Gear snobs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it can't sound good.
    Yeah I love my more expensive guitars but the cheap ones sound good too. My 73 Epiphone acoustic sounds great on recordings. It doesn't project like my Gibson Hummingbird but I use it all the time in the studio because it sits in the mix well.
    I picked up a 1966 Fender Mustang bass back in 1982 for $100 and have used it on about 80% of my recordings since then. Great deals are out there if you keep looking.

Archtops and Shock like this.
  2. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    A Martin D 28 goes for about three thousand dollars, right?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Way too lacking in details to get judgmental or worked up about either party.

Reverse snobbery exists too. I think some of my $300 cheapies are on par with my $2000+ guitars.:)

wabash slim likes this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep. I've seen them recently at Sweetwater for $2899.00 which is in line with the price of acoustic guitars by Gibson, Taylor, etc.
    When you play one of those you expect it to inspire you and to sound good.
    I've bought new and used acoustic guitars and liked the sound of the used ones better because the sound usually gets better as they age. The highs seem to mellow a bit and the bass gets smoother and warmer to my ears. The guitars I bought new have gotten better sounding with age. They don't always play better as they age if they develop neck and bracing problems...:(. Unfortunately my 1973 Epiphone 12 string which I prefer over my 2020 Epiphone 12 needs a neck reset. The tone of that guitar is great and I like the neck better than the one on the new one but now the strings are too high because the neck is tilting into the sound hole therefore a needed neck reset.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    Sadly, no. On a whim I did buy a Gibson feeing I just had to have a TV yellow LP and then decided I did not need two P90 Les Pauls

67DAD1D2-7E75-446D-B955-8C48D75B0AEB.jpeg

6. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I was looking at one that looks just like this a couple weeks ago. I didn't pick it up because I am waiting for a Gem. And I have a Blues Hawk already with the varitone and P90s.

radd likes this.
  7. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Went and saw Southern Culture on the Skids a couple years ago. Met the guitar player Dave at the bar afterwards. He had a P90 on his beater Danelectro, held in with sheetrock screws. He seemed to do OK with it. LOL

mjm0 and MotorCentaur like this.
  8. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Apologies if I'm coming off as rude, not the intent...but Dave is the drummer and Rick is the guitar player(and a badass one at that!)...

Yeah, I'm a huge SCOTS fan.;)

9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    To be honest, I have to say that things now with acoustic guitars are way much better than then. Last week I played an Epiphone Masterbuilt Jumbo, a 900 dollars guitar, and I swear it played great. My Recording King 000, a 600 dollars guitar made in China, it had a tone that was up close with guitars that costed twice as much. A friend of mine bought a D18 Historic (I think is called, the one with the square headstock) last year and just sounded like a dream out of the box. I suspect that in early/mid 90s established brands like Martin or Gibson (I never played a J45 that I liked since maybe 10/15 years ago) took everything for granted, and that they didn’t need to care about the sound of their “average” (if you could calls that way a 2000 dollars guitar) models just because they were selling them in spades with no effort. In these days, when the good brands (I’m thinking about Taylor’s, Lakewoods, Matons but even some Ibanez model) appeared on the market compared with those days when you hardly had a choice on top notched acoustics, forced the more established brands to take care of their quality control even on their best selling models if they didn’t want to lose a slice of that market.
    That’s my 2 cents.

Archtops likes this.
  10. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Oh, wait, I thought I was Dave.... Who am I again?

Scott likes this.
  11. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Tiger Mt.
    As with most, if not everything in life, It's ALL subjective. Everyone has their likes & dislikes. Who cares what some poser or ego maniac / snob idiot thinks or even says? It only has to PLEASE YOU. If you like it and how it plays, that's a WIN. Acoustics, especially Martins just get better with age but you need to PLAY them. Sitting in their case somewhere doesn't do it. No matter what guitar it is PLAY IT!!!o_O:oops::eek:

Scott likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Especially if it's "just an opinion".

wabash slim, Merc and Randy99CL like this.
  13. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    TC,

Shame on him.

I could ''glance'' at that guitar all day, the finish goes on forever.

Just beautiful!

BIB.

Telechamp likes this.
  14. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks, BIB !!

Back in Black likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When I first started playing guitar, I found folk music easy enough for a beginner. I liked the tight, easy to sing vocals fun as well. Folk masses were one way for me to enjoy church. I was eventually turned off by gear snobs---disdained because my guitar had steel strings. Freakin' purists!

16. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Dave’s not here, man.

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    Love it. Reminds me of my road bicycle racing days 40 yrs ago, bike racers are such gear snobs. I realized I could be on the worlds best road bike and the great Eddy Merckx would still be able beat me up my steepest climb riding a Schwinn Varsity :eek:

It’s the fingers, or in my story the legs and lungs. :D

18. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh

I seriously don't think people who would say such a thing, have the slightest ide what they are on about. They probably heard someone else say it and thought it sounded smart... but it really doesn't... and what actually constitutes a good or bad Martin anyway... and what were his qualifications anyway, that allowed him to make that judgement? What a moron. Never mind him....

19. Dana

Dana Electromatic

Feb 2, 2016
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    I have a well broken in Martin D15 which has a deep, round sound. Installed a K&K Pure Western pickup on it. I like it better than the Bright sound of the more expensive D28.
    Matter of taste I guess.

20. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Gear snob, simply a snob or someone that does not care about how his words affect others. Clearly, he hurt your feelings. A guitar is a very personal thing and all of the posts are dead on. Here is how I learned how not to hurt other people's feelings, destroy friendships and stay out of the woodshed. Ask yourself these questions before you open your mouth. "Does it need to be said? "Does it need to be said by you?" "Does it need to be said now?" "Does it need to be said at all?" If this jerk had went through this mental exercise, which takes about 5 seconds, he would have played your guitar, probably said it sounds really nice and congratulated you on it and handed it back. Don't let him ruin your day or lessen your feelings towards your guitar. Take into consideration the messenger and you will let it go. Enjoy your guitar. Like one poster said, Martin does not let anything leave the factory that is not as good as it can be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.