GAS versus music

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Feb 20, 2021.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    0F7A9706-6009-47CC-B586-C8EE66B50938.jpeg
    All that tele talk going on recently has had me gassing for another tele. And once you start looking at teles before you know it theres other things cropping up, and then you find a Bargain that might never come up again even though its not a guitar that you had realised that you wanted. And then you start thinking “well if im going to spend that much, i might as well spend just a little bit more and buy that Panther that @peterjh85 had up for sale.... and so on and so on.
    Classic GAS. Its pernicious.
    And really, i have all my bases covered with the 9 in my collection, heck, i’d be able to make a good range of noises with any two of them.
    What I REALLY want is to play, to write, to record, to improve technique, to make music.
    The GAS is real and it actually robs me of playing time. Anyone else relate?

2. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Yeah, I can relate. I went through a period of just buying stuff (pedals, etc.) and not playing. I got over it, but I needed to start taking lessons to get some external force to keep me focused. On the other hand, I'm a slightly better player than I was a few months back.

oneforsorrow, Duo Slinger and mbkri like this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Another one here.
    I just went through a very productive time while locking out (I basically wrote 3 albums, one for me and two for bands I’m producing) but this inactivity is driving me insane. I’m dying to start the next step of production (meetings, rehearsals, ideas exchange) to move towards recording stuff, but none of this is possible. So I’m limited to thinking about finding new sounds that needs new pedals and this pushes me to more GAS, knowing that most of this stuff would be useless if this pandemic would slow down and we could start playing together again. It’s driving me nuts. :)

MrWookiee, oneforsorrow and mbkri like this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I don't play near as much as i use too,but i'm still buying guitars,i think i enjoy the hunt more ,although lately when i find something i want i get sort of reluctant to open my wallet, then end up missing out.:(

Then the cycle starts all over again...:rolleyes:

I know what ya mean though,in the middle of last year i'd been hunting Jazzmasters and Jags,then it started to slide toward SG's ,then a Gretsch pops up that had been on my list and i'm searching those again....

I should be selling,not buying,but i'm not ready yet.:oops:

mbkri and Mr Swisher like this.
  5. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I was hunting for a 335..bought a Les Paul (then did get a 335).

Last few weeks i spent hunting another Tele....got a Jazzmaster.

I will say this though.. I love looking at guitars, researching, deciding, then trying to make it happen.

Yes I'd be a better player if I spent that time playing. But I enjoy the hunts immensely. So I shall continue chasing whatever GAS comes my way.

JC higgy, Intoamartian and mbkri like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Guess that I'm fortunate, in a way.

I really don't have an instrument or amp GAS. I'm set with what I have, and haven't even looked in a while.

Never say never though. Lol

Playing more, so I'm looking at some pedals as the budget allows. Fair to say I've got some fx gas.

pmac11 and mbkri like this.
  7. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    I'm on the other end, the closet is full. so in order to buy a guitar I would have to sell a guitar. Problem is I really like the guitars I own.

8. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    I can sorta relate, though for me it's more a case of the hunt being the only thing I got right now, haha.

Too much work/responsibility and not enough free time. If I hunt at all, it's because I get these little minutes of time while at work so it's real easy to check a website here and there.

But as the saying goes... make hay 'til the sun don't shine.

mbkri likes this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    You’ll let me know when you decide you dont need those fabulous 6120s right?
    Gosh darn it, there i go again!

JC higgy likes this.
  10. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I have GAS however, I already have some case queens and prime suspects.

Cowboy and Cowgirl.jpg

11. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    There are too many distractions and GAS is one of the worst. Yeah, there are things I want and more I'd like to learn (building my own 5F1 or finding a dream deal on something already made) but there's a blank canvas awaiting us all when we just pick up the brush in front of us.

We've been stalled out in the studio for some time now but last night we had a bit of breakthrough and it felt so good to feel jazzed about it. I've spent the day setting up our creative space -- staged mics and stands and cables and such so that we can move from inspiration to tracking near instantaneously. It occurred to me how that little bit of extra work is an impediment and by removing that obstacle, I'm hopeful we'll be more fluid and responsive to the muse.

Dance with the one that brung ya!

mbkri likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm limited against GAS by several factors - fortunately :

1 - If it is not in my financial possibilities without any inconvenience, I won't go for it, no matter.
    2 - It has to be Lefty, or Lefty-izable as if it was born Lefty (for guitars).
    3 - No buying if I can built it (for amp and stompbox, but there are sometimes exceptions here).

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

pmac11, G5422T and mbkri like this.
  13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, here is my sad story (with maybe a happy ending).

I think that GAS really kept me interested in the guitar for many years. I was a real bedroom player; I didn't play in bands and made little recordings on my home setup. When I got a new guitar, it inspired me to play it and discover the character of the guitar.

This kind of worked for quite a while but eventually I started to lose interest. I picked up the banjo and spent most of my time trying to learn how to play it, playing less and less guitar.

The last guitar I bought was in 2014. And not long after that, I spent all my time on the banjo. A few years ago, I started to learn the violin and my guitars collected dust in the closet(s).

Recently though, I got a pair of Waza Airs. Now I spend every night before I fall asleep playing the guitar. And I have so many (really, too many) just fantastic guitars so I can play a different one every night if I want (it's the Tele's turn these last few nights).

So maybe GAS has a good side.

Among my last purchases:
    [​IMG]

r0de0, ruger9, Mr Swisher and 2 others like this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh yea ...I've been gassing for this for about 2 years now and it may become a reality soon ............. and it comes with a case ;)

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 7.17.19 PM.png

15. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    But does it have a jack plate?

MrWookiee, gtttrrr, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Now I feel bad with all the recent Tele talk. I wasn’t trying to create any GAS, sorry if I fed the GAS.

GAS for me comes and goes, but yeah it takes away from playing time here. The last two years was mainly pedal GAS for me. Now that I’m happy with my board. No more wasted time watching demos for now.

As for guitar GAS. I attempt to keep it in check with a one in and one out the door policy. So I tend to give in when a current guitar is lacking something. Or I not pick on something like the neck shape.

There was a band I listened to back in the 90’s. One line as cheesy as it sounded always stuck out to me. Sometimes I remind myself of it when I feel GAS coming for something wanted but not needed. “The consumer always pays the fee with great hope and anxiety, but he’s always left wanting more”. At times it works for, other times it doesn’t... lol

mbkri likes this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I recall @thunder58 saying he won’t buy any guitar without one.

dougmon and thunder58 like this.
  18. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    you bet it does ......lol

dougmon likes this.
  19. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Actually that's a Bigsby because I have Bigsbitus ( can't play a guitar without one ....:p )

Merc likes this.
  20. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Ta-Da

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.25.28 PM.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.