G5220 new bridge question...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Wood1933, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wood1933

Wood1933 Newbie

Jun 7, 2021
    U.K.
    Hi all

Loving my new G5220 but having a few intonation and tuning issues, thinking of trying a Gotoh "GE 103B-T

Anyone know if it will slot straight in as a replacement without any modifications?

Thanks

W

2. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    I added one to my Jet Club and it was a drop in. Well worth the few dollars it cost as it eliminated the rattle from the stock bridge and the Nashville style is much better for intonation. Looking at a picture of a 5220 and it has the same posts with the slot on top so it should work.

Wood1933 and jfassett like this.
  3. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I put one on my 5220, no problem, way better than the stock bridge and a great value!

Mr Twangy likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Here are the tuners I installed on my G5220LH-DCM "Custom Jet" :

upload_2021-6-7_19-53-48.png

As far as I remember, they were direct replacement with the original ones. Here is the pic of the back of the headstock, with thoses tuners :

upload_2021-6-7_20-0-4.png

A+!

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Aw, sorry @Wood1933 - my bad - I thought that you were speaking about tuners when I read tuning issues and Gotoh - not the bridge ! :confused::oops:

A+!

Attached Files:

Wood1933 likes this.
  6. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Good to see the picture anyway, I was thinking of getting those. :)

hcsterg likes this.
  7. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Here’s mine. Didn’t even have to take the bushings out. Just screwed the posts down and dropped it on. B84D62CD-DD57-4F96-8CF3-6FC3D8B9A3FA.jpeg

8. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    Tuning and intonation - before you spend any money, check the nut for binding and slot height. The G on one of mine wouldn't hold its tuning and chords sounded weird due to bad intonation until I sorted out the nut. Now its perfect. Five-minute fix.

karol likes this.
  9. karol

karol Electromatic

Dec 27, 2018
    Sydney
    I do have a similar problem with my new Gretsch Streamliner G2655t. I did set up intonation few times, but it still doesn't really intonate... so, how do you check the nut for binging and slot height? I understand that it will take me more than 5 mins but still worth trying and learning something, before I get a luthier to cut a new one :D

10. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    Binding means there will be a "plink" sound when you adjust tuning, bend strings or use the vibrato because the nut slots are either not quite wide enough or are slightly off-angle (however, it may also be due to the string binding at the bridge but a bit of pencil graphite usually does the trick to ease this). For nut slot height, basically, I followed this advice:

karol likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.