G5420T pickup swap

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Haz5420, Oct 18, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

1. Haz5420

Haz5420 Electromatic

Jul 1, 2020
    London
    Hello fellow Gretsch lovers!

I'm looking to get the newer version of the G5420T electromatic, I think it's a stunning guitar.

Do any of you have recommendations on pickups that would get me the closest to a 60s country gent or white falcon players edition? Looking for a Thick & Bold sound that could get me some rich jazz tones too.

Preferably based off the classic filtertron with the "U.S. PAT. 2892871" engraved on the top.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Harry

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Howdy!
    The players edition Falcon comes with HS Filtertrons and those are available to buy separately. Great pickups!

You will need to buy or make adapters to mount then to the 5420T because the HS’s are made to be mounted to wood on the guitar whereas the pickups on the 5420T are mounted to the pickup rings.
    It’s easy to make happen.

Someone will be along shortly to post a link to the adapters.

Outlaw and Haz5420 like this.
  3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Hs filtertrons are pretty easy to come by and sound great. I had a players edition with those pickups. It was the most perfect guitar I’d ever owned. In fact it was too perfect. Sounded amazing though. For a country gent sound I’d go with tv supertrons with the rails on them. I had a 5420 with those. They were fantastic. If you’re wanting a solid vintage sound though, Ray Butts are the way to go. I have a 6120 with those and they’re amazing. Handle pedals really well too. My falcon has a tv classic+ in the bridge and a classic in the neck. Really versatile combination

Outlaw, Haz5420 and calebaaron666 like this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I decided to install TVJ’s in my 5420 after seeing the Malpass Brothers perform live. Taylor’s Gent is factory equipped with a Supertron neck and a Classic+ bridge:
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/artists/taylor-malpass-profile

I don’t begin to pretend that my 5420 sounds like a G6122-59 Vintage Select, but the tone is greatly improved from the Blacktop Filtertrons (which I really liked!). Several other G-T members enjoy this same combination of pickups - I recall very few negative comments about this particular upgrade.

Outlaw, Tele295, audept and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.