Gen X alert.. I grew up w The Cure, Gretsch guitars ruled in H.S.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Mar 8, 2021.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    a kid in the 80s I loved the Cure, new order, depeche mode, the cult, straycats, chili peppers.. they all had Gretsch guitars and began my dreams of owning one.

Rick Beato is so entertaining, educating and uplifting... IF you love the Cure too, this is SO freakn Great! Just listen with goood speakers or cans because he breaks down some studio tracks!

2. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    I came to enjoy The Cure, Depeche Mode, And a few others I wouldn’t have otherwise. As a punk in the 80s/90s you couldn’t date in the scene without being exposed to them. I drew the line at the smiths.

3. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Huge Cure fan here!! I've been playing that song a many years. Looks like I've been actually playing it halfway correctly. 8^)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Before Rick’s video came out I totally overlooked that G# in the bass over the E. Huge difference.

TV the Wired Turtle and pmac11 like this.
  5. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    I began my (non-professional) songwriting career ripping off The Cure; before moving on to rip off Pixies.

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Aside from occasional radio play, I didn't really get exposed to the Cure, Depeche Mode and similar til late 90s in college due to friends.

Anywho, it is actually through Gretsch that I really listened closely to the Cure and Setzer.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    we borrow and quote from our choice of inspiration, its muse forges our creativity

Les Pedals and 65club like this.
  8. I would not know the cure, Depeche Mode, if they were on the radio. Spent the second half of the 80’s at Dead shows, and in my spare time i waited for the Stones to come around every few years. If Stevie Ray played, i would go, Hot Tuna, or just Jorma, i even caught Ted Nugent at the pier in NYC. But the acts mentioned earlier never hit my radar as i tended to stay away from new and popular. Must have been the rebel side. Unless of course the GoGo’s played the Garden, that was on my radar. In the 80’s i was being led by the Stratocaster as i think i saw Clapton 8 times.

9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I stopped buying their records after In Between Days/The Head On The Door, that was becoming too mainstream to my ears. (That's not snobbish early fan attitude: I heard about them only by 1985. Actually, as far as I remember, I first bought The Head OnThe Door then the older ones. But never had the desire to buy the later ones).

Here's my 2 cents:
    What makes 10:15 Saturday Night a greater song?

1- The sound of silence: lots of silent parts in the frequency range. Which then enable a better focus on the arrangements. Especially, the rhythm guitar is pretty low on the mix, which gives lots of air / breath to the tune.
    2- Simple is genius: these arrangements are very basic. One track per instrument (except one additional track for the guitar solo). No multiple layers to dilute brilliant arrangement ideas, which do are brilliant.
    3- Rough is beautiful: sounds and the mix are pretty basic too. Seems like it's a live band playing.

Then that's pretty childish, genuine and brilliant. All that innocence seems lost in Just Like Heaven, and that's a pity.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I was tail end of the Gen X group. Born in 78. My brother was 72 so he was a HUGE new wave 80s music superfan. He was a Depeche Mode superfan and he is now an electronic musician. Influenced by DM, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, etc. Now, when I was a kid and he lived at home before college, I HATED all that music. But after he left for college, a couple years went by and around the time I got to high school, the radio station started playing some of that stuff again, and I realized i missed it and got into it all a little late.

drmilktruck and GlenP like this.
  11. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    I worked in the London area in the early 80’s and saw and ran into loads of known musicians on the streets and in the clubs and parties. I called it Jangle Heaven because everybody had a Gretsch. At the time I had a 1964 Gibson ES-125 and a 1971 Fender Telecaster, I’ve owned 16 Gretsch’s since those days and when I sold the Gibson it was enough for a new proline.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    drmilktruck likes this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I was kind of sheltered through high school in the world of classic FM-radio album rock, but there was a lot of new wave making it’s way on the radio, like U2, that I learned to appreciate, and being a new student of the guitar I was like a sponge trying to absorb it all. There was a lot more variety of music shared among friends in college and I really enjoyed learning about the alternative music that I wasn’t really exposed to much before. The 1980s was an interesting decade musically, and a fun time to graduate from high school and go off to college with a guitar.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. rplcmint

rplcmint Electromatic

Jan 31, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Not sure...I am a drummer and thought Boris Williams was bad ass. I know Robert uses Schecter these day, but back then they were a parts supplier for the most part?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I've read/heard an interview a LONG Time ago, I think it was a local morning TV show interviewing Robert Smith to promote the Detroit show. They asked what his favorite song to play for their discography was and without missing a beat he said Just Like Heaven. He said he always closes the show out with it. If I remember correctly.

My brother, when he was in college used to do college radio in the morning. One of my favorite gags they pulled was the morning after a Cure concert they called up some rando at the university named Robert Smith, waking him up, and asking him how the show went. The guy caught on to the gag right away and transitioned into a pretty terrible british accent and proceeded with the interview.

15. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    EXACTLY my experience!!

GlenP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.