G6120T-59 Vintage Select vs a Setzer SSLVO

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GerryGretsch, Oct 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GerryGretsch

GerryGretsch Newbie

Oct 10, 2020
    Michigan
    Hello all, it’s my first time posting here although I visit the site often on my quest for a nice 6120.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better buy, a 6120-59 Chet Atkins vintage Select or a Brian Setzer 6120SSLVO?

I’ve narrowed my search down to these two.

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    the slightly rounded board, locking tuners & modern fretwire is why i chose my BS {sslvo} over the CA. the newer setzer's with the ray butts & 2.5" body would probably swoon me even more. it ultimately might even prompt a purchase in the near future!

3. moltenmagna

moltenmagna Electromatic

Mar 5, 2009
    Hong Kong
    Buy a Setzer Smoke. For the Ray Butts pickups and the finish.

MKunie likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I agree with molten,that new Setzer Smoke looks like it could be perfection ,for that Filter Tron tone,and it looks fooking fabulous !:cool:

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am a fan of the VS line sadly I dont have any of them. I would ask do they both have the same neck profile? HS filters, Setzers, tarmond, Dynas Hilos, Super Hilos, Ray Butts etc all sound good to me so for me it would come down to neck profile I like more V if possible if they necks were the same then I would decide which flavor of pickup I want and which looked better to me.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Gerry!
    welcome mat orange.jpg

indeedido likes this.
  7. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Like the VS too but sadly a lot of us can’t afford the price tag.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I lucked into a great deal on a new Smoke. It was still over the budget, but it was and is as close as I’ll ever get to ordering custom without going custom. As I looked at cheaper options, what I would change on them, and what that would add to the cost, that kept bringing back to the Smoke.

9. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    However, I don’t see any Smoke listings now that match the deal I got. That could change though - you just have to be patient. I watched for quite a while before the right deal came up.

sanhozay likes this.
  10. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    It’s good thought that Gretsch is making alot of great Electromatic and Streamliners that are really close to the proline look for those who can’t afford the prolines right now and their quality is really good for the most part.

11. manunk

manunk Gretschie

I bought a 59 Chet about 4 years ago, found that I had to work the controls too much, and it was too much work. The body was not easy to get used to....first guitar I ever felt uncomfortable with. Sold it, plan to get a cheaper one ..., they are great. Will try the BS if any local store brings one it to stock but I have observed that prolines take a long time to sell in the stores here.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    welcome... there is no production gretsch out at this moment with a better if not almost custom shop feel, fit and finish.. than the new 2020 Setzer Smoke. I've had wayyy to many gretsch guitars in my years, but this guitar takes the cake. Gretsch has a new benchmark IMO

roadjunkie, sanhozay and sgarnett like this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Just want to say "welcome to the forum". I'm no help on the differences of the 6120's. Good luck on your choice.

14. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Hello. I've owned a 2013 SSLVO and a 2015 6120-59LTV (essentially the same as a 59VS). In terms of which one is a better buy I would not place one above the other and if your primary goal is to get a high quality 6120 hollow body then you can't go wrong with either of these. They each have different features so it really just comes down to personal preference. If you shop around a bit both can be found on the used market for about the same price and both will have a similar resale value depending on condition. Let me know if I can answer any more specific questions.

15. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 59VS have the small frets, and the Setzer have medium jumbo? That seems to be a fairly big difference, depending on your preferences. I don't think you can go wrong with either guitar.

sgarnett and sanhozay like this.
  16. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Correct.

Plus a zero fret and floating bar bridge.

I prefer Setzer's reversed mod on the two toggle switches. It just makes more sense that the pickup selector is near to your picking hand. And a pinned TOM bridge is nice to have.

sgarnett and cqscqs like this.
  17. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Comes down to which features you want. Both are equally great guitars. I chose the SSLVO. I definitely prefer the larger frets.

18. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Get the Smoke and be done.
    if I’m not playing mine I’m thinking about playing it. Sometimes I just stare at it.

upload_2020-10-26_14-29-36.jpeg

Echocat23, new6659, sgarnett and 3 others like this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville! I'm sure the fine folks here will steer you in the right direction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.