GAS versus music

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Feb 20, 2021.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's a sweet one.

Hope you can pull the trigger soon

thunder58 likes this.
  2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

mbkri, I hear you loud and clear. I'm currently happy with my gear, even though I could still pair down the numbers a little more, and yet I can still find myself drawn to to something new with a color, or specific pickups that catch my attention. That, of course, leads to reading up on specs and reviews, and watching videos. It definitely can become a waste of time when what I really want is to become a better player. It's funny (or not so funny) how I can subvert my own desire to play better. :oops:

JC higgy, Mr Swisher and mbkri like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post

G5422T likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I think to varying degrees GAS is part and parcel of being a guitarist. I very sincerely admire Collectors. I want to be one but am not wired that way. Whenever I find myself looking at guitar sites I have to remind myself...I could be playing a guitar I love rather than looking at them. So absolutely, I can relate.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    mbkri likes this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It’s a bit the same for me too... when I look at a guitar, or an amp or even a pedal, it’s because it could take me to other places, at list in my mind. Which sound I could achieve for a new song, how I could give a new direction to an album that requires promotion, how I could imagine a new live setup or which clubs I know on my circuit I could start keeping in touch in order to tour my music with this new guitar, new amp or new fx. Owning a guitar just for the sake of it it’s never been a goal for me. I’m a player, not a collector. For me, everything from strings gauge to studio work leads to the stage. Without it, music for me is like literature: I like it, but I wouldn’t die for it. I would die for being able to continue to tour. That’s the reason why, when I couldn’t do it, GAS kills me.:)

mbkri likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I totally relate. While I don't regret all the gear I've been through- because I finally realized that's called experiencing things, and that's OK-, I always in the back of my mind, see myself as I get older (and especially if I am no longer gigging), with 1 electric, 1 amp, and 1 acoustic, and maybe a few pedals. That's it. Just happily MAKING MUSIC instead of experiencing gear.

But experiencing gear is a valid "hobby"... just like experiencing food, wine, travel, anything.

Robbie and mbkri like this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My GAS is typically geared toward pedals, so yes, definitely affects my playing time as I add one, switch everything around all the time, etc.. spend waaay too much time tone-chasing. Everytime I lock into one, come back to it, NEVER the same :mad:..... I find I get more actual playing time on my “family room” setup, Egnater Rebel— guitar to amp, zero pedals. That said,,,,, the new Jackson Fuzz/ Octave looks like a great pedal! :eek::eek::D:D:cool:

mbkri likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I LOVE that tele. What's the color name on that?

9. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    It's a 68. Refinished as far as I can tell. It has humbucker routs that look like they were done with an axe. I don't know what the colour really is but the refinish is old, done before the hack routs.

The seller I got this from bought the guitar as is in 1990. It sounds terrific.

ruger9 likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It looks like very aged/yellowed Olympic White, but it's so yellow, I wonder if it's that, or actually a paint color developed to LOOK like old Olympic White. Either way, it's a stunner!

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I think it's some kind of yellow. It is actually darker under the pickguard and it's yellow in the neck pocket.
    [​IMG]

12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    oh yeah- that's like a mustard yellow, that has faded outside the pickguard. I like the faded part MUCH better, not a fan of mustard yellow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.