G6609 vs 335

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by samdjr74, Jul 20, 2021.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    Hello all,

New member here but not new to Gretsch. I recently sold off two very skinny necked semi hollows as my sausage like fingers don't fit on their fretboards (Ric 330 and 70's Guild Starfire).

I still want a semi hollow in my arsenal and was first looking at a 335 as it has the nut width I like. But I also prefer ebony boards so either I need to find a limited edition or go after a 355 or 347. Then I saw the 6609 which basically covers everything I'm after. However I know nothing about the Full'Tron pickups. My question is, does the 6609 give the 335 a run for the money tone wise?

Thank you,
    Sam

2. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Sam - As a fellow connoisseur of big fat necks 1-11/16" at nut can be playable for me but the thickness at the first fret can also determine comfort as well. .90" is a good starting point but you may prefer something thinner (front to back). When you add an Ebony board which is also my preference your choices drop like a rock.

I guess my response answered nothing so let's see what someone with more first hand knowledge has to say.

Oh by the way-Eastman makes a very nice 335 style that has a 1-3/4" at the nut but is thinner front to back and it has an Ebony board and nitro finish if you like that.

samdjr74 likes this.
  3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    Hello Mark,

I own a couple Gretsch's already and find their neck to be very nice in my hand. From what I see online with the specs on the neck, they should be the same between a 6609 and my 6134.

So neck shape and size should be set. My question is, where do the Full'trons sit regarding tone and output? I play a lot of dirty blues, if that helps.

Thank you,
    Sam

Mark W likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Oh yes, they do! The Eastman is an absolute beauty in every way. I'll be posting it soon in a NGD - when I can stand putting it down.

Mark W, samdjr74 and Robbie like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Samdjr, see if you can find a Gretsch Panther. They're a little more elusive than some, but well worth the effort. @Robbie plays some fabulous blues on one of them. Mine is used more for the pop crap I gig but the versatility of the instrument is considerable.

samdjr74 and Robbie like this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Samdjr - Tony’s suggestion of a Panther is on the money. Very well worth the search. I’ve played a 355 for years and the Panther is the only other guitar I’ve played that seriously rivals it for stage time.

BTW, thanks for the kind comment brother Tony @Tony65x55

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Tony65x55 and samdjr74 like this.
  7. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    Thanks, I saw the panther come up on a few searches, why does that stand above the 6609, 6620 and 6636? Also, it does look like the Panther has a rosewood board, can anyone confirm?

8. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey

Wondering why they mounted the jack on the front, (face?), like that? Is the wooden bridge mount fixed?

samdjr74 likes this.
  9. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    It definitely gives it a 335 vibe with the jack mounted there.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  10. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Not to hijack this, (well sort of), you're near me & do dirty blues, ya need a harp player???

samdjr74 likes this.
  11. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    Hi-jack away, I wish but no time to play out these days, I spend my time jamming alone and the occasional sit in with a friends band.

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  12. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey

ok, thanks, I'm ready to go if a spot opens up.

samdjr74 likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Yes, the Panther has a rosewood fretboard. The most significant difference I can point to is the Bigsby and the hardware, which is chrome, not gold. The Bigsby is a B6 and is not a "tension bar" Bigsby like the other three you mention.

As well, if you are sensitive to neck dive, the Falcon might be a culprit as it has the huge Falcon headstock. It also has gold sparkle binding, a feature that makes it difficult to see the side fret markers on a dark stage.

That said, the Falcons are pretty sweet. It appears the three guitars you mentioned share far more similarities than differences with the Panther and may be easier to find. People tend to hang on to their Panthers.

Robbie and samdjr74 like this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The bridge is pinned and can easily be removed but located back to the original position easily. I have no idea why Gretsch put the jack where they did.

samdjr74 likes this.
  15. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    Good to know. Again, I'm not against a Panther, just looking for something that checks as many boxes as possible. And yes, the Falcon headstock is rather large, I have a white Penguin so I'm use to it, I like the flashiness, but out of the 3 I mentioned, the Falcon is at the bottom, just because of the bling (and price).

Regarding the Bigsby, I'm fine with or without the tension roller, I have guitars with both and manage fine either way. So that's not really an issue for me.

I guess I have a few things to think about and I need to listen to a lot more sound samples of all 4 now, just so I get a good idea.

Henry and Tony65x55 like this.
  16. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Sam - Sorry I can't help with the Fulltrons.

samdjr74 likes this.
  17. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yes, the bridge is pinned/fixed

Jerzey Bob and samdjr74 like this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    What Tony said

When I bought the Panther I also played a DC Centre Block Falcon in the same store. To my ears, the Panther was a far warmer sounding guitar. Both had the same PUPs but the Panther simply spoke to me, best 335 I’ve ever played. I don’t have an issue with the jack on the top. I was/am not a fan of that big round plastic cover on the back of the Falcon.

samdjr74 likes this.
  19. samdjr74

samdjr74 Electromatic

Jul 20, 2021
    Pequannock NJ
    As much as I enjoy the look of the Falcon, it's really not on the top of my list. Too blingly, too expensive, etc.

20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I love my Gretschs, but when I want a 335 type guitar without a skinny neck and a 1 3/4” nut and Ebony board I buy Eastman, T386, T486 or T486b. I have had one of each and currently have the T386. Truly stunning guitars.

848012CF-4E35-475D-A97C-6511F24ADBDA.jpeg 19A31A91-1EFA-4F64-BD8D-764698DA19EF.jpeg C3D85B42-B854-4961-A8AD-D4B447A29B33.jpeg

samdjr74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.