G6131my

godzillaea

Electromatic
May 19, 2022
Australia
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of getting a g6131 malcolm young and wanted to add a neck pickup. I was wanting to add in a black pickup to still (somewhat) maintain the aesthetic.

Any ideas of what could work? What mounts will fit for this route?

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of getting a g6131 malcolm young and wanted to add a neck pickup. I was wanting to add in a black pickup to still (somewhat) maintain the aesthetic.

Any ideas of what could work? What mounts will fit for this route?

Hey G,

I first have to ask, WHY?

You realize you are ruining a limited production Signature model, and permanently/negatively affecting future value.

To answer your question, PU selection is very personal. Malcolm did have a black Gibson PAF in the middle route as the guitar travelled to its final state.

Keep in mind, as well as adding a PU, you will also have to replace the harness. Suggest using a fully assembled TV Jones Tone Pot harness, which has allowance for a second PU, as well as a positioning switch being included with the harness.

There is a PU mount ''step down'' in the top route, which will allow you to attach the PU directly to the recessed steps, or if you are going to use a surround, you can ''English Mount'' the PU. The top PU mount steps are part of the neck support block, don't alter them. Most '' neck PUs'' will fit under the strings. There's approx. 5/8'' between the underside of the strings/top of the body, at the top PU route.

My suggestion would be to forget this mod altogether and buy a Double Jet with two PU's. Suggest the G6131T-62, and mod away to your heart's content. All of the ''Malcolm'' parts with the exception of the Burns Tremolo are there, and if You need a Burns Tremolo, I have two available.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

BIB

DSCF1506.JPG DSCF1507.JPG DSCF1508.JPG

Last edited:

godzillaea

Electromatic
May 19, 2022
Australia
Hey BIB, Thanks for your reply.

Isn't it in the spirit of this guitar to mod it?Honestly, anything I would do would be reversible and not permantly alter the guitar. Hence the question about the mounts. Not looking to route or even add new holes. The point of the guitar will be to play, and I do have gigs where a neck pickup is needed. Figured finding a black filtertron would work simply enough but thought best to throw to the experts here.
I have an opportunity to purchase at a reasonable price and a t-62 would be much more expensive and need more modding.
In the end I'm just wanting a great guitar to play. I'm not a collector...

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
I've thought about buying one of those guitars because I like the colour and I could drop the pickups I wanted into it, but I could never figure out what to do with the middle hole, cover it, fill it, sustainer? And is that vibrato anything I would want to work with, is the arm available?

I wonder if you can order a black Filtertron from TV Jones? GuitarFetish has one. Belltone has one, it might be humbucker sized. Maybe you could get the cover and screws from GF and a Filtertron from TV Jones. TV Jones has a black P90 mount Filtertron cover.

What would it take to paint a cover and screw heads?

Last edited:

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
The colour should be the last consideration since it's the easiest to tick. What sound is first. SC, full HB, FT, P90, or something else?

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I've thought about buying one of those guitars because I like the colour and I could drop the pickups I wanted into it, but I could never figure out what to do with the middle hole, cover it, fill it, sustainer? And is that vibrato anything I would want to work with, is the arm available?

I wonder if you can order a black Filtertron from TV Jones? GuitarFetish has one. Belltone has one, it might be humbucker sized. Maybe you could get the cover and screws from GF and a Filtertron from TV Jones. TV Jones has a black P90 mount Filtertron cover.

What would it take to paint a cover and screw heads?
Hh,

The Burns Trem on the G6131-MY is fully functional. The trem is strung backwards, which locks it it place.

Arms are available. I had several which have since been sold. Other arms can be retro-fit easily.

You could always save $2500. and by a G5222, and mod to suit your needs. All the wiring and switching is already in place, and you don't have to be concerned with covering the center PU route hole.

First photo, G5222, second photo, my G5222.

Best,

BIB.

G5222 in aged natural finish.jpg DSCF1505.JPG Third Burns.jpg

godzillaea

Electromatic
May 19, 2022
Australia
Ideally it'd be something like a matte black firebird like this fralin 1653117855462.png
Under stage lights it would still give a similar aesthetic whilst allowing some versatility certain gigs. Would still need to modify the guitar for it but that's similar to what I'm looking for I think.

A bright clear neck is definitely preferable to a humbucker (paf style). Always used p90s or jazzmaster neck pickups. Firebird could do the trick. Wonder how it would go with a ft in the middle position...

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Basically I think that you can do whatever you want with your guitar. You paid for it, so you decide.

But why did you spent so much money on a high-end signature guitar like that only to treat it like a modding project?
The idea of putting a matte-black Firebird pickup into it sounds aestetically totally off to me. Why not getting an EMG 81 (irony)?

In this special case I would say: Please don`t do it.

godzillaea

Electromatic
May 19, 2022
Australia
Like I said previously, got it for a great price. Why would I not make it suit me? It's not a big mod project, just throwing in a neck pickup where there is already a cavity. Not like it is actually modding the guitar in an irreversible way. Ive seen people modding guitars far more expensive and far more invasively then I'm looking at...

There really aren't many guitars that fit the bill when looking for a guitar like this. It's a great guitar that feelsand sounds great. The fact it was a MY signature is just a secondary bonus to that fact.