Gear snobs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, you're the second person to say that. Maybe not the best example for the point I was trying to make, which was that I was OK with skipping over the super high end stuff.

But I'm glad you're enjoying yours!

2. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    ...and if you gave him that guitar he would swear it was the best thing ever. Just sounds like plain 'ol jealousy.

3. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Whoa, those are two very serious guitars!!! You, sir, have excellent taste!

amp360 likes this.
  4. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    Some people can't keep their mouth shut if they don't have anything nice to say! You were nice enough to let him try it out. He should have been gracious about it.

lathoto likes this.
  5. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    It's possible not to be offended and still think he's a gear snob, which is merely an opinion based on observation, just like that guy's opinion of the Martin.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't know anyone who hasn't been a gear snob at some point in their life.
    No big deal as far as I'm concerned. Just read some of the trashing posts here about Gibson, Fender and lots of other none Gretsch guitars. Once again no big deal...:).
    Being a gear snob doesn't always equal being a jerk.

7. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    What's deserve got to do with it?

8. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    What do you mean, Wabash Slim . . . . I'VE got the best stuff - all my pedals are the best, all my guitars are the best, all my amps are the best and there are no others that sound as good as mine. Is that what you mean? I've noticed that too in the YouTube comments sections. And then there are the "tone" experts . . . . yada, yada, yada. Frankly, I can't hear most tone nuances but I'm getting better at it.

9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  10. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    What does an old Martin sound like? Sounds like a neck reset to me. :D

J/K. I have two Martins that are around 40-50 years old, and only one (a D35) needs a reset any time soon.

The point is, the old unobtanium that so-and-so plays is always best. Oh, and so-and-so has a tech that travels with him to keep it just so.

Not knocking old guitars - I have several.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome neighbor , glad to have you here

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I keep wondering what if said jerk was a player of Tommy Emmanuel’s stature, who has played hundreds of vintage Martins, would he suddenly become forthright, a no BS straight shooter?

13. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Hello lm slickfaster, I’m 56, I’ve been a member here at GT since 2009...
    and I have a problem...
    I’m a gear snob.
    Id like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone and everyone I may have hurt in the past with my elitists viewpoint on gear selection...
    thank you

Shock, new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  14. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The first step to recovery is to acknowledge you have a problem. ;)

Apology accepted. :p

Attached Files:

wabash slim and slickfaster like this.
  15. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    knh555 , obviously my english is not good enough , sorry : i only meant that many guitarists ( sure i'm among them ) play good guitars whilst they are no so good players . In this sense yes , i'm a " guitar snob " too , but i do not pretend to be someone able to belittle guitars much better than my playing . In this sense no , i'm not a guitar snob , i frankly admit not to understand so much in guitars ! I only like them a lot !

16. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    No worries. Having acquired a useful amount of a foreign language, I can appreciate that. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your English is better than my Italian. :D

I just don't think there should be any correlation between a player's skill and how good a guitar they can have. We see this often, but there's nothing wrong with treating oneself if one can responsibly afford it and truly enjoys playing it. There are a lot of non-racecar drivers driving around in expensive sports cars after all. Deserve and need have nothing to do with it.

17. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    My guitar snobbery confession as defined in relation to the seven deadly sins:

Greed - buying yet another guitar
    Gluttony - having too many guitars
    Pride - showing off an expensive guitar
    Envy - being jealous of someone else's guitar
    Sloth - not playing the guitars that I have
    Lust - wanting too many guitars
    Wrath - becoming angry because someone else's guitar is not good enough

If you have experienced any or all of these conditions I would propose that you pay a guitar forward. To gift a decent instrument to someone who will greatly appreciate it is worth more than all the bling in your current stable (Martin or otherwise). Life is too short for anyone to suffer poor action, with a guitar that doesn't sound all that good, having spent too much time tuning it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.