G5420T love

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Jan 12, 2020.

1. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    The orange stain G5420T got a new set of strap buttons (the retro ones were getting loose and impractical for me). I played a few chords unplugged last night and was very pleasantly surprised at the openness and sweetness of the acoustic tones. I guess the larger f-holes make a difference explaining why my G2420T sounds slightly boxier acoustically. Anyway, it was one of those moments where you put the final touch (new Gretsch walnut leather strap too) after a long process of getting the guitar to play the way you want and feeling the result overcoming expectations. Just wanted to share the joy!

sgarnett, G5422T, Henry and 8 others like this.
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congrats,
    Bububububut.... Pixs or it didn't happen!

Silver gringo and CalicoSkies like this.
  3. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sgarnett, Outlaw, bobk and 12 others like this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

A shiny piece of art.

ZackyDog and mschafft like this.
  5. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I too have much love for the G5420T, mine in Aspen Green.

Sybo, ZackyDog and mschafft like this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    There are some great Electromatics, but I think the 5420 has captured the 6120 mojo in a stunningly made package. Other guitars come and go in my house but mine will never be sold.

mschafft and rake_ether like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice!
    I bet cash money the 2420T sounds ‘boxier’ because it don’t have a sound post like the 5420T :)

ZackyDog and mschafft like this.
  8. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    She’s a beauty.

mschafft likes this.
  9. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I gotta agree. I modded out my orange 5420 with HS Filtertrons, locking tuners, gold surrounds and pickguard, Compton bridge, Squishy spring and filed down nub on the Bigsby arm bracket , jack plate, Zero Glide Zero fret.. and probably other stuff I don't remember.. LOL. Then I was fortunate enough to acquire a 6120! I was floored to see that the difference between the two was really negligible for me. Other than the slight difference in neck shape (a hair thinner on the 6120, which I like) and the mud switch (which I really don't like), not being a professional anymore, I actually am thinking of selling the 6120! Nuts, but can't justify having two guitars that are so close in spec. Saving grace is to put Dynasonics in the 5420, but can't seem to find an easy way to mount them, but that might be my project for 2020.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    ZackyDog, TSims1 and radd like this.
  10. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Electromatic

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    What buttons are those, and do you know if they're available in gold?

mschafft likes this.
  11. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Love my 2016 5420...... I installed TV Classics, Reverend Softspring, and strap locks....use Thomastick BeeBop Round would 11s which are full sounding, incredibly balanced and feel like 10s under my hands....and they last forever.
    I keep this guitar in the stand all the time in my music room because I play it everyday.
    8D539593-7AB0-4EAD-9017-A4C2C4066E54.jpeg

ZackyDog, CalicoSkies, Thass and 3 others like this.
  12. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I used these but with Fender felt pads and non original screws:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10P...800154?hash=item5d78de685a:g:llwAAOSw-xVaMOyN

They come in gold with a very similar shape :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pieces-...156737?hash=item3d875f0641:g:GVgAAOSwXgFcoWUf

The screws that came with these buttons were very thin. Fortunately, I had slightly bigger ones which happened to match the original holes perfectly.

BTW I cut the Fender felt pads in halves because they are super thick (it also doubles the number of pads quite conveniently).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  13. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    After hitting a few guitar shops when I was in Austin, and playing both guitars, I had a tough time justifying the price tags of the 6120 vs the 5420, especially after loading TV Classics in a 5420....both were exceptional guitars. Just my evaluation and I do own high end Fenders, Heritage and Gibson guitars

TSims1 and emitex like this.
  14. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    Joey how do you like that Princeton Reverb? I want a super clean amp that doesn’t break my back. The goal is to run a wet dry signal. I love all the chatter about modding the 5420t.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

5420’s are fantastic after some mods. And not a lot of mods at that. And since I like a bigger neck.....5420’s are always attractive. Still though, a 6120 is a PREMIUM instrument and certainly “nicer” imo.

Joey L likes this.
  16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I also have a pair of TV Jones Classics in mine, and a set of Sperzel locking tuners.
    IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3652.JPG

sgarnett, ZackyDog, mschafft and 2 others like this.
  17. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I also prefer the feel of the larger neck..just feels a lot more comfortable for me..

TSims1 likes this.
  18. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I also changed the bridge to a quality roller. Due to the pinned bridge, I needed something with adjustable saddles so I could properly intonate the guitar, which a fixed bridge would not allow.youll note the holes I drilled in the pickguard to make pick up adjustment simpler.
    D8D86CB5-56E7-45EC-BD82-83419AAA28D6.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    sgarnett, jfassett, rob batz and 3 others like this.
  19. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Which bridge is that? Looks good. Also, drilling holes win the pick guard, I had never thought of that, great idea.

20. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I got that bridge from All Parts years ago and had it in my spare parts bin...I was lucky it had a 12” radius.

CalicoSkies and cqscqs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.