G5420T - Volume oddness

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by willwills, Sep 20, 2020.

1. willwills

willwills Newbie

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    I have a relatively new G5420T and it has a particular "thing" it does with volume. Please tolerate dumb questions because maybe this is the way all Gretsch's work but -

The volume knob - both overall and by pickup - seems to graduate normally, UNTIL, I get to the last little bit before max volume and then it clearly jumps up significantly. The tonal quality gets better and the volume is louder. That appears to be the case with both volumes. Is that normal?

Thanks and man I love my guitar, by the way.

2. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    My 5420T does that, as well.....but, in my case, it seems like all my guitars do that to some degree. I've never had a really expensive electric, so maybe that's just par for the course with the pots they use to get to a certain price point? My buddy built a guitar for me several years ago, and that one does it, too...and I know he used decent parts...

willwills likes this.
  3. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Isn’t that 50s wiring? I have most of my guitars wired that way.

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Potentiometers are available in many different windings, tapers, that affect how they react. The two most common are audio and linear taper.
    Audio taper is used most often in guitars and is logarithmic, it's not a smooth response, it changes the most at the beginning or end of the travel. Some I've tested have been 60% at three, 75% at five and 95% at nine.
    Linear taper changes gradually in a smooth manner, when it is on 5 the resistance is 50%, 7 is 70% etc.

But the response is complicated because it reflects the total relationship between the pickups, wiring and the other components.

Not talking down to anyone, just trying to explain why you are getting the response you posted.

What you're getting seems to be normal for most guitars. You could try changing component values and tapers but for most of us it's just not worth the time and energy.
    When I switch out the pickups and rewire my Les Paul I'm going to use linear taper tone pots and see if I like them better. I should get a smoother, more controllable variation in treble cut.

mrfixitmi, willwills and OzzPocket like this.
  5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    willwills likes this.
  6. willwills

willwills Newbie

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    Thank you. Makes sense!

7. willwills

willwills Newbie

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, willwills!
    Florida welcome mat.jpg

9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum. Now go play your G5420T it's acting normal for the way it's wired.

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    This is from the "taper" of your potentiometers and the behavior of potentiometers themselves.

Without question, tone gets better with greater volume and for several reasons. This is because when you turn down your volume, it's not turning down all the frequencies equally. In short, it acts like a filter that subtracts more and more highs as you turn it down. You can reduce this behavior by using a treble bleed cap.

But also, potentiometers have a taper to them that dictates how reduced the volume is at a given point in the dial. It can be designed in many different ways. What you perceive as a jump in volume is due to this taper. You could replace that with a different potentiometer that won't have so much jump.

11. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    PS - Logarithmic pots are typically used in audio applications because this relates to the logarithmic scale on how the ear perceives loudness and why that is typically measured in a logarithmic scale of decibels.

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.