Gear snobs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    He's overcompensating...probably knows he isn't worthy of a nice Martin, so he disparages yours. Or he's just a jerk.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Glen , whats your opinion on the Tonerite

Marv666 likes this.
  3. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MH,

''String Envy"...not always, but a lot of people that make comments like this, don't have lunch money, let alone guitar money.

I don't like your Ferrari because it sounds too new...ya right!!

BIB.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Archtops likes this.
  4. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Randy,

All that matters is what you think.

BIB.

Randy99CL likes this.
  5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My 2017 Gibson ES-335 Studio is a fantastic specimen that I bought at the infamous CME blowout of 2017. I lucked out and got a really good one delivered.. Sounds and plays like a dream. Tech agrees.

Anyway, I was showing it to a major gear snob acquaintance that we occasionally jam with (pre-Covid). He took one look at it when I opened the case, waved it off, and didn't even want to pick it up nor play it - because in his words, it was "just a Studio"... :rolleyes:

And, as you may have guessed, this guy embarrasses himself on guitar at jams... Can't play worth a s _ _ _.....

I shook my head in disgust, rolled my eyes, and closed the case lid, picked it up and just walked out with no comment at all. Left him sitting there..

Funny - I haven't spoken to him much at all since then...

This is the lowly ES-335 Studio that apparently is not even worth a second glance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    It would just be an opinion, I don't really have any personal experience with it to endorse it, but think that it would be a pretty effective device. I don't know the time frame in hours required to get a good play-in, but I think the product is based on "sound" principles. :)

I would be interested in more technical data about it and the changes in measured actual acoustic properties of the instrument compared with hours of the sub-sonic exposure. I don't doubt it, but am just curious to learn more about those details. I wonder if there is any difference in a device that uses inaudible subsonic frequencies versus one that uses actual string vibration frequencies and higher frequency harmonics, i.e. why do they use subsonic rather than ultrasonic? Does it use a specific frequency or does it chirp through a range of frequencies? I guess they have their trade secrets and might not share those kind of details publicly.

One thing that tends to happen over time with standard acoustic guitar tops, as you well know, especially 12-strings is they will bow out, and the "play-in" process through natural or artificial means will promote that, so you may have to do some bridge and neck adjustments as a result, which is expected anyway. The internal JLD bridge doctor truss system would really help with that, again especially for 12-strings, but that device has its own skeptics as well as to the tone hit you get by restricting the movement of the top. I am amazed at how well my Breedlove 12-string stays in tune with the JLD bridge doctor.

I just used to keep my acoustic guitar in the case behind one of my stereo speakers on the floor, just to help get a little more vibration into the wood. They are all old enough now that I don't really worry about play-in so much. I am just happy when I get a chance to play.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Isn't it great when people make it clear that they are unpleasant and you don't want anything to do with them? Much better than those you think are cool and then get to know.

mjm0 and Archtops like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I wouldn't say he was a snob. He just didn't hear what he wanted to hear. I have to agree that an older acoustic guitar if treated well does often sound sweeter and warmer than a new acoustic guitar. That's the same reason violinists the world over prefer old well aged violins such as a Stradivarius over anything new. Sound boards on well built pianos are the same way. Wood instruments that have been aged naturally by time passing generally sound better if they started out as a good instrument in the first place. On the other hand a piece of crap is still gonna sound like garbage 40 years later. I think my Gibson Hummingbird sounds better today than it did 30 years ago. I don't think the guy was trying to insult you or put down your acoustic. He did say he was interested in buying one like yours but was obviously not impressed with what he heard.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    ooglybong likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Just a Studio!

https://images.app.goo.gl/aq1EQkAcnYExtvW5A

A sweet one too.

Telechamp likes this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My problem isn't that the Martin didn't sound as good as he expected (it's only his opinion), but he had to be a jerk and say it out loud.
    It exudes an air of superiority. Screw him.

fsdphcorrigan, new6659 and Telechamp like this.
  11. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    So a guy looks down his nose at your Martin and you say, “what’s his problem?” And you look down on a Cort, but that’s the other guy’s problem too? You’re a real piece of work.

12. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a D-41. Honestly, it didn’t sound that good for a few years. When it opened up it was like a whole new level of guitar

G5422T likes this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I guess ... if you get lucky. I think they're running about $2900 for a new one, more for a good used one. Go figure. The Martin "mystique".

Tell ya what I'd really like: a Guild D55. Finding one of those in my range (that's not totally beat) ... that'll take some real luck!

14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I was lucky back when I bought my '70 D35S.

I spend the day playing D-28's to D45's, and the S just felt and sounded right. It came home.

Fast forward 50 years, and it sounds better than ever. Heavenly, but I guess that would be snobbish saying that! Lol

I wish that I aged as well as it has

new6659 likes this.
  15. hawiian2

hawiian2 Gretschie

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    Its funny, Cort makes many guitars for other manufactures including Gretsch.
    In fact my 2 PRS are made by them. PRS is (As far as I know) the only ones who put it right on the guitar in plain site. They are both top quality instruments. Maybe back in the past you might look at Cort as lower quality but not today.
    I also own a Mitchell acoustic. (Not sure who makes them) Its not a high end model but it honestly sounds great. Maybe not Martin great but it sounds way better than its price tag.
    I agree with those saying its not all about the guitar, the player has a lot to do with it.
    I hope everyone loves the ones they own. If you are happy with them That is the only thing that counts.

mjm0, Archtops and T-Bawler like this.
  16. hawiian2

hawiian2 Gretschie

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    So you still have this one?
    Had a 73 strat myself, Wish I still had that one ...

G5422T likes this.
  17. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Acoustic guitars open up & get better with age. That said, a brand new Martin is going to be a lot better than a 25 year old Washburn, Aria, or Yamaha. A friend who has owned a number of Martins & other fine acoustics over the years told me once, "Don't buy a new guitar. We'll never live long enough to hear it sounding its best."

fsdphcorrigan and G5422T like this.
  18. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    Was it not possible for the OP to relate his little story about snobbery without throwing some shade at cheap imports?

19. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Those d41 and d45 are some gorgeous looking guitars. Do they sound as good as they look?

G5422T likes this.
  20. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    And you're overreacting. Get a grip.

fsdphcorrigan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.