G5220 Dark Cherry Metallic (Black Walnut) vs Firestick Red (Laurel)

Achille17

Electromatic
May 23, 2022
Switzerland
Hello,

I'm unsure about which g5220 model to choose: the old one in Dark Cherry Metallic with Black Walnut fingerboard or the new one in Firestick Red with Laurel fingerboard.

Are they other differences to help me to choose the right one for me?

Thanks for your help!

Achille

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
I recently went to two different Guitar Centers to check out these guitars and each had 2, one in Firestick Red and one in Jade Grey. In each location one guitar was a real gem and the other was just really good. Neither were bad but one most definitely outshined the other. In the one the Firestick Red one was the gem and in the other one the Jade Grey one was the gem. You must go play them and decide. Even within the same model there are subtle differences that make all the difference between a good guitar and a great guitar.

I believe it when players say their particular Squier is better than Fenders they have played. This can happen with less expensive guitars when all of the elements come together to make something greater than the sum of the parts. It's like The Beatles. They were all good musicians and singers but together they are still considered the greatest band of all time because of the chemistry they had together. Yes, I bought my Duo Jet online from Rocky at StreetSounds in 2012 but only because it was a really good deal and I could send it back within 3 days no questions asked if I didn't think it was a gem. Fortunately I took him at his word that it was, and it is. Other that that, I have only ever bought guitars I have played first, had built or put together myself.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
If you particularly want a dark fretboard then I would ask for additional pictures from the seller. The color seems to vary quite a bit and some of them may be dyed.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
Hello,

I'm unsure about which g5220 model to choose: the old one in Dark Cherry Metallic with Black Walnut fingerboard or the new one in Firestick Red with Laurel fingerboard.

Are they other differences to help me to choose the right one for me?

Thanks for your help!

Achille
The walnut is most likely dyed or stained - the walnut fretboard on my 2018 Double Jet is definitely stained and is fading somewhat after use. It’s not unsightly or anything, but it is noticeable.
Neck profiles on 2018 and earlier Asian Jets are also a little chunkier (“standard U”), while newer models are slimmer with better upper fret access. I sought out a 2018 because the slimmer neck isn’t compatible with my arthritis.

YaDaddy

Gretschie
Mar 16, 2020
Marietta, GA
The fretboards are going to complete the look of either one of your 5220 finish choices. (FYI - seller pics usually don’t represent fretboard color well) I’ve been studying and dealing with your concern for quite a while and in my experience the dark cherry models tend to have consistently dyed dark black walnut fretboards, which are key to the look of that color palette. The firestick red models are all over the place with Laurel wood. Some very dark dyed boards and some more natural brown with lots of figure in the wood. The color palette on the FSR really works well with the dark fretboard, but I have seen some brown wavy figured ones that work well with that finish also. (Note: The dye job on those boards is very fragile and cleaning/polishing the board or frets will remove it.)
I suspect that some of the early FSR 5220s might have received black walnut fretboards. Mine is early production, the board is black as soot and it looks amazing. Ironically this one was an eBay buy where the seller got the color wrong. I thought I was buying a dark cherry and received a FSR. Fortunately it worked out, but I’m still trying to acquire the dark cherry metallic.
These pics in bright direct sunlight show off how that fire stick red finish is a real chameleon. It looks almost salmon color in these shots.

097D2A14-26DB-4002-9B45-2E85F57CF99C.jpeg C95B6679-EA30-464F-AA5C-0B2963D3DC08.jpeg 1E56006B-2A93-42EE-8463-6A50AC4EC515.jpeg 94C9AD4C-AB43-421A-94A0-8EF512174834.jpeg

Last edited:

Wood Hollow

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Indiana
Color is simply a factor of the reflection and absorption of light. Of course, all light sources have different light waves and therefore produce different color. This explains why a fleeing getaway car gets described so differently depending on which light source it was viewed under. Some of the coolest guitars I’ve seen are plain white under stage lights.

Achille17

Electromatic
May 23, 2022
Switzerland
I've just received my guitar. It looks as fine as those of toastkid and YaDaddy. Very pleased!

That's the first time I buy such a cheap guitar and I'm surprised how good it is.

YaDaddy

Gretschie
Mar 16, 2020
Marietta, GA
I've just received my guitar. It looks as fine as those of toastkid and YaDaddy. Very pleased!

That's the first time I buy such a cheap guitar and I'm surprised how good it is.
Uhhhh pics.

Yeah it’s surprising the quality you can get with the right manufacturer these days. I’m a used/new 300-800 dollar (sometimes 1000) dollar guitar guy. I can tell when they’re cheaper and I don’t like it. Not into the streamliners. I can tell when they’re more expensive, but it’s lost on me. The extra money is a waste. If I spent that kind of money on guitars I’d love to have them, but it makes no sense for me to own new guitars in the $1500 plus range. So glad there is such a wealth of great examples out there in my zone and my three 5220s still need a DCM brother!

Achille17

Electromatic
May 23, 2022
Switzerland
Since I enjoyed very much your pics, I should indeed post mine.

20220527_183819.jpg

All my guitars are in the range $1500-2000, so that I'm afraid to take them out and keep them safe at home. So I was looking for a cheap guitar for gigging without worrying too much. Very happy with my choice!

YaDaddy

Gretschie
Mar 16, 2020
Marietta, GA
Since I enjoyed very much your pics, I should indeed post mine.

View attachment 181665

All my guitars are in the range $1500-2000, so that I'm afraid to take them out and keep them safe at home. So I was looking for a cheap guitar for gigging without worrying too much. Very happy with my choice!
That’s funny. I worry and protect my 300-800 guitars the same way. LOL

If I were out playing live these days I would have to buy duplicates of what I already have to use as road dogs.