G5622T Strap Knob Screw is loosening itself

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by HypnoticKnight, Nov 27, 2021.

1. HypnoticKnight

HypnoticKnight Electromatic

Nov 27, 2021
    Germany
    Hello there,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post here. I am a long-time Las Paul player, but recently I bought a Gretsch G5622T in Aspen Green colour, see it in the attached picture, framed by my two single cut guitars....

I really love the guitar, also my guitar teacher played it for a while and liked it pretty much.
    But there's one thing:
    Strap knob screw at the guitar neck side is loosening itself, once I screw the top piece on. It's a left-hand thread, so one I screw the top piece a bit more tight, it turns the bottom screw out of the body. So its practically impossible for me to tighten the strap knot well, because the screw always winds itself out of the body.

Reading this forum thread I learned, that it's apparently the chinese produced models which bear these left-handed threads.
    So I guess this might be a well-known problem.

How shall I deal with it?
    Shall I return the guitar?

Regards,
    Sascha.

PXL_20211127_142005073.jpg

mrfixitmi and Merc like this.
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome!
    The Gretsch strap buttons look cool but in reality they’re pretty useless! Every Gretsch I’ve owned has had the problem of these working lose especially when playing live.
    I replace mine with Schaller strap locks.

3. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I've read that some people make it work with a block on the inside of the body for the screw to go in. They do this with a wood block and a piece of string (so they can pull the string tight while they're trying to drive the screw in. Once that is secure, in theory, you should be good to go.

Other solutions I've heard of include a sheetrock anchor but that seems scary as hell to me.

All that said, my G5420T is a lap guitar because I haven't tried the first and don't have the stones to drill for the second...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    section2 likes this.
  4. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Pull complete unit out of guitar.. dab wood glue on coarse wood thread and screw back into guitar..clean fine threads of thumb and post with a dab of oil n Q-tip.
    After glue has cured resume to strap n jam.

Mr Twangy and section2 like this.
  5. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Wow - left threaded knobs seem like a bad idea. I would either replace them with the old school right-to-tight gretsch knobs or upgrade to schaller strap locks. I'm unsure what either woudl cost in Euros but it would be under $20US for either option.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Loctite or straplocks. I had a Gretsch fall once. Didn't get damaged, but, lesson learned. Straplocks are insurance.

Archtops likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hello @HypnoticKnight and welcome to the forum . Strap Locks are about the best " insurance policy " for any guitar . One of the best upgrades you can do . Most here use the Schaller Strap Lock . Half on the guitar and half on the strap
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 11.21.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 11.22.10 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 11.21.17 AM.png

db62, Merc, Trash Kidd and 1 other person like this.
  8. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    OK this is ironic - I was just logging in with a similar issue... I have a new 5427T (the GC special run with P90s). I cannot get the body screws out for the strap buttons. Are they reverse threaded???

UPDATE: Grrrr yes they are reverse threaded. For the original poster: I have been steadily replacing strap buttons (Gretsch and non-Gretsch alike) with Schaller-style locks. Too many of the traditional buttons have loosened up on me and it makes me feel better to have something more secure.

I just discovered the longer strap locks that work with thicker straps. They seems well made.

IMG_4268.jpg

Archtops likes this.
  9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I did the wood block reinforcement trick on my G3900. It worked very well. That screw is never coming out again.

Another possibility: if you're finding that you need to screw the button on so tightly that it's causing the left-handed wood screw to back out of the guitar, the solution might be to put a dab of blue Loc-Tite on the threads that the button screws onto (not the threads that go into the guitar). That would keep the strap button tight secure without having to over-tighten it. I use Loc-Tite on my button threads, and it keeps the buttons from loosening while I'm playing. Just make sure it's blue Loc-Tite. The red Loc-Tite will make a permanent bond that can only be removed with a flamethrower.

10. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    I had this sort of thing happen on my first 5420 and it ended up being the stud threads had stripped on the knob side. I replaced them with real Gretsch ones , but if I had to do it again , locking strap locks would be my choice.

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Welcome.
    Just a short info if you should consider putting on Schaller Straplocks:
    There are two versions.
    The "old one" with just a simple nut and a washer and the "new one" with a nut that has a securing skrew on it`s side.
    The last one is working fine.
    The first one is a "wellspring" of trouble.
    They are still sold by Schaller and various imitators.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If the Schaller aesthetic does not agree with you, maybe try the Duesenberg Multi-lock.
    [​IMG]

section2, Henry and Archtops like this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT! The Duesenberg Multi-lock should be easy to get where you’re at.

14. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    what I don't get is, the issue seems to stem from there being nothing to grab onto in the body. How does Schaller or really any brand combat that?

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My favorite! I love them. Don't use locks. I try to put these on all my guitars even my Martin acoustic.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Try to put a thin piece of wood in the hole or along the side of the screw.

Merc likes this.
  17. HypnoticKnight

Nov 27, 2021
    Germany
    Thanksfor all your suggestions.

I think I could go with both the Schaller S locks and the Duesenberg Multi Locks as well.

Do the screws of both products fit into the screw holes on the Gretsch G5622T‘s body, without having to widen the holes?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    They should fit just fine.. I’ve never had any problems fitting Schallers & they usually come with a couple of different size screws in the pack…

19. HypnoticKnight

Nov 27, 2021
    Germany
    Thanks, I just ordered a set of them!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  20. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Btw, the reverse-threaded screw of the stock lock is actually Philips on the end, even though it is headless. One of mine came loose the first time I used it. I just snugged it down gently, and it’s been holding fine. Schaller S-Locks are still on my todo list though.

Randy99CL likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.