Gauging the "Jet-Set"

Jet owners - what gauge strings are you playing?

• 12s+ - I'm the Hulk and I want to fight for every note!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 11s - As a Gretsch should be strung

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • 10s - it's the same as a Les Paul, right?

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • 9s - Let's get Stratty!

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 8s - my fingers 'aint what they used to be.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
So my Power Jet always had 11's on it, I could play hard, it stayed nicely in tune and it had just the right amount of resistance. It was spot on.

My Duo Jet arrived from the CS with 10s...and wow is it different. It feels so slinky, I'm over bending everywhere and it just doesn't feel a good fit for a Jet. I guess I'm really surprised it has 10s and wondered who's enjoying what gauge, and why, on their Gretsch JETS.

10s have to be popular or they wouldn't put them on, right? I will be back on 11s by the weekend.

Last edited:

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
There was a string gauge versus tension thread a few days ago. I posted that I play 10’s with a wound G on all my guitars, Annie, SG, two Strats and a Telecaster. They just feel right and I’ve learned to play in tune on all of them. I don’t suppose I’d use different strings on a Jet.

Last edited:

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
There was a string gauge versus tension thread a few days ago. I posted that I play 10’s with a wound G on all my guitars, Annie, SH, two Strats and a Telecaster. They just feel right and I’ve learned to play in tune on all of them. I don’t suppose I’d use different strings on a Jet.
Ahhh I must've missed that thread.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
So my Power Jet always had 11's on it, I could play hard, it stayed nicely in tune and it had just the right amount of resistance. It was spot on.

My Duo Jet arrived from the CS with 10s...and wow is it different. It feels so slinky, I'm over bending everywhere and it just doesn't feel a good fit for a Jet. I guess I'm really surprised it has 10s and wondered who's enjoying what gauge, and why, on their Gretsch JETS.

10s have to be popular or they would put them on, right? I will be back on 11s by the weekend.
Mr. S,

I've always preferred Ernie Ball ''Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom'', 10-52. These are fitted on all four of my Jets.

I like the tone, playing comfort is good. I really like them on the short scale Rics.

For Bass, either Roto-Sound or LaBella Flats, 45-105, quality/punch/comfort. Labella's are great on the short scale Hofner Basses, Roto Sound for Standard Long Scale.

Best,

BIB.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Generally 10s on everything, but they go up to 046 on the 25.5" scale, and 052 on the 24.75" guitars. Not exactly the same feel but that way I simplify stocking up on the spare strings.

Faye

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2019
Derbyshire
10s on my Jet. All my guitars are either Gretsch or Gibson scale. I used to use 11s, but I'm 56 and my fingers don't like it anymore.

I've adapted to the softer feel, and I think I play better as a result.

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland

10s have to be popular or they wouldn't put them on, right? I will be back on 11s by the weekend.
My two hollowbody Gretsches came with 11-49s from the factory. I use 10-48s, so I voted 10s because that's what my plain strings are for bendability. But the wound strings are what usually come on an 11 set. I like the feel and sound of the 10-48s, so that's probly what I'd put on a Jet too.

20220812_012929.jpg

Last edited:

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I came down from 013-sets on some of my guitars to 009-sets on all of them.
Changing the general gauge makes so much difference in feel. At some point I found it inspiring.
Different gauges made me play different things.
I settled on 009 sets because my callouses became more and more a problem.
Sweating and playing for hours with heavy strings did a lot of damage to them regularily.
Less playing made them vanish a bit during the last years, too.
So 009s are the most comfortable string-gauge for me right now.
I have a light touch so I don`t break strings even if they are relatively skinny.
To my ears there is no big differenc tonewise compared to heavier gauges.

I play GHS Boomers for years. Their surface-finish feels best for me.

(Some brands use different materials that have a different induction/tone, rougher surface or even allergic metals like pure nickel. The latter tend to not stay in-tune. )

Control67

Electromatic
Jan 6, 2021
UK
I play D’Addario 11s with a wound third on pretty much everything from Jaguar to Jazzmaster, sometimes using flatwounds (either Pyramid or Thomastik). The only exception is my Charvel with a Kahler which wears a set of 9s which feel like wet spaghetti to my bass playing fingers. On bass I have D’Addario Lyon tape wounds on the precision for that old school thump, Rotosound rounds on my thunderbird and Blast Cult Lowlife steels on my upright.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I only have my Penguin hit it seems like a fancy jet to me. I voted 12s. I use TI 12 Jazz Swings on mine and it isn’t crazy hard to play at all. The TI seem like very supple strings to me.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Years ago, I went from 9's on my Strats to 10's, and I have just stayed with 10's on all my electrics. It just "feels right" somehow. My PRS guitars have come with 9's and I did decide to leave them that way for now, so maybe there will be a change coming to my other solid bodies . . . . or maybe not. Time will tell. :)

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Years ago, I went from 9's on my Strats to 10's, and I have just stayed with 10's on all my electrics. It just "feels right" somehow. My PRS guitars have come with 9's and I did decide to leave them that way for now, so maybe there will be a change coming to my other solid bodies . . . . or maybe not. Time will tell. :)

I find the PRS compromise radius of 25” to be absolutely perfect and love 10s on those guitars.