Gamechanger Audio Bigsby PEDAL!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by nasonm, Jun 14, 2021.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    HAHAHA!

I still really want their "Plus" (sustain) pedal, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a pedal. Yet. But what this company is doing is very unique, very cool.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Mixed feelings here. It could be brilliant, and if so, I’m all for it. I think I’d want to spend some time with one, before I bought it in order to verify that it was properly implemented, and actually worked as well as the real thing.

I love Bigsbys, and feel that they are the best all-around vibrato out there. If it were practical to move that function to the floor, I could see some huge advantages, especially for Tele players. I probably am risking being executed for blasphemy, but I prefer the sound of a Tele for Surf guitar, but in order to get the full effect of a Tele bridge/tailpiece, with the string-through design, a vibrato becomes impossible. So I could see this as being a real hit, if it lives up to its advanced billing.

TSims1, Merc and oneforsorrow like this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I just saw this pop up on the Facebook Gretsch group. Interesting....

4. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
  5. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I used to use a Boss PS-5 as a kind of faux Bigsby. It worked okay but messed with the tone a bit. I wonder how transparent this will be?

6. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Anybody remember the Digitech Whammy pedal that was supposed to replace all the Floyd Rose vibratos? Too digital sounding for most, and didn’t really have the same feel or sound. I hope this technology is better.

stiv likes this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

LOL, that was my first thought, too.

dlew919 likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Probably not as good as expected but Jack White built a career out of it... ;)

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, it is a matter of taste for me : I'll stick with the old mechanical Bigsby look, tone and hand-facility...

But it's me, OK ? :D

10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Most octave or pitch shift effects sound digital or unnatural to me. Maybe that's why it's usually used with a fair amount of fuzz.

11. afire

afire Country Gent

There's a direction switch. But I had the same thought. I think my Bigsby use is usually a little of both. More up than down, but both. But to be fair, I haven't watched any videos. Maybe it's not really an issue.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a good point. I use a Chet arm and usually put a bit of shimmer on.

13. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Me too!

GlenP likes this.
  14. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Don't fret, no one has. There was a prototype shown at NAMM but I don't think anyone has posted any videos with it being used yet.

WAIT, there is one

15. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Technology has fastly improved. Bit rate tracking/latency etc. They’re at Whammy 5 now.
    The Digitech Ricochet even has an old school 12-bit mode for fans of the original Whammy(as used by Rage Against The Machine) sounds, cause you know, there is just no pleasing all guitar players. ;)

Tele295 likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have to admit, it sounds pretty decent. I doubt that I’d buy one, just because I don’t think that I’d enjoy keeping my foot on a pedal, just in case I wanted to use the Bigsby.

ruger9 likes this.
  18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I agree on both counts.

This is also the same reason why I don't do wah pedals- but I DO have an "autowah"/envelope filter. With the BIGSBY Pedal, while it sounds good in that demo, I feel it would be more expressive (and more convenient, and cheaper) to simply use the one on my guitar.

I still want that PLUS pedal tho...

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    This could be something.
    I actually own only trem-equipped guitars excpet my Flying. During the years I experimented with various alternatives. I landed on the Les Trem twice. But this one does not feel right for me.
    I even bought the Digitech Whammy twice and got rid of it twice.
    Maybe this piece of gear could possibly work. At least it looks nice. But the price is too high to buy without trying.

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like my gear to be set it and forget it. Two hands, one voice, plus postural reflex keeps me plenty busy, I really don’t like to switch stompboxes on or off during a song, unless I have no other choice. Between songs, I’m willing to change settings, but I usually concentrate on the song while I’m playing. It’s a cool pedal, but not a good choice for me.

The company has some interesting pedals and that Light pedal, the reverb, is very intriguing. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a reverb that intense.

ruger9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.