G5620t

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by mattg448, Jan 21, 2021.

1. mattg448

mattg448 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Canada
    Hello there,

I just recently bought this, I understand that they revamped the electromatic series, but any time I search this model I keep getting results from the older 5620t. I'm just curious if the electronics/hardware is the same from the older models but just a new headstock, binding, and the position of "electromatic"

Even where I bought it from doesn't have this model on their website, and I can't seem to find it on gretsch's website either, only 5622t keep popping up for me.

I'm confident i'm doing something wrong, lol

Any help is appreciated

IMG_2316.JPG

ramjac, michelb, ffc65 and 4 others like this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don't quote me as I'm not sure but wasn't that colour a FSR, either way it looks awesome, would love to own one.

What is the year model on the serial number, the electro series was revamped in 2016/2017 I think (others would know more then me as I'm guessing on this one really).

3. mattg448

mattg448 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Canada
    The model number says 20067689. I'm not sure what FSR is lol

Stefan87 likes this.
  4. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hi Matt, and welcome. Not sure about the electronics in that model, but somebody should be along soon with some ideas.

cheers

5. mattg448

mattg448 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Canada
    Thank you Brian,

Nice to be here and to own a Gretsch. Some time after the wedding but before a baby is on the way I'm hoping to get a Pro series lol. However the guitar in the picture plays wonderful. Sounds like I got better over night haha

BrianW likes this.
  6. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Sometime between the....... ah, the matter of timing is everything! Are you in or near a bigger city that might have some good deals on a used proline? Nothing at all wrong with the electromatics (or streamliners from what I read - don't have one) but the prolines are just fantastic.

Best of luck with that!

7. mattg448

mattg448 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Canada
    I am, and to be honest that's something I didn't quite think of.

So what exactly is the difference for such a price increase? I'm assuming all the electronics/hardware? I'm also assuming these guitars are cut by a machine so the body's would be more or less the same no? Regardless, for the level i'm at, these Electromatics are doing the trick

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hi Matt welcome to GT. FSR is Factory Special Run, where a vendor orders a certain number of guitars with special attributes. In this case I'd say the color was special ordered.
    Great looking guitar hope you find more info on it.

9. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I have only played and own 1 proline: a 6122-1959. I do have Gent from 1960 but that's a different story. And a few electromatics for comparison. So I may not be the best source of information, but... first I understand the electronics are better quality or tighter tolerances. Also can be different pickups.

For general build standards it could very well be that although the pieces are machine cut the wood selected for the prolines might be better grain etc.

Finally I think the "finishing touches" - the time consuming stuff, which is expensive, are more exacting on the prolines. Fret finishing.. that kind of thing. Overall a noticeable step up.

My personal and limited experience only. Again, this is not to suggest the electromatics are not good instruments; the ones I have are staying!

cheers

10. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Can you see the label in the sound hole? I assume the serial number is prefaced by 2 letters - probably KS?I'm thinking it is a brand spanking new 2020 model 5420T as a Factory Special Run from Long & McQuade in Canada. A 5620was an older model with Electromatic on the headstock. Yours is like the newer releases on the pickguard. Plus a 5620T has cats eyes sound holes not f holes. Long & McQuade always gets some uber cool FSR colors. Welcome to the group Matt and awesome looking guitar.

new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Matt, as Dana said it's a special order for a vendor and going off that serial number then it's a 2020 June model.

I'm sure someone else posted one on here the other day regarding the colour but it looks great.

12. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    Beautiful color congrads and enjoy.

13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Did a quick search, as Dak55 said it was a run for L&M, I found this but no other info, maybe give them a call and see if they can send you through the complete specs on your guitar.
    extra_large.jpg

14. mattg448

mattg448 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Canada
    Yes it does have KS in front, and I did buy it from L&M. Thank you very much for the info!

15. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Weird, but it wouldn't be the first time Gretsch recycled model numbers.

Stefan87 likes this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So true, makes things so much more confusing.

17. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Welcome! Love that purple!:)

18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The model numbers on these are frustrating.

I would think a 5620 would be comparable to the 5420 or 2420? Nope, they are hollow and this one has a centerblock. Hmm.
    Is it more like the US G5622?

19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum . Beautiful guitar , enjoy

20. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    This is neat.

But I am confused, just because I thought the 5620 model was out of production

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.