GC USED JR labled as g5420t

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Fasteddie42, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the 5420s are the same or greater value.

2. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Not hearing a lot of good things about GC. I'm guessing it's not all stores. But you'd expect a guitar store to know the proper model names. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah, their track record isn't great. I've seen G5120T labelled as 5420s before. The Gretschbuckers are a dead giveaway, but to the untrained eye...

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Heck, I can’t even keep all the different numbers and letters straight when it comes to Gretsch nomenclature.

G5422T, rake_ether and 5120mantis like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    GCs are hit and miss at best. At the Indy GC, I found one salesman worth his keep. The others could hardly be bothered to help you. Thankfully, we have three brick and mortar local shops here in town, all happy to help. Buy local!

Jeff67 likes this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was talking about that very thing at my local GC the other day. Once upon a time, it was easy - Gretsch made a limited number of models with standard features. There were only a handful of pickups. The model names and numbers had a certain logic. There were a few one offs that didn’t fit the pattern but most didn’t last long. Given enough time and money it was possible to own one of every model.

Now it’s impossible to keep it all straight and I don’t think even Joe Carducci Or Fred Gretsch could explain all the different variations. I gave up long ago. My eyes glaze over when people try to explain it here. I’d hate to be a future collector of FMIC Gretsches, it’d be hard to know what you’ve got and what you needed and what you were trying to buy.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Jeff67 and new6659 like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    OMG, that is all so true. Then you add in all the special runs.....

Ed Ball needs to write a Gretsch dictionary for us with yearly updates sent out...

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Future editions of the Ball’s Manual of Gretsch Guitars would be thousands of pages long!

Duo Slinger and radd like this.
  9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Eh... Still easier to understand than the 3.14 million variations of the Stratocaster that Fender keeps in their catalog.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Isn't the model number on a sticker in the f hole? I mean, you don't even have to be literate really to see the model number!

capnhiho, dak55 and drmilktruck like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Fender has that affliction also.

@Henry is correct, at least with Gretsch you can find a model # somewhere on it. With a Strat or Tele you better check serial numbers.

drmilktruck and Duo Slinger like this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Same can be said for Gibsons. How many versions of the Les Paul might there be?

Duo Slinger and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.