'm 57 and it doesn't appease me. Phil's a wreck but I can't imagine him sitting through a Genesis show. Maybe he'll be moving about in a cherry picker. Maybe he'll be suspended by wires, swooping around. They'll do something like that. Phil's voice isn't what it used to be, but there's a place for his more understated voice, like in A Trick of the Tail.

I'm not going to any the shows. I'm afraid they'll roll out the same old thing.

9. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    The only way I would spend my free time in Genesis concert would be if they paid me $500. Anything less, I would decline.

10. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Not interested. As a pay-per-view live stream or something, like in the $10-$20 range, maybe. And that is a big maybe.
    BTW, I remember when the Eagles did their "Freezes Over" tour many many moons ago in '94, and the prices were at that time outrageous, at least to me. $100 on up. At that time, Billy Joel and Elton John toured together and the tickets went for $45-$85, Stones I actually saw (also in 1994) for around $50 if I recall.

MrWookiee likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    $500? Seriously?
    I wouldn't pay that to see anyone, except maybe Hendrix, The Beatles, or Buddy Holly IF they came back from the Great Beyond.
    You won't need to worry about scalpers or Ticket Master---there won't be much of a demand at that price.
    Talk about an over-inflated sense of self worth.

MrWookiee, Jeff67 and Back in Black like this.
  12. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I feel the same, but was trying to be nice.
    LOL

juks and Sabato like this.
  13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I wouldn't for Genesis since I'm not that into them but I would pay $500 for the right artist at the right venue. like a smaller club, but no way for a stadium.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That's actually a good question. Would I pay $500 for any living artist? Definitely not stadium, I agree to that. I've seen almost anybody I've desired with the exception of AC/DC and Green Day of still active bands. In a club environment I could be tempted, but luckily that won't happen :).

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I don’t do big crowd type venues anymore, for anybody.

16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ok, there are some bucket list bands I'd pay a crazy amount of money to see, almost anywhere (would even fly and rent a nice hotel room). Only one I can think of right now is The Police, but there are others.

17. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    They lacked energy when I saw them on their 1994 We Can’t Dance reunion tour. It wasn’t just a clever name. Phil Collins stood in front of the mic with his hands in his pockets and stared off into space as if struggling to overcome complete boredom and recall the lyrics. I think face value of the tickets was $50. I’d check but it’s one of the few shows for which I didn’t bother to keep the ticket stub.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    This is like a pro athlete who wants to make a come back but the reality he just doesn’t know when to quit.

wabash slim and Back in Black like this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Maybe, but it could also be a case of a music biz without royalties and profits where the only way to make money for these old bands is gigging. Maybe they're getting low on money?

GoLeafsGo, Back in Black and Bertotti like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Probably a bit of both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.