G5420T replacement locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by GuitarGene, Jan 13, 2021 at 6:22 AM.

1. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Hi, would any of you happen to know if there is a set of suitable locking tuners available for the G5420T where the screw holes line up correctly?

I put locking tuners on nearly every guitar I own. I normally get them from a supplier in UK at a good price (non branded but extremely stable) . I can use the ones I normally install but the old screw holes will be seen and I will have to drill new ones but that is no big deal. Sometimes the holes for the shafts have to be increased but I have tools for that job also but if I could get a set of tuners that are a straight swap it would be best.

So, are there direct replacement locking tuners available that line up on the G5420T?

Thanks, Eugene.

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    mike77rios and Henry like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I found none that fit a 5420 properly other than the ones @HypotenusLuvTriangle suggested. They work very well and are completely reversible.

30517CC0-B07C-42B8-9481-FE5216BBCA1C.jpeg

48760D1F-7489-4E49-B1A5-95338D21B8E5.jpeg CB55472F-5AD0-43A6-9A17-7CF6118EE3FA.jpeg

michelb likes this.
  4. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    They look interesting guys , I will check them out. Thanks

5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    You can also get this add on called the Xtender...
    Allows you to do drop D tuning. And if you get the Double Xtender, you can do Drop D and Drop C.
    The tuning stability on it is really good. Its a Grover product that Hipshot sells.
    https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-xtenders

G5232T Mod 4.jpeg

michelb likes this.
  6. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    I think you can change the buttons if you wish too

Runamok, MyGirlGretta and Henry like this.
  7. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Extender is interesting for another guitar I have.

Do these plate things add much weight, I'm thinking about neck dive here?

8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Mine is on a 5420 so there is no neck dive. If they were on a double cut jet I guess it could be an issue. My DC Jet dove with no additional help :D

9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    No. the plates are thin aluminum. Don't weigh much at all. My G5232T does have neck dive, but its not because of the tuners. One of these days I'm gonna re-position the strap button as suggested by a few other members to help accommodate for that.

BentFX and capnhiho like this.
  10. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    Be sure to move the strap button somewhere there is sufficient wood mass to screw into on the hollowbody!

Skydog likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I had hip shots installed on my 6110JR2 recommended by my luthier to be as good as but lighter than other leading locking tuners (Schaller, Gotoh, etc.).

12. Skydog

Skydog Gretschie

Dec 19, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd much rather look at an empty screw hole than those big ol' nasty looking plates.

BentFX and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I went with Sperzel EZ Mount locking tuners. I’ve put them on 3 guitars.
    The holes needed to be enlarged, but it was worth it.
    The old screw holes can be seen, but I’m happier to see those holes than the hipshot aluminum plate.

Skydog likes this.
  14. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Sorry guys but these look awfully bulky and might make the guitars neck heavy. I have never had any problem with the stock tuners. Sometimes lubricating the nut slots is all that's needed and locking tuners are averkill really. Just my 2 cts...

Scott and Skydog like this.
  15. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    new6659 likes this.
  16. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    I think I will go with a set of the ones I normally get. The screw holes will be exposed but really won't be seen, I can probably do a job on them anyway. I have a set of Sperzel ones on a guitar I did a serious lot of gigging with but it needed a fret job but kinda not worth doing as the guitar only worth so much anyway, so I put a high nut on it, installed new electronics and pots and set it up for E tuning slide work. I could take those off and put them on the G5420 either as the slide one will not be used only once or twice a night (stick the G5420T tuners on it)

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    My stock ones were fine but I was seriously getting annoyed with the lack of tuning stability when using the Bigsby so I decided to attack every aspect of the issue. I put on a high quality roller bridge, a Zero Fret and locking tuners. Tuning stability is just about perfect now. Did the tuners help? Probably not, but they are convenient.

michelb and Runamok like this.
  18. MyGirlGretta

MyGirlGretta Gretschie

Jul 23, 2012
    ca
    Sperzel Trim Lok Ez Mount is what I went with. Super easy install. Just ream with a reamer. Put in bushings, level, and tighten

Edit: Tape off to help prevent chipping. Working from bottom to top level then tighten. So do the bottom two. Middle two. Then top two. To clarify how I did mine.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    GuitarGene and calebaaron666 like this.
  19. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Going to need a closer look.
    Hit that thumb lever & & it rings a bell?

Validates tickets for the trolley?

MyGirlGretta give an update how you like the new tuners down the road apiece. I don’t relish making permanent changes to an instrument that I don’t know will leave me happy afterward.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.