Gear snobs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    A guy played my Martin D-28, yesterday. Said he was interested in buying one so I said I'd bring mine. He played it for about 5 minutes and handed it back to me....said it sounded too "new". Well, yeah....It's only a year and a half old...of course it's going to sound "new". Anyway, he said it didn't sound like a good D-28 should.

I don't run into this nearly as much with electric guitar players as I do with acoustic players, for some reason. I'm sure there are some electric gear snobs out there, too, but acoustic players seem to be worse about it. You guys have any experiences like that? I know everyone has their own tastes, but geez, you'd have thought I handed him a plywood Cort or Samick to play.

Dave Murray, mjm0, Cazza64 and 7 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Big Martin fan here ... let him buy a Cort , he deserves one :D

3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    A Cort would be gracious. Lol

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They've always got the best stuff, better than yours. We all know the type.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The best music was played and recorded on sub-par gear by todays standards.
    Personally I have no illusion of sounding any better with pro gear, but least I know who not to blame.:p

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I notice this is a "guy", not a friend or family member. Good.

7. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Just tell him it sounded exactly as he played it.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Fancy gear can't overcome a lack of skill.

9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Gear snobs are just that way. I thought it was more a Martin thing too, but shoot, every type/make of guitar has its "pros."

Anymore, if the subject comes up, I just say that I have a few guitars and just play them.

I just play dumb ( which is easy for me) and let them blather on.

L Robbins, pmac11 and AllenK like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    On that day, at that minute, at that place, with his ears, with his fingers playing it he says it doesn't sound as good as it should? It's on him, Martin has never let a guitar leave the factory that "didn't sound as good as it should."
    He's an ass for saying something like that. Arrogant jerk.
    Tell him it sounds perfect when you play it!!

Last year I bought a Gibson Les Paul 2019 Studio Tribute for a great price. It was a one-year-only that has uncovered pickups and dot inlays. Still a real LP, made in Nashville in the same factory by the same people, mahogany body/maple top, 490R and 490T pickups, etc.

Went on the Gibson forum to learn more about it and there was a thread bashing that model as "not a real Les Paul" because it doesn't have the chrome pickup covers and trapezoid inlays. Apparently, to the snobs there those two small things disqualify it from joining their little club.
    I love the guitar and it actually fits my personality better than the fancier models. I've always been a function over style kind of guy and I love the less-flashy, stripped down satin look.

I really don't care, honestly. I am happy that I got a nice guitar that sounds and plays just as good as theirs for a crazy low price, IOW they grossly overpaid for their pickup covers and inlays.

It is like no matter how nice your Porsche is some snob comes by in a Ferrari and puts it down.

LP studio tribute 3 Iced Tea 1A.jpg
    xu7wlkk00ekoqigsyeqz.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  11. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Reminds me of that old joke =
    How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer = 10. One to actually change the bulb, and nine to remark how much better the old one was.

12. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    The later Tributes are incredible value for money. I've got a 2018 and love it.
    (Not as much as my G5220 though)!

13. knh555

knh555 Gretschie

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    That's a nice looking guitar. And if it plays and sounds as you say, what more could you want?

Duo Slinger and Randy99CL like this.
  14. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That's why I like this forum so much better. You could easily have people being snobs here too, but no. The guys having high end Gretsch's are just as accepting of people who have the low end models.

And I agree with you regarding studio. I saw some youtuber saying that it's the same guitar except the higher models have aesthetic differences. If you don't care about those, then it's waste of money paying for them. I only have one Gibson guitar, the Les Paul Special Tribute DC. With that cheap thing, I haven't even tried to enter the snobbery of Gibson forums. I have couple of Epi LPs and I like the studio by far the most.

15. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    The guy was actually a decent player, I'll give him that. Just don't know what sound he was expecting from a 2019 D-28....it's not going to sound like a vintage one, ya know?

16. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    Ain't that the truth!

17. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Sure, there's vintage snobs, tube-amp snobs and boutique pedal (KOT) snobs waiting in line for 3 years, etc, pretty much anything you want snob. As Marlon Brando's The Wild One once said, "Whatta ya got?" The hype tends to perpetuate itself. And, then there's re-sale value...ugh!

The latest trend in making new guitars sound old is the thermal treated tops or torrefied wood and roasted necks, etc. This heat treatment changes the structure of the wood grains to simulate an older aged wood with similar acoustic properties. Also, like breaking in a speaker on an amp, you can help an acoustic guitar break in by storing it near a speaker and playing music through it when you are not playing it, the sound from the speaker will help the wood open up a bit over time, slightly faster than only being played, or is that just an old picker's tale?

18. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Lol, I never heard of that one. I presume you have to play the music loud enough to make the guitar body vibrate? And how loud is that?

19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    This thread reminds me of a car I bought in 1970.
    Guys my age remember that was the time of the classic Super Cars, the SSes and GTOs and Hemis and Road Runners and all those.

The insurance companies loved that era as they would charge a kid with a hot car a fortune. Stick SS initials or stripes on a car and the insurance bill was staggering.

In '70 I bought a used '68 Camaro from a guy who had special ordered the car with individual options to make an SS without the SS badges and stripes. IOW, heavy-duty suspension, 327 (instead of 350), muncie 4-speed, 4:10 posi, deluxe interior, etc.
    It was like my LP I posted above, it was a fast car, fun to drive, only down a few HP from the SS but I saved a bundle on insurance, like 50%, the difference was huge. But naturally some were not impressed because it didn't have the stripes.
    But I loved driving a sleeper that was way faster than it looked. And the cops didn't give it a second look either.

Viking Power, mjm0, ooglybong and 5 others like this.
  20. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Not sure, I imagine if it was in the case a little louder, just enough to get the top vibrating. Then there’s this device:
    https://www.tonerite.com/

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.