G6128T-53 Duo Jet

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by 6124Bassman, Jul 5, 2020.

1. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hi guys, I’m looking into getting a nice Duo Jet, and so far the G6128T-53 vintage select looks like all I want with the T-Armond pickups to get more of a Tele twang. I love the look of the black single cut jets with the light mahogany color on the back and sides. The only thing is I think I would prefer the thumbnail inlays but the blocks do look very nice as well.

I was inspired to look into Jets by the new Nick 13 Jet, as I love tiger army and his solo work, but I think I would be disappointed in the playability and sound from an electromatic model, and would be much happier with a proline.

Anyone have experience with these Vintage Select ‘53 Duo Jet guitars? How are the neck shapes on theses?

pics because we all love pics!
    82EC1A1A-F7D7-4A11-ABA4-95DF17DFA915.jpeg

E3AACCD0-9030-4220-9AEB-F0D62CE5D491.jpeg

Chmason85, Jeff67, db62 and 6 others like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I have not but am a fan to include the block inlays. From sound comparisons I’ve heard I prefer the TA’s. If you weren’t aware of it, these bodies are a little thicker (depth wise) than regular Jets. Although I know the limited red sparkle Jet in 15 was the same thickness. Best of luck if you go for it.

Snorre and 6124Bassman like this.
  3. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I did read on the Gretsch website that these had a thicker 2” body. Wouldn’t bother me. Something about it actually makes me attracted to this model even more.

Snorre and Merc like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love mine. It checked all the boxes for me, T-Armonds, chunky-ish (for a Gretsch) U- neck. Aged binding and block inlay, scripty Gretsch logo. The right thin top construction and plain knobs sealed it for me. I only wish it had a 4-ply guard like a real ‘53 Scripty, and the chrome drum logo. I’d of appreciated a short G-plate, correctly made but that’s all OCD stuff, as I know I would of put a Bigsby on it anyways.

I added an aluminum base, split saddle Embie bridge, and made a 3-ply guard for it. I like the hollow body attack on this guitar, just wants to play like one. I’ve had it for nearly 2 years now, fantastic Gretsch!

I have neck thickness measurements somewhere around here. Something like the mid 0.80”s at the first and upper 0.90”s at the 9th, so the taper ramps up pretty quick. The shoulder is nice, not so much a U as a chunky C.

7FFC4522-7C9E-4DC8-A250-C167D55D36D4.jpeg 0C8552E7-3A2F-4CE0-807E-C37B7A61D771.jpeg

tolm, GOOBALL JEFF, Ati EDGE and 10 others like this.
  5. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Beautiful guitar! I prefer a chunky neck so what you said reassures me in the neck shape.

Snorre and BorderRadio like this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Love mine too, love the T-Armonds!
    20200523_112110.jpg

GOOBALL JEFF, Jeff67, Wozob and 8 others like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I zoomed in and that three ply pickguard looks great. It’s all in the details. :)

8. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agreed, the three ply pickguard looks really nice

Snorre, BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s not huge baseball bat but it’s not slim either. I found the measurements, 0.84” at the first, 0.88” at the 5th, 0.92” at the 9th. The 12th is 0.97” but that’s also the start of the transition to the heel. No V shape contour at all, 1.68 nut width, very gently rolled edges.

Thanks guys :) I used a 1/8” round over bit on the edges, a detail that many might miss. Still doesn’t look like the real 53/54s I played but better than the single ply stock guard. I have the router pattern and some material leftover *hint*....

6124Bassman, Snorre and Merc like this.
  10. macdog

macdog Electromatic

Dec 25, 2014
    Melbourne
    I have the slightly later and a bit more blingy Caddy Green model. Great great guitar. Have no doubts, you will love this.

Sabato, 6124Bassman and Snorre like this.
  11. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Love mine! As it has been stated, it's a Standard U shape neck, feels good. I'm very much a fan of chunky necks and while this isn't like my Fender AV '52 Tele, it's comfortable enough.

[​IMG]

GOOBALL JEFF, Jeff67, db62 and 3 others like this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am not sure but I think the standard 6128 will filtertrons has thumbnails and ebony board (2 of my favorite specs) but it will likely have a tone switch instead of knob.

Snorre likes this.
  13. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    I prefer thumbnails, ebony board, and the tone switch. But I am really drawn to the T-Armonds. The filtertons are great, I loved the ones I played. It seems the G6128T-59 has all the features I want except the pickups...

I think I’d rather sacrifice all those mentioned above for the T-Armonds, but it’s a lot to consider.

Snorre likes this.
  14. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria

There seems to be some variation in neck thickness with these - guitar.com did a review where they reported a thickness of 19mm / .75" at the first fret, and 23mm / .90" at the 12th, that's thinner than a Warmoth Standard Thin profile, which I find unplayable with my hands.
    While I wouldn't call yours chunky (gotta be at least .9" at the 1st and 1" at the 12th for that term to apply...), it seems to be significantly thicker than the review model.
    It's a pity I never found one to try out in a shop near me, because that one rings all my bells, love the non-cut-out Bigsby, inlays, pickguard, pickups, and especially the script logo, but that price is too high to buy sight unseen...
    Oh well, gotta stick with my Dynasonic-loaded Tele with the nice 1" all around Warmoth Fatback neck...

15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Out of curiosity, what’s the comparison in neck size with the 53 and 6228? I know they’re both U.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw that review, which is well photographed as it should be for a magazine/affiliate. I didn't trust the numbers, as they have the same measurements for both guitars, and the '59 VS Silver Jet is a "Vintage V"-neck. They also switched the fret board material, saying the '53 is ebony and the Silver Jet is rosewood. I also scratched my head at 'nut pings', bridge buzz (it's a solid bar), and 'excessively soft' Bigsby spring, for both models. Obviously not Gretsch people and don't do any set up of any kind prior to review (or just write stuff). I ignored it, because of owners posting about the guitar on Gretsch Pages.

Yeah, it's not really 'chunky' for me either, but that's why I say for a Gretsch it's chunky as it gets before getting into random vintage models or Custom Shop/MB Gretsch. Shoulder and over all fretboard width makes a big difference though. My B-16 Tele had a V profile Allparts neck, basically 0.9 inch to 1 inch. It felt thin everywhere on the neck, due to the lack of any shoulder. The U-neck Gretsch definitely feels more substantial than the 'vintage v' on my VS 6120. Plus, nothing, except maybe a Danelectro, can knock out hollowbody tones like a vintage-style constructed Dyna Jet, IMHO.

RomanS and Snorre like this.
  17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Have you thought about buying the G6128-59 and swapping the pickups? TV Jones sells a Filtertron-sized version of the T-Armond, so it would be an easy drop-in replacement.

https://tvjones.com/t-armond-bridge-no-ears-mount/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Snorre likes this.
  18. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Going by feel alone, the 6228 is a little bit slimmer than the '53 VS. Still comfortable, though.

Merc likes this.
  19. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Electromatic

May 23, 2013
    Budapest, Hungary
    This guitar is beautiful and I think the upgrades bring this guitar to another level. I wish I still have my 53 reissue Jet... :(

20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Love the 135 photo bomb! 20200627_142202.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Snorre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.