Gear snobs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Gear snobs are the worst... The worst. I've encountered both types: the old, out-of-touch, condescending rich guy and the young, stupid, condescending rich guy. Curiously, despite their supposed excellent gear, they never play well...

I started playing guitar on a $99 starter pack acoustic guitar without any sort of lesson. If I could play a decent "Master of Puppets" on that, then the gear snobs can take their comments about which finish on a Les Paul makes it sound "authentic" can shove it where the sun don't shine.

Telechamp, Randy99CL and Henry like this.
  2. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Sounds like your friend/acquaintance/whatever went to the George Gruhn School of Guitar Condescention.

Not everybody wants to or can shell out 50 large for a 1924 L-5...

new6659 and G5422T like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's sharp !

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    It does make my lack of skill sound a whole lot better though.

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks. I really needed a good laugh today. Anything about good old Gruhn does it to me every time!

Went to his shop once, bag of money in hand. Walked around for at least 15 minutes and he never even said hi, welcome, or anything else. FWIW, the place was empty at the time. Walked out.

My epic Nashville trip, and met, or at least saw "the man." Lol

Randy99CL and new6659 like this.
  6. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Spend a little time over on The Acoustic Guitar Forum and you'll get a heavy dose of that attitude. Some of these guys act like if you don't have a $5000 Collings you're not worth talking to!

Now, I'm not ever gonna spend that kind of coin on a single guitar (although I will spend $2500, which isn't spare change either), so I guess I'll never own a J-200, a Hummingbird, or even a D-28.

And you know what? I'm ok with that. There's a point where guitars get so expensive you're afraid to play them. I don't ever want to be there.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    But we can't forget the condescending poor guys, of any age, who think anything they can't afford is a waste of money and used as a crutch to compensate for a lack of soul and skill.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol, I just look better. If you focus on the guitar and ignore me.

9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Sounds about right... Met those too. Not as annoying as the rich condescending ones, but terrible nonetheless.

Henry and AllenK like this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My luthier swears by this method for many years. So do I. I got a Tonerite device that does the job for my guitars. To my personal perception it works beautifully especially on acoustic instruments.

But back to our topic.

Someone who poses as a snob usually does so because he usually has no other single area in which to have a say.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Henry, GlenP and new6659 like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you are patient you can find a D28 for that price. It will be used so maybe not a total piece of crap.:rolleyes:

12. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Got my hd28 for $2150 (with pickup) not to long ago and it was already broken in making it worth playing.

Henry likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, gotta "love" the haters in life. Living proof that "tools" aren't really tools, just jealous fools.

14. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Well I play acoustic and I probably wouldn't say that lol. You probably just met that person who won't like anything that's not a vintage guitar for 50k just cause it "doesn't sound right". I would just ignore that to be honest. Unless of course, he doesn't know how to play an acoustic guitar. Give the best d28 in the world to a beginner and it won't sound "like a good d28 should" cause they don't know what they're doing. Or maybe he's used to hearing the recording of a 28 and doesn't realise that sitting behind the guitar is different than in front of it.

Regarding some of the other comments, yeah acoustic guitars break in with time. You can buy new guitars that sounds almost "vintage" because they have been treated. Lots of ways to do it, baking the wood, blasting music at it etc. So essentially it's a process of drying out and aging the wood. Also guitars made out of really old wood, will have that sound. Thom Bresh, the son of Merle Travis, has an amazing guitar and the top is made out of 1000 year old spruce. Custom made by his friend who took Travis's old 1938 Martin and made a brand new guitar that sounded exactly like the vintage original. As you can imagine tho, that all costs lots of money to speed up the process of "opening up".

With all that said tho, people need to get off this "vintage" hype train. The difference is very small but the price difference is ridiculous and apart from collector value, probably not worth it. And if you look at Tommy Emmanuel, in my opinion he has the best acoustic sound and he plays "new" guitars cause they wear out with how much he plays them that most vintage guitars wouldn't last long.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    rebuhrman, Scott and MrWookiee like this.
  15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    If I remember correctly, @TSims1 has one and likes it.

John A likes this.
  16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I think I've talked about this here before. I've had trouble with snobs all my life because I've always had more brains than money. I've never had enough money that I was willing to spend the extra to pay for the big name, big ticket item that everyone respects.
    I'd rather do the research to find the item that performs as well as the big name for less money.

For instance, I love sports cars but never owned a Porsche or BMW. I've gone the "Econobox" route and had just as much (or more) fun as the guys driving the high priced spread.
    I currently drive a Honda Accord, LOL, but mine is the 2-door sports coupe with 250HP V6, not the soccer mom version. Not impressive but fast enough for me, corners hard, way fun to drive while super reliable and inexpensive to own and operate.

Since the late '80s I've built my own computers. By learning enough to build them I was able to save a ton of money compared to buying one off the shelf, and what I built was better suited to exactly what I needed. But no brand name.

I never expected to buy an actual Gibson because I didn't want to pay that much, but that 2019 I bought was regularly $1200 and GC marked it down to $939 to close them out. They gave me the 10% Veteran discount off that so I paid $836.10. I think that was a great price for that guitar and I couldn't love it more.

As someone else mentioned, I have to be careful not to be a reverse snob!! I'm not impressed by something somebody bought, I am impressed by those who built it or earned it by learning to play well.

MrWookiee and jakjar123 like this.
  17. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    Yeah, some guy out there with a Cort or a Samick thinks YOU are the snob with the Martin.

MrWookiee likes this.
  18. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    That's their problem.

Henry likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They may think that but being a snob is not having more expensive stuff, it is the condescension.

ooglybong, L Robbins and pmac11 like this.
  20. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Yup. In 68 or 69 I almost bought a used state police car. Ford sedan with police interceptor package. The only caveat was that had to be repainted from the Michigan SP blue. My plan was to paint on beige and have at it. I bought a Triumph Spitfire instead. It wasn't as fast but I could scare the bejeebers out of myself with it. :D

T-Bawler and Randy99CL like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.