Gamechanger Audio Bigsby PEDAL!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by nasonm, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Call me crazy but I could see some mandolin or banjo players use this.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Ok, you’re crazy, but you might be onto something. :)

Teledriver likes this.
  3. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    ruger9 likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t look at this as a replacement but as an alternative option. More for the occasional Bigsby needs for those who don’t want to permanently mount one on their favorite non-equipped guitars. It should be easy enough to use as any Wah. Except for maybe that narrow looking Bigsby handle to tread on.

Looking at Game Changers past pedals, it’s likely no slouch and will be high quality. But in reality… even if the cost is fair considering what went into it, it likely won’t be a hot seller at that price. Despite how great and close it may sound, most will likely elect to use the real thing somehow if needed.

G5422T likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nothing a DE handle can't fix! :)

We usually discuss/debate the "analog vs digital" or "tubes vs SS."

Now we can add "old time mechanical vs high end digital."

Merc likes this.
  7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If you put a vintage DE handle on it, the sound will be better. :)

TSims1, ruger9 and G5422T like this.
  8. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm ... hm ... may be I'm conservative, but this just doesn't feel right. It feels like the mechanical manipulation of string tension is real, and this is, somehow, not that real. I know, the audience likely won't hear any difference, and likely, only the fellow guitar players will care, but ... it just isn't the real thing ... and, if it were - for what, then, have I learned how to make a decent nut and get it all to work well? Haha, seems a bit wasted then, the time and effort...

... if I'd meet one in a shop, I'd try it out of course. But ... I prefer mechanic stuff, even my brain is still one of those consisting of gears and levers, and I'm fi ... I'm fi ... I'm fi ... I'm fine ... sorry, had a fly trapped in a bearing, won't happen a ... happen a ... happen a ... happen again.

ruger9 likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That's pretty much how I feel too.... I love pedals of all kinds, but this one... I just don't see the need. If you want a Bigsby, get a Bigsby. I'm sure it's well-executed by Gamechanger, but to me the vibrato bar is a part of the instrument itself, it's connected physically and more a part of human expression, or something.

I'm not a wah wah pedal guy either. But at least that provides an effect you can NOT get from the guitar itself. (yes, Danny Gatton and some others get some was-like sounds of of the guitar, but it's not anything like what a wah wah pedal can do)

10. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I had the idea of bulding a completely mechanical tremolo when a friend asked if I have any use for an old clockwork he had found in his basement ... sadly, it wasn't in a condition that would allow this, but I still think, there is something to a rattling device you gotta wind up before use that operates a volume pot, haha... Adjustable levers would allow to dial in the amplitude, and some adjustable break would allow to change the speed of operation. Or, even a shiftable gearbox.

But then, I think, how many hours would I have to put in to that, to get one of them working, even if I'd buy the clockwork? Who would like to have that? Shenenigans like a gearshift lever on a pedal might attract people, some people, but, in the end, who'd buy it? Would it be any better than just knobs and switches?

... it's not off the table yet, but ... a mechanical tremolo (true tremolo, no misnamed vibrato) ... has something to it ... but, compared to this electrical vibrato, of course, it's the other way round, without a valid reason, more or less just because I can, I consider doing it...

... interested, anyone...? :D

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree completely. Just last night, I had a nightmare that I had to take over the pilot’s duties in a Beech Bonanza with a fully glass cockpit. The problem, the source of the nightmare, was that I couldn’t even find the altimeter among all the clutter. I prefer steampunk equipment, because it’s easily comprehensible.

I spend every workday neck deep in digital devices of incredible complexity. Next Gen’ firewalls are so logically complex that there are built in tools to help you to not duplicate effort (“shadowed” security policies, for example), because the complexity makes it easy to lose track of the logic, already in place.

Contrast that with the problem of setting intonation on a guitar. Any steampunk can comprehend the logic of intonation and become competent at setting intonation, almost immediately. I prefer the mechanical.

ruger9 likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    yeah, but if it was all glass (like Wonder Woman's invisible plane LOL), you could SEE your altitude ;)

Invisible_Plane.jpg

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I love how practicality gets involved with purchasing a bigsby that you step on.. what is wrong w you pedal nerds? Who doesnt wanna foot wang???

Merc, capnhiho and THISISDINOSAUR like this.
  14. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Stepping on it requires standing next to it.

+, it is, kind of, not real, it isn't changing the actual frequency of the source, like a Bigsby does, but processes it into having a different one (or several different ones, overtones, ...).

+ in case the cat is wandering around between my feet ... but, what I would love to have: An overdrive with a gain pedal that is used like a volume pedal, stays where it's left, and does not change the volume, just the degree of overdrive - more handy than fiddling with the hands, when these are already busy fiddling elsewhere...

15. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Orders are live and there's a pretty great demo!

Merc likes this.
  16. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    While I’d prefer a Bigsby by hand for control, that’s sort of an example I imagined with a Tele. Imagine if you had a vintage Tele or other hard tail guitar and a song requiring a Bigsby. I’d prefer this pedal over modifying it so I believe there is a usage for this pedal. But if it were a modern Tele I’d likely mount the real thing.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It does seem well done. Now we'll have a generation of Bigsby-cheaters... people who've never learned how to actually use a Bigsby attached to a guitar. What's next? Player-guitars? (like player pianos). No skill required LOL.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Ok its ordered!! I had to sell a guitar! :) steel guitar double stops are in order

montereyjack66, nasonm and Merc like this.
  19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    that demo video just kind of blew my mind...

20. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    So you getting one?

My objection is the same but I have to admit that sounded pretty good. Fun demo, plus bonus for the Focus quote(I think Jan Akkerman hates Bigsbys lol)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.