GAS - am i ok?

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Ha! I remember last time you were down to your final guitar purchase—then bought 2 more in a couple of weeks. 👀

Without a specific item in mind, you are getting ready. You just want someone to pin it on when it happens. A getaway driver. 😆

Try the chili. It’ll give you gas for a week!

Hahaha you might just be right.

I tempted fate last night trawled around reverb and all my local online outlets..but not a squeak of GAS. In fact I didn't really even enjoy looking.

I keep thinking nothing can beat what I have. Things could change of course, but right now. Not a blip.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Hahaha you might just be right.

I tempted fate last night trawled around reverb and all my local online outlets..but not a squeak of GAS. In fact I didn't really even enjoy looking.

I keep thinking nothing can beat what I have. Things could change of course, but right now. Not a blip.
Ahhh…. Man, that’s not lack of GAS. I never surf the music instruments websites looking for something that could outplay the stuff I have. I’m very well aware that it would be really difficult, as I don’t think that at this point in my life a ‘67 pristine Country Gent would make me a better player than my ‘67 beaten Rally… that’s not lack of GAS, is “having your stomach full from having eaten in a 5 star restaurant the night before”…
GAS is when you have a Pro Line Orange 6120 with Ray Butts sitting in a case that you rarely use and you keep on scrolling like a man possessed looking for an Orange 5120 made in Korea ‘cause you think you should have one to check how it sounds.
That’s GAS. ;)

Lou Coppolino

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
I have G.A.S. buy no disposable cash.

Guitar torture is so dramatic.

Now, after a possible 2 for1 trade that may happen at the fall Philly Show, I may be having a NUGD.

:>)

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I have no GAS, zero...none, nothing. No GAS for anything. Not guitars, amps, pedals, strings...nothing.

It's very very odd. Anyone care to help me regain my former affliction? I'm losing my mind not wanting anything.
You may have a serious medical problem. That’s the only explanation that comes to mind.

All kidding aside, that’s a very positive sign.

BuddyHollywood

Synchromatic
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
This is why. I’m at the same stage. While there may technically be better gear I think I have focused on and have purchased musical instruments that sound like I want to hear and play like I want them to play.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Ok...well...despite the fact I have no desire for anything I have GAS returning. GAS for wanting to want something.
I'm now looking at random stuff I don't really want... In the hope i start to want it.

Sparkly 61 CS Jazzmaster anyone?

7523567d-2cff-4ea8-87df-a192d64f222c.jpeg 51009182-2b88-48b4-a1b1-108989dc6a91_1.jpeg

guitarfarm

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2008
Neither here nor there...
Just when I thought that I would never buy another guitar, I saw one that I wanted. I would buy it in a second, but I don't think it is made any longer. I bought some nut files not long ago and the company included one of their business cards in the package.

I think it is a Jazzmaster. I love the green and I love the Bigsby. I looked all over Fender's website and didn't see anything like it.

jaguar.jpg

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Just when I thought that I would never buy another guitar, I saw one that I wanted. I would buy it in a second, but I don't think it is made any longer. I bought some nut files not long ago and the company included one of their business cards in the package.

I think it is a Jazzmaster. I love the green and I love the Bigsby. I looked all over Fender's website and didn't see anything like it.

View attachment 188473
Is that maybe a Baum wingman?

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
I’m gas’ing for a bass guitar, possibly short-scale. My buddy has a Gretsch bass that I tried out and wow, I could lay down some lines without even trying. 🤨

TallTxn

Electromatic
Nov 15, 2009
San Antonio
I’m gas’ing for a bass guitar, possibly short-scale. My buddy has a Gretsch bass that I tried out and wow, I could lay down some lines without even trying. 🤨
careful with that one, brother...you could open up new levels of gas-ing. short-scales are a gateway. First it's the bass, then you'll want a bass amp, then after you get the amp you'll start thinking about long-scales, active vs passive pickups, Bass VI, etc...ask me how I know...

...that said, I definitely recommend starting with the Junior Jet bass 😈

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
careful with that one, brother...you could open up new levels of gas-ing. short-scales are a gateway. First it's the bass, then you'll want a bass amp, then after you get the amp you'll start thinking about long-scales, active vs passive pickups, Bass VI, etc...ask me how I know...

...that said, I definitely recommend starting with the Junior Jet bass 😈

Fortunately, I have some type of crazy willpower when I’m actually at the candy store. It’s twofold.

One, I don’t like playing in front of people and am not cranking an amp in a quiet music store with (nice) employees on the phone.

Two, Guitars hanging on the wall have nasty feeling strings. 🤮 Many of them need setups, so it’s not exactly a good first impression of a guitar I may want.

I tried a Sandberg short scale base, which they were going to give me a really good deal on. Then I tried an ESP LTD guitar and got sidetracked from there.

And I left without buying anything.
Three times now, I’ve been there and got cold feet. Probably the smartest move I’ve made versus buying gear with the iPhone.

(Did I ever talk about this, I swear I’ve posted these photos before. If someone finds my memory,… What was I saying?)

Attachments

• 5E3AAD6B-1828-46A0-8113-0D7D8F16659D.jpeg
    5E3AAD6B-1828-46A0-8113-0D7D8F16659D.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E7101458-5F34-4D60-9A2A-F9236510CEB3.jpeg
    E7101458-5F34-4D60-9A2A-F9236510CEB3.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 6

TallTxn

Electromatic
Nov 15, 2009
San Antonio
One, I don’t like playing in front of people and am not cranking an amp in a quiet music store with (nice) employees on the phone.
Well, I can relate to you there - especially not being a bass player either.

I had the [mis]fortune of hearing someone play the 'big brother' to my first bass. He was getting great tones out of that thing and the bassist raved about what a good value it was.

So, I had to look online and I saw this one on e[vil] bay looking sad with one of the tuning machine heads broken. I placed some low bid or offer on it torn between hoping it wouldn't be accepted and hoping it would...

Here's my Ibanez TMB30 (great little bass by the way) next to the 6120 for size reference (and to keep this somewhat Gretsch-related ;))

20220902_101630.jpg