G5420T love

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    +++A1

2. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Your remark makes me consider adding a sound post the Streamliner. Does it sound like a good idea?
    Are they usually glued in btw?

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Grabbed my 5420 yesterday and played it for a couple hours. It has not received much attention as of late with the acquisition of my Pro Line Jet. I was again amazed at how close the build quality is between these Korean Electromatics and the Japanese ProLines.

I just love the darn thing

9D702185-39FC-4CE2-9534-77106CEF7EBC.jpeg

4. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    This just confirms to me the G5420 I bought as my first Gretsch was the right call. Now thinking of modding it to get it close to a Proline and save my money towards that gorgeous new limited edition Penguin.

bobk likes this.
  5. Trencherman

Trencherman Newbie

Jan 25, 2020
    Dallas, Texas
    That'a a nice piece of art right there.

6. bobk

bobk Electromatic

Dec 30, 2017
    Nc
    thinking the same thing myself.....Sperzel tuners and TvJones pickups are NEXT on my list......just added a Reverand Spring and it made a Huge difference in playability for only $10........

calebaaron666 and Outlaw like this.
  7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Here’s a pic of my 5420 with GFS gold foils. The pickup were an experiment and very inexpensive, however, the guitar sounds amazing with these pickups and they’re staying put .. the flame sticker is covering a blemish on the pick guard, ha! 2894BF2B-20D6-449B-A725-41D4A285FE85.jpeg

larryb, BorderRadio, radd and 2 others like this.
  8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’m on my third 5420. I like them but I have a hard time bonding with them so I keep selling them. Something happened in 2019 though they seem more resonant and more comfortable for some reason. I’m really liking the current one. A 135 anniversary model. Buuuut I’m thinking of selling it. I want another falcon or possibly a country club so I may sell a few of my guits to raise the funds.
    upload_2020-1-25_20-25-56.jpeg

calebaaron666, radd and jfassett like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m not sure they need to be glued in, if made correctly. A little tension from the back to front is all you need, and the strings will compress the top and post down even more. Besides, you may decide you liked the SL better without it, you can pop it out with no wood damage.

I like the differences, so no post in my SL. The SL notes bloom out faster, thump a little harder, it’s a slightly different percussive attack when plugged in. It’s also really loud acoustically, kinda cool it can function like a jazz box should.

sgarnett and mschafft like this.
  10. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I'll leave it as is for now because it's stable and sounds great.

11. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    That's such a pretty colour.

Joey L likes this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I just ordered my first Gretsch, a G5420t with the thumbnail inlays in orange. I've been wanting a Gretsch for a good 12 years, glad one is finally on the way!

sgarnett, audept and rake_ether like this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Shadowy_Man !
    welcome mat orange.jpg

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.